Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Ilya Mikheyev to 4-Year Deal ($4.75M AAV)

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
This team has no cap. People are complaining about Pearson at 3.25 for 2 more years, but without a doubt I would take that for what he provides relative to his hit than this guy at 4.75

They should have tapped out once his ask passed 4 million. You are betting HARD on the fact he is young and will score at a 20+ pace again. If he's a 15 goal 35 point player, his contract will be a massive disappointment. Guys like Copp and Trochek went for 5.625 each. Mikheyev is absolutely not 90% of those guys.

Pearson cant skate, you cannot have pearson and boeser on the wings and not skate anymore, its like banging your head against the wall. I would sell pearson and his contract off for next to nothing but no team wants him by the sounds of it.

Callhee

Embrace the hate.
Aug 24, 2009
Which is weird because moving Hog or Garlic makes us slower.
Definitely, but I am thinking JR's vision for speed is not waterbugs like Garland, and Hoglander but big speedsters like Mikheyev. I think there is a place for the small quick skilled forwards like Garland and Hoglander but I am not sure whether it makes sense to have two on the roster.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
We have, if it's possible, too many top9 wingers. Could move 1, possibly 2 as teams that struck out at FA come calling?

Maybe there's a way to get a 3C in return. Probably not a top4 d though.

PuckFather

Oct 14, 2014
JB reaction :)

Attachments

• breaking-news (16).png
    breaking-news (16).png
    1,016.4 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
Man oh man, if the Mikheyev deal was even 750k cheaper this would be SUCH a good first day for our group.

I mean, there simply has to be a deal somewhere to shed salary no?

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
This seems like a lot on the surface.

But I'm already liking that they're insulating Podkolzin with some senior Russian talent. This should have a positive impact on his game.

I guess we'll see if this last year was an aberration. I definitely don't love the 4 years, wish we could have kept it at 2 or 3.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Kuzmenko-Petersson-Boeser
Podkolzin-Miller-Mikheyev
Hoglander-Horvat-Garland
Highmore-Lazar-Chiasson

Ship out Pearson+Dickinson+Poolman.

A man can dream right?

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
I'm not saying this isn't an overpayment but Dickinson was nowhere close to the same player
Agreed. The point is, you don’t give term to a likely bottom 6 forward tweener. Term and dollars. That’s gross.

This team in its state where it’s at shouldn’t be giving anyone more than 2 year deals. More often than not we are handcuffed by these 3-4 year deals.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I'm really surprised about the negativity of this signing. I think it's excellent, and the kind of player we sorely needed. He's maybe a year older than I would like and/or signed one year longer, but these are nitpicks and he's the kind of player I don't mind taking a chance on. An excellent ES player who is a nice add to what was a struggling PK for most of last year. How did most of this board think the Dickinson signing was good but are mad about this? Makes no sense. I have to think it's some kind of anti-Leafs thing where people just hate all players that come from Toronto, maybe.

And maybe the best part, is that they would not have made this signing if they didn't already have something else in place to ship salary out. We'll have to wait and see what it is.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Kuzmenko-Petersson-Boeser
Podkolzin-Miller-Mikheyev
Hoglander-Horvat-Garland
Highmore-Lazar-Chiasson

Ship out Pearson+Dickinson+Poolman.

A man can dream right?

Lol. “Ship out” our worst 3 players that nobody wants. That’s gonna cost some draft picks.

This contract is gross. FML. Legit worse than the Pearson contract that was signed a year ago. Like Sutter 2016 bad.

I actually agree. It reminds me of sutter tBH. Different player but basically paying 5M for 4 years for a 3rd line player / PKer.

Terrible.

Feb 19, 2018
I get it now, we can’t get any defence (especially the RS) so we go out and get all defensive forwards to supplement the back end. Bold plan! Our PK lost us a ton of games last year and I expect a bounce back from Dickinson next year, having one of these guys on the PK at all time could give us one of the best in the League. Lazar is no slouch either, indifferent to the signing before I see the finished product. Maybe we use a winger or Center for Weager in Florida as they just lost Giroux and definitely see a need there.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Im not confident in a player coming from Toronto’s system coming over and having the same underlying numbers carry over.

But we’ll see
Good speed
Shoots into the crest noted by leaf fans.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad