Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Ilya Mikheyev to 4-Year Deal ($4.75M AAV)

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
There was a lot of criticism of the player.

And a lot of the people criticizing the player were jealous of Seattle for paying a pick to acquire Bjorkstrand on a higher cap hit.
This is definitely better deal considering cost and return

I would guess that there's a lot of overlap with the people who didn't like this signing and the people who thought Garland had a bad year last year and for the same reason.
Garland has to be gone at some point this season

Feb 20, 2013
I think people were expecting a different use of the cap.
True that people wanted a defenseman signed. If the FA market was better for forwards though it makes sense. Still think there is far too much focus on position in the NHL.

A: More players should be played "out of position"
B: Having strength in one area means you can afford to trade to acquire pieces instead of looking to free agency. Free agency may be "free" but you generally seem to pay in the long term with the sorts of deals you have to hand out to win.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
We knew he has hands of stone, but his skating hasn't been there either, and he hasn't been good on the PK. His skating will improve as his knee recovers, and likely his PK performance too with his skating... But the return so far are very lackluster.

When he gets the puck in the offensive zone its an automatic turnover. He cant receive or give a pass. Take him off of Petey's wing so we can have 1 line that can sustain possession in the Ozone.

Most people seem to be happy with his game. Are we watching the same player?

Reactions: BimJenning

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
We knew he has hands of stone, but his skating hasn't been there either, and he hasn't been good on the PK. His skating will improve as his knee recovers, and likely his PK performance too with his skating... But the return so far are very lackluster.

When he gets the puck in the offensive zone its an automatic turnover. He cant receive or give a pass. Take him off of Petey's wing so we can have 1 line that can sustain possession in the Ozone.

He’s at a 60ish point pace, what do you expect from a winger that is making 4.75?

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
He’s at a 60ish point pace, what do you expect from a winger that is making 4.75?
I expect him to play better. I dont care about his flukey goals this year on a 20% shooting clip.
I guess you also think JT Miller has been good this year. He is on a point per game pace.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I expect him to play better. I dont care about his flukey goals this year on a 20% shooting clip.
I guess you also think JT Miller has been good this year. He is on a point per game pace.
I’ve said Miller is playing like ass and I was surprised to see that he is actually PPG. Also performance is relative, Miller is on big bucks so everyone should expect more.

Mikey is making 4.75, that’s 2nd liner pay and he is more than living up to that right now considering he is playing on the 1st line and providing 1st line production. If he can play better than what he is doing now then he will be a legit 1st liner which is beyond what you should expect based on his pay.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I’ve said Miller is playing like ass and I was surprised to see that he is actually PPG. Also performance is relative, Miller is on big bucks so everyone should expect more.

Mikey is making 4.75, that’s 2nd liner pay and he is more than living up to that right now considering he is playing on the 1st line and providing 1st line production. If he can play better than what he is doing now then he will be a legit 1st liner which is beyond what you should expect based on his pay.
Ok I think we just fundamentally see the game different.
Lmao. People complaining about a new player, likely still adjusting to the team and conference, and who is coming off an injury, who is playing at a 33 goal, 65 pt pace on a 4.75M cap hit, and is somehow a +5 on this trainwreck of a team. Least of our worries.

Good signing so far.

Oh man.. :D

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I knew this would get bumped while he’s shooting over 20%.

He’s a good player. I dont think he’ll continue to be on 35+ goals and 65+ point pace.

Last nights goal was his best yet but I’m seeing what puck munchkin sees as well. His hockey sense is good but his offensive instincts are average at best.

I think he ends up ~40 point guy. Not sure how reasonable that price is for that but the team needs better then reasonably priced if their 2 year build to contention is to gain any traction.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC

He’s a good player. I dont think he’ll continue to be on 35+ goals and 65+ point pace.

Last nights goal was his best yet but I’m seeing what puck munchkin sees as well. His hockey sense is good but his offensive instincts are average at best.

I think he ends up ~40 point guy. Not sure how reasonable that price is for that but the team needs better then reasonably priced if their 2 year build to contention is to gain any traction.

This team needs more players like Mikheyev.

Why would 'better than reasonably priced' be a reasonable expectation for Mikheyev? We want all the better than reasonably priced players we can get.

Your issue is with the roster construction and management's CAP allocation; not with Mikheyev's play, so it doesn't feel like a based and objective analysis.

Reactions: Grantham

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
This team needs more players like Mikheyev.

Why would 'better than reasonably priced' be a reasonable expectation for Mikheyev? We want all the better than reasonably priced players we can get.

Your issue is with the roster construction and management's CAP allocation; not with Mikheyev's play, so it doesn't feel like a based and objective analysis.
Huh?

Myers is reasonably priced. So is Garland. So is Boeser. So is Horvat. Petterssson. Hughes. Why is the team still not reasonably good?

Goals are goals and goals are great. I don’t see his pace continuing and i stand by this acquisition being rich for the role and not great given what else they accomplished (or didn’t accomplish).

He’s a good player. I’ve said as much. It’s pricey imo.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Huh?

Myers is reasonably priced. So is Garland. So is Boeser. So is Horvat. Petterssson. Hughes. Why is the team still not reasonably good?

Goals are goals and goals are great. I don’t see his pace continuing and i stand by this acquisition being rich for the role and not great given what else they accomplished (or didn’t accomplish).

Well first of all you said 'better than reasonably priced'. And secondly, I guess we just have different definitions of just 'reasonably priced' because I don't think Myers or Boeser fit that description.

I agree I don't think his pace will continue as that shooting % is unsustainable. That being said, I watch Mikheyev and his skill set and can't for the life of me figure out why we wouldn't want to more of this type of player. Big, fast, and above average defensively - this mold of player is exactly what this pathetic checking forward group is lacking.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

I mean considering his start, when regression kicks in, he will most likely end up with 50+ points barring injury.

I mean he’s paid like a 2nd liner, what you describe is exactly what you would expect from a 2nd liner.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Huh?

Not sure how anyone could look at Myers and say he is reasonably priced. He is like a 3rd paring guy that can only be a 2nd paring guy if there is somebody good enough to carry him. Look at Hamonic’s play for us last year, even that is better than what Myers has provided us and look at how much Hamonic was paid.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
i'm still not a fan. he's played better than i expected but he hasn't helped the pk like he was supposed to and he's looked like a terrible fit on the top line. i think he'd look great on a second or third line that was built like a carolina forward line -- all puck pressure and speed -- but the canucks don't have any centers that fit on a line like that and i think you can find players that fit just as well for less money

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
i'm still not a fan. he's played better than i expected but he hasn't helped the pk like he was supposed to and he's looked like a terrible fit on the top line. i think he'd look great on a second or third line that was built like a carolina forward line -- all puck pressure and speed -- but the canucks don't have any centers that fit on a line like that and i think you can find players that fit just as well for less money
Our PK suck balls, the only good penalty killers are Schenn, Petey and Mikey. Everybody else suck at it oh and the coaching.

BimJenning

Feb 17, 2008
Vancouver

I totally agree with this. I'm not seeing the same pluses in his game that others are, clearly. Other than his goal last night, his other goals really have been awful (goalies flubbing easy saves) or lucky. I'm actually surprised he has the totals he has, as he hasn't looked like a factor with Pettersson and Kuzmenko, and I feel like they would be putting up more points with a better passer/finisher.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
I totally agree with this. I'm not seeing the same pluses in his game that others are, clearly. Other than his goal last night, his other goals really have been awful (goalies flubbing easy saves) or lucky. I'm actually surprised he has the totals he has, as he hasn't looked like a factor with Pettersson and Kuzmenko, and I feel like they would be putting up more points with a better passer/finisher.
EP is the passer, Kuzmenko is the finisher and Mikheyev is the forchecker. Mikheyev's job should really be to retrieve pucks in the corner. I haven't watch much this year due to kids sports, but i've heard he is at least decent at that? his 20% shooting likely falls to 12% by seasons end and he will likely have over 20 goals.
His role is to essentially forecheck, back check, play well defensively and make things easier for Kuz and EP to do their thing. if he can do that while putting up 20-20 numbers, he is great value.

Reactions: IComeInPeace

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad