Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Ilya Mikheyev to 4-Year Deal ($4.75M AAV)

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I like the signing, personally, and would love to have a team with an identity built around guys like Podkolzin, Garland, Mikheyev, and to a lesser extent, Kuzmenko.

Just crossing my fingers that Pearson, Miller, and Boeser are the candidates for being moved out rather than Garland (nothing against Miller, of course).

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
This signing is a gamble. Obviously I hope it pays off for our team, but we have holes that needed filling that were more important than third line left wing.

Granted if he comes as advertised, and helps to make Russian players comfortable and competitive in Vancouver, this contract is worth every penny.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
This signing is a gamble. Obviously I hope it pays off for our team, but we have holes that needed filling that were more important than third line left wing.

Granted if he comes as advertised, and helps to make Russian players comfortable and competitive in Vancouver, this contract is worth every penny.
He will likely play in a top 6 role here in Vancouver. His production from last year put him top 6, but if Miller stays on, he could very well slot down to a 3rd line role. The Canucks are so deep at forward now though, our 3rd line would be a second line on most teams. He would play with either Pettersson, Miller, or Horvat. Even if he plays with Horvat (3C), that is still way better (offence wise) than what he played with for a majority of last year.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC

What about forechecking, speed, penalty killing, and size on the wing?

He's not a right shot defenseman we get it but he certainly fills a team need.

I think Mikheyev checks more boxes for team needs than you're leading on. 'third line left wing' is just an over simplification of a player that will provide a lot of utility.

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
He will likely play in a top 6 role here in Vancouver. His production from last year put him top 6, but if Miller stays on, he could very well slot down to a 3rd line role. The Canucks are so deep at forward now though, our 3rd line would be a second line on most teams. He would play with either Pettersson, Miller, or Horvat. Even if he plays with Horvat (3C), that is still way better (offence wise) than what he played with for a majority of last year.
Maybe you should post a thread predicting they’ll win Manager of the Year lead the league in goals.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Maybe you should post a thread predicting they’ll win Manager of the Year lead the league in goals.

I don't know about leading the league, but they should score lots of goals. If the forwards stay the same, I would say they have a shot at top 5.

The Canucks have 6 forwards (Miller, Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser, Mikheyev, Garland) that have in the past, and are capable 20+ and 30+ goal scorers. Add Kuzmenko who could 4asily be a 20 or more goal scorer. Then Podkolzin who scored 14 goals last year, could very easily be 20+. That's a lot of firepower.

Manager of the Year is an award given in baseball by the way.

Reactions: geebster

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I don't know about leading the league, but they should score lots of goals. If the forwards stay the same, I would say they have a shot at top 5.

The Canucks have 6 forwards (Miller, Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser, Mikheyev, Garland) that have in the past, and are capable 20+ and 30+ goal scorers. Add Kuzmenko who could 4asily be a 20 or more goal scorer. Then Podkolzin who scored 14 goals last year, could very easily be 20+. That's a lot of firepower.

Manager of the Year is an award given in baseball by the way.
Cool. I couldn’t possibly care less about semantics as deflection.

Reactions: M2Beezy

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I said top 5. With this line-up, where do you think the team would end up in goal scoring.
I’m not really honestly interested in thinking about that. I only care about the Stanley Cup and that’s clearly not an option for us as fans of the Canucks in the 2022/2023 season. I only am interested in following the direction of the team as it pertains to finally getting back into the business of being serious about the Stanley Cup. I am optimistic about all of the people in the front office, but remain quite suspicious of their ultimate boss.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
I’m not really honestly interested in thinking about that. I only care about the Stanley Cup and that’s clearly not an option for us as fans of the Canucks in the 2022/2023 season. I only am interested in following the direction of the team as it pertains to finally getting back into the business of being serious about the Stanley Cup. I am optimistic about all of the people in the front office, but remain quite suspicious of their ultimate boss.
It appears this management group is going try and build a Stanley Cup team around this group. You may well enjoy the ride. Should be an entertaining team.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I have strong reservations that either Miller or Horvat at their future salary will prevent this core from getting there. As far as we currently know, they are attempting to bring back both.
If they extend Miller
Say good bye to Bo

Obviously they see PK as a bigger hole than D
Which I can’t argue with that

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
The opportunity cost haa already shown to be massive.

Teams are paying to get rid of quality top 6 forwards. Like Drance said we could have got an asset to take on a top6 forward and then another asset at the deadline while retaining and sending him to a contender.

Instead we have a slightly overpaid middle sixer and we wasted our last pennies on him.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
The opportunity cost haa already shown to be massive.

Teams are paying to get rid of quality top 6 forwards. Like Drance said we could have got an asset to take on a top6 forward and then another asset at the deadline while retaining and sending him to a contender.

Instead we have a slightly overpaid middle sixer and we wasted our last pennies on him.

If you are looking to acquire players to dump them at the deadline, you aren't looking to win during Demko's contract. Clearly that is the goal of this FO and any evaluation that doesn't factor this in is off base imo.

Sure that money could have gone elsewhere. But if the goal is to improve size, speed and PK which deal out there would you have preferred.

Pac isn't getting dumped in the division. Rather sign a UFA than give up 2 draft picks. I'm likely missing some that make sense off the top of my head, but adding pieces to dump at the deadline is clearly not the direction Allvin and JR are taking this team.

Reactions: DonnyNucker

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
If you are looking to acquire players to dump them at the deadline, you aren't looking to win during Demko's contract. Clearly that is the goal of this FO and any evaluation that doesn't factor this in is off base imo.

Sure that money could have gone elsewhere. But if the goal is to improve size, speed and PK which deal out there would you have preferred.

Pac isn't getting dumped in the division. Rather sign a UFA than give up 2 draft picks. I'm likely missing some that make sense off the top of my head, but adding pieces to dump at the deadline is clearly not the direction Allvin and JR are taking this team.
I dont agree with that plan at all.
Im really dissapointed with this management group so far...

Next trade deadline is a real litmus test moment... But so far, this is the same plan as what Benning was doing just executed at a level NHL front office should be capable of.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Obviously nobody knows if Mikheyev can replicate the offensive success he had last year in TO. But at least in VanCity he'll get a legitimate shot to move up the lineup and play at least part of the season on a scoring line.

But even if doesn't fill the net, the guy is an absolute burner out there. He skates like he's shot out of a cannon. And Canuck fans will love him for that alone.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad