Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Ilya Mikheyev to 4-Year Deal ($4.75M AAV)

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I don’t get what you mean by “if the numbers”… etc. The numbers/stats are the stats. You can interpret the numbers however you want.

You want to pay guys based on their role and production. A 4th line winger with size who can provide solid defense and put up 15-15-30 is great but not if you’re paying him Petey type money. I think we would all agree that playing McKinnon or McDavid in a 4th line role in typical 4th line minutes with 4th line calibre linemates at their salaries is not going to be good value.

Hansen was a beast in his prime and was criminally underpaid for years. If he was paid good 2nd line money alongside Kesler, the point production expectations would be much higher.

Garland for his part puts up too even strength production. He he did it seemingly regardless of linemates. That’s what you’re paying him for.

Pearson was paid with the expectation that he would continue to play a middle 6 role and spend time playing alongside Horvat and he has. He was worth his contract last season.

I don’t think that it’s in dispute that typically goals are worth more than assists which are worth more than defense in terms of player salaries. An elite defensive 3rd line C who puts up 13-16 goals and 30-40 points isn’t going to get good 2nd line C money or shouldn’t based on market dynamics.
Yeah, regarding "the numbers", I'm saying that I don't know the specific stats for the scenarios that we're talking about (I wasn't referring to interpretation there). For example, how much did Pearson actually play with Horvat last season, and how many points did he actually produce specifically during those instances (I'm under the impression it's a fair bit less than a 40 point pace)? How many points did Mikheyev produce last season while he was actually playing on a defensive 3rd line or PK (I'm under the impression it's most of his totals)? I'm curious about those numbers. What I remember seeing or have heard from others doesn't seem to match what you're arguing.

Regarding everything else, I would dispute it, or at least question its importance, personally. A player/type of player can be overvalued or undervalued by the market, and when that's the case, I don't find it useful to make judgements based on those expectations. Like, sure, it informs what's realistic/feasible, but ultimately, I care about what's actually smart usage of cap space based on how effective the player actually is overall.

If you overpay (according to the Market) for Jannik Hansen an amount of money that his effectiveness is actually worth in reality, I'm not going to be too bent out of shape over that, and if you pay fair market value for a guy who produces but just isn't very good (let's say David Booth), I'm going to be dissatisfied with that regardless, personally. We seem to be using the term "worth" very differently, if that's the case.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4Twenty

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
comments like this are why canucks media can just tweet shit without fact checking at all

Huh? Please explain...

I am saying, the Canucks are often either bullshitting the public or simply wrong on their assessment of injuries. In either case, it is bullshit, and that makes it impossible to believe it when they say "the player is day to day" or "it isn't that serious an injury"

Or do you need examples of when they have said it is nothing, and it turns out to be LTIR or season ending.

Help me where I have gone wrong, please

SurferBroChad

Dec 17, 2018
Victoria BC
Huh? Please explain...

I am saying, the Canucks are often either bullshitting the public or simply wrong on their assessment of injuries. In either case, it is bullshit, and that makes it impossible to believe it when they say "the player is day to day" or "it isn't that serious an injury"
oh so they do the thing every other team does? crazy

Reactions: Petey O

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
oh so they do the thing every other team does? crazy

Which is it: They tweet without fact checking or the are only of guilty of acting like all the other teams? Or both and thus what I was saying all along?

Weird, for what looks like an objection to what I posted.

The injury reporting of late (by the media, quoting team staff) with players like Brock and before that Bo and Petey etc., have claimed there was nothing seriously wrong with player X and that they would return shortly, and then within a short period, the players were shut down for the season. Makes it difficult to understand what is really happening, but what does that have to do with my comment allowing the media to tweet anything they want without fact checking?

But, cheers. You carry on being you. Have a great day

Reactions: geebaan and MarkMM

SurferBroChad

Dec 17, 2018
Victoria BC
Which is it: They tweet without fact checking or the are only of guilty of acting like all the other teams? Or both and thus what I was saying all along?

Weird, for what looks like an objection to what I posted.

The injury reporting of late (by the media, quoting team staff) with players like Brock and before that Bo and Petey etc., have claimed there was nothing seriously wrong with player X and that they would return shortly, and then within a short period, the players were shut down for the season. Makes it difficult to understand what is really happening, but what does that have to do with my comment allowing the media to tweet anything they want without fact checking?

But, cheers. You carry on being you. Have a great day
i have 788 posts and 1,002 positive reactions

i know what im talking about

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Given this team's history of 'reporting' on injuries, 'week-to-week' raises the alarm bells for me. Would be a serious bummer if Mikheyev isn't ready for the opener.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
He's been good so far. By far the fastest skater on the team. Him at 4.75 is better than Boeser at 6.65.

Could see him clearing 20 goals and 50 points.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He’s an excellent two-way winger at a reasonable price. The negative reactions to this deal were always strange.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
I would guess that there's a lot of overlap with the people who didn't like this signing and the people who thought Garland had a bad year last year and for the same reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad