Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Dakota Joshua to 2-Year Deal (1-Way, $750K AAV)

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Sharks fans think Gadjovich is garbage lol. His stat line seems to back that up
his skating was always going to hinder his chances of being an effective nhl player

with that said, he seemed to have decent hands around the net, and he could've maybe developed into (hilariously) an alex chiasson type with the right coaching and development.

Reactions: mossey3535

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
his skating was always going to hinder his chances of being an effective nhl player

with that said, he seemed to have decent hands around the net, and he could've maybe developed into (hilariously) an alex chiasson type with the right coaching and development.
That’s what I always assumed as well but I’ve read comments from sharks fans saying Gadjovich handles the puck like a grenade, which is a bit shocking.

They basically see him as a talentless goon.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Every interview with anyone from the braintrust since this signing as said exactly that. I see him currently as the 13th forward, but he's going to have to really shit the bed before he gets sent to Abby.

Agreed. See him as the 13th forward, allowing Lockwood to develop instead of sitting in the press-box. Joshua will get in a lot of games simply from injuries, but it’ll be nice having a physical presence available whenever the team needs it.

Pearson-Miller-Boeser
Kuzmenko-Horvat-Mikheyev
Garland-Pettersson-Podkolzin
Dickenson-Lazar-Hoglander
(Joshua/Lockwood)

Hughes-Schenn
OEL-Myers
Dermott-Poolman
(Borroughs/Rathbone)

Reactions: alternate

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I know Lockwood is 24 already but he only has about 1 season's worth of pro games under his belt.

Don't think another year in the A would hurt, especially if he's not going to be a regular in the NHL. Joshua seems more like the 13th forward type, especially since he's a couple years older.

Wouldn't surprise me if he wins a spot at camp though. Someone like Dickinson should be very motivated come September, he's on very thin ice now that we have even more forwards lol.

Reactions: jd22

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Really pulling for this kid in training camp.....bounced around the AHL and ECHL since being drafted by the Leafs in fifth round of the 2014 draft. But has shown an 'Alex Burrows' kind of improvement in his game every season.

He's earned that two year, one-way contract from the Canucks. Of note, in 2014 the Canucks had two first round draft picks--Virtanen at #6 and McCann at #24. Both of course long gone from the organization.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It's worth noting what a sharp development curve he's had over the past 3 years.

19-20 he splits between the ECHL and the AHL as a 4th liner.

20-21 plays well in a short stint in the AHL and gets an NHL look.

21-22 splits the season between AHL and NHL and is now a top-6 AHLer. Then destroys the playoffs with 15 ES points in 18 games.

So basically in 2 years he's gone from a fringe AHLer to a guy leading the AHL in ES scoring in the playoffs. Hopefully that continues.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
JR is laying the groundwork for the fans to accept that we'll have players who are here simply for cap reasons. He had a good AHL playoffs so we'll see.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Very impressed by Joshua this year. He hasn't looked out of place when he's been moved up in the lineup. He has some skills with the puck and a decent IQ. Goes to the net hard. A lot of good qualities. We could be seeing the emergence of a 15 goal guy with size and toughness that can play in the middle 6.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Very impressed by Joshua this year. He hasn't looked out of place when he's been moved up in the lineup. He has some skills with the puck and a decent IQ. Goes to the net hard. A lot of good qualities. We could be seeing the emergence of a 15 goal guy with size and toughness that can play in the middle 6.

Biggest issue is inconsistency. For a slower player, he needs to keep his feet moving and he has had long stretches where he doesn’t do that.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Biggest issue is inconsistency. For a slower player, he needs to keep his feet moving and he has had long stretches where he doesn’t do that.
Yeah, that's what Allvin said last night. He also implied that, based on his age and experience, he finally gets it. We'll see. A little odd that Joshua has never really starred in any league he's played in. Even in the ECHL he was only a 0.5 pt/g player after coming out of college at 23 years old.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Yup. Started poorly, then had about 25 really effective 4th line games, then came off the boil for the last month and was lagging behind the play. The coaching change seems to have re-energized him.

He definitely looks capable of being an effective NHLer - as you say, he just needs to bring the motor and intensity we've seen in his best games more consistently.

And to be fair, no player is good every game. And depth players tend to be depth players for a reason. But he needs to move to bringing his best game from 4/10 or 5/10 games to 7/10 or 8/10.

All that said, he's tracking to score 13-15 goals this year from league minimum. He's been a good signing.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
He and Kuz are the two guys on this team that are good at getting shots/deflections off in tight. Both are quality over quantity shooters in terms of where they shoot from and how they avoid taking shots from areas that usually result in easy saves.

Joshua should be a mainstay on PP2 as a net front guy.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
joshua has been okay but the canucks 4th line has been terrible this year and he's been a big part of it. i haven't really been impressed when he's been played up the lineup either. he seems to struggle to stay involved with the play whether it's his skating, his compete or just his hockey sense

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Hard to argue with anything Joshua brings to the table, and at his price-point he's a bargain.

Not really his fault that the fourth line has basically sucked all year, with a constant shuffling of the deck by the coaching staff. Lazar was supposed to stabilize the fourth line at center, but of course that simply hasn't happened.

He has two goals in close to 50 NHL games, and his work in the faceoff circle and on the PK has been a huge disappointment.

I'd like to see Studnicka as a fixture on the fourth line, along with Joshnua and maybe Lockwood. At least the opposing d-men would need to keep their heads up.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Really liked this signing when it happened.

He was a scorer in NCAA and his road since then has been muddy with the lost COVID seasons, we atleast didnt know with certainty that there still isn't some offense there to be mined. I think he has flashed some offensive creativity. He is a fantastic F1, just needs to keep his feet moving more consistently.

I think our 4th line troubles exist despite Joshua, not because of him. I cannot believe how bad Lazar has been for us. He was supposed to be the stabilizing 4th line C.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Really liked this signing when it happened.

He was a scorer in NCAA and his road since then has been muddy with the lost COVID seasons, we atleast didnt know with certainty that there still isn't some offense there to be mined. I think he has flashed some offensive creativity. He is a fantastic F1, just needs to keep his feet moving more consistently.

I think our 4th line troubles exist despite Joshua, not because of him. I cannot believe how bad Lazar has been for us. He was supposed to be the stabilizing 4th line C.

Lazar has just been a total black hole offensively and when you have a black hole at C it sinks the line. He might be serviceable throwing his weight around on the wing but 4C needs to be re-addressed. He’s been a substantial downgrade on Lammikko and simply not good enough.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Lazar has just been a total black hole offensively and when you have a black hole at C it sinks the line. He might be serviceable throwing his weight around on the wing but 4C needs to be re-addressed. He’s been a substantial downgrade on Lammikko and simply not good enough.
What was the injury Lazar suffered early. All I can find is "upper body" and then "undisclosed."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad