Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Dakota Joshua to 2-Year Deal (1-Way, $750K AAV)

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yup. And a guy that seems to be sought after in the market, so high dollar and high term with no potential upside even if he plays to the contract.

Nice bonus with this contract getting him for the additional year.

Yup.

Smart teams find a young Deslauriers on the fringes like this in their mid-20s and get him for peanuts.

Dumb teams pay a 31 y/o Deslauriers a UFA premium on the downside of his career.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Good deal, worst case he's an effective AHL powerforward, best case he's a cheap 4th liner in the NHL

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Yup.

Smart teams find a young Deslauriers on the fringes like this in their mid-20s and get him for peanuts.

Dumb teams pay a 31 y/o Deslauriers a UFA premium on the downside of his career.

This is exactly what I meant when I've been saying "let's dig in the bargain bin". Buy low, sell high. I think he will be a fan favourite.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I hate this comparison for obvious reasons, but on limited viewings here he kind of reminds me of Darren Archibald who I thought got a raw deal here.

Very similar player and I avoided making that comparison for the same reasons.

Reactions: Vector

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I *liked* Archibald. Wish we used him more often.

One of my biggest minor aggravations from the Benning regime.

Markus Granlund was a sack of ass. In 16-17 Granlund gets hurt with 30 games left in the season and Archibald steps into his roster spot. Archibald is literally better at absolutely everything - scores more, is better defensively, is the most physical player on the team. It's a huge upgrade. And is a homegrown product who worked his ass off to get that chance, capitalized on it and should have had an NHL career.

Instead he gets 1 preseason game the next year with AHLers and is immediately sent to Utica so they can hand the lazy shitstain Granlund his roster spot back.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Saw him a lot when we shared a farm club with St. Louis. Looked like an excellent prospect. At that level had some offense on top of his toughness. At the time kept saying wish we had in our prospect pool.

Up and down last year so still not established in the NHL but like the pick up.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC

Markus Granlund was a sack of ass. In 16-17 Granlund gets hurt with 30 games left in the season and Archibald steps into his roster spot. Archibald is literally better at absolutely everything - scores more, is better defensively, is the most physical player on the team. It's a huge upgrade. And is a homegrown product who worked his ass off to get that chance, capitalized on it and should have had an NHL career.

Instead he gets 1 preseason game the next year with AHLers and is immediately sent to Utica so they can hand the lazy shitstain Granlund his roster spot back.

Markus Granlund was one of the biggest fails in the pro scouting side of things. He got stapled to the Sedins for 2 whole months and everyone thought he would come in and score 20 goals the next season. We were told his "playmaking ability" was underrated and high-level. I can honestly say he was up there with Loui Eriksson in inspirational viewing. In that he inspired me to put my fist through the TV.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

It's actually worse than that. Archibald showed he was a capable 4th line LW down the stretch and they went out and signed the Schaller contract to directly replace him.

Anyways..

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Markus Granlund was one of the biggest fails in the pro scouting side of things. He got stapled to the Sedins for 2 whole months and everyone thought he would come in and score 20 goals the next season. We were told his "playmaking ability" was underrated and high-level. I can honestly say he was up there with Loui Eriksson in inspirational viewing. In that he inspired me to put my fist through the TV.

He was the slowest, laziest Canuck in recent memory but inexplicably nobody ever called him out for being slow and lazy and somehow the party line was that he was a solid two way player.

He was an AHL scorer who was crap at everything else who spent 4 years undeservedly in the NHL and was immediately out of the league once another team got an up-close look at him.

It's actually worse than that. Archibald showed he was a capable 4th line LW down the stretch and they went out and signed the Schaller contract to directly replace him.

Anyways..

I've always considered Schaller to have replaced Gaunce and Granlund to have taken his spot back from Archibald. But either way.

That was the only time in the entire Benning regime that we had an effective 3rd line and they immediately dumped 2/3 of that line back to the AHL to replace them with garbage.

ratbid

Feb 18, 2012
Like this signing. After the AHL postseason he just had, this is also one of those guys you give a look on an offensive line or power play in pre-season to see if there's some hidden potential there in a bigger role. 99.9% chance he's a 12th/13th physical forward, like he's always been but he's signed as exactly that so it's a no lose situation.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
Wow, just saw this signing. This is awesome value for the game he brings. Glad they're making this team tougher and faster with these signings.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad