Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Conor Garland to 5-Year Deal ($4.95M AAV)

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Why it happens every trade deadline?

it was on sound logic. Boeser was hurt Leivo was out for the season. That was RW1 and RW2 in the stretch leading to the decision. Just because Covid and a foot injury derailed what he should have accomplished is not a reason to say. Boy was that ridiculous for 10 games.

The logic behind not re signing when he showed a desire to sign in Van and the results of how they used the cap space last summer is the issue. Have to take into account that the deal Montreal got wasn't the 5-5.5 x 5 that they wanted from Vancouver either and coming off 18goals there was thoughts Virtanen could emerge as a bigger piece and they could use the 2-3 million elsewhere on the roster. Obviously all that turned to stone and the difference between those 2 players couldn't have been bigger considering Jake was a joke and Tyler had a career year scoring goals.
History has shown that what a Canucks player, coach or GM wants is immaterial to what ownership ultimately decides on.

I refuse to believe a real hockey exec would have let their best defender and mentor walk to the next province/state.

Reactions: dwarf

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
History has shown that what Canucks player, coach or GM wants is immaterial to what ownership ultimately decides on.

I refuse to believe a real hockey exec would have let their best defender and mentor walk to the next province/state.
Man you are referring to Benning, they guy that signed a 30 yr old two time 30 goal scored to a 6 year untradable contract or one that cost the team a first round pick to move. A guy that traded away a 1rst round player, 2nd round pick and 4th for Gudbranson and paid him over 4 mil for three years. A genius that signed an uninsurable contract that was rejected by physicians due to too many concussions to a 4 year NMC contract, Ferland had been benched most of his last year in Carolina due to "upper body injuries" otherwise known as concussion.
This is the rocket scientist that has capped out the team every year he has been here, wasted more money that a drunken gambling addict.
Let Tanev walk? He has let ALL FA's walk with the exception of Hamonic whom no other teams want anymore because of his past decisions.
And what about Tryamkin? This is a team so bad on defence that career AHLer's are stars. Here was a player that over two separate occasions waited almost 6 months and didn't even get an offer because Benning didn't know how much money he had spent (of course the overheard at a restaurant comment when asked about trading his rights "that commie bastard will never play in the NHL as long as I can help it") but he wasted no time in signing Pearson way too early before the market had set a value on a 31 yr old 25 pts guy.
AND
He just gave over 4.95 million X 5 years to a guy that has less than 130 NHL games, not even two seasons and was making 800K on one year contracts. Ya think the kid might jumped at 2 mil?
No, Benning contracts look like something the agent makes up and pushes in front of him and he is too embarrassed to admit he can't read so he signs them.

History is odd, it is almost impossible to find any proof except rumors and innuendo regarding these owners.
But time is coming soon enough for the team to be lucky to have the Aquilini's become involved again. Even Ottawa has benefited from Melnyk's reforms and stated plan that was complete with an publicized internal cap per year. They now have over 23 players younger than the Canucks and are past them in skill and wins.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Seems like a reasonable contract to me. I'm probably not as big a fan of Garland as a lot of people seem to be, but i think he's demonstrated he's clearly a capable Top-6 winger. There's risk to any sort of contract like this based on really just two years of production on a bad team. The risk being, if it doesn't work out and some of it was a bit of a mirage, you're totally stuck with it. And it's significant enough to be a real nuisance. But i think @ just under $5M, they're pretty well covered off the likely "lower bound" projection. ie. If Garland is really just more of a ~20G 50Pt player, $4.95M is pretty much right on the money for that. So if he's more of a ~6oPt+ player he was pacing as last year, that's just gravy.

It's also a really nice length. Buying out the remaining likely "prime" years, and nothing else. And doesn't seem to be structured in a particularly "buyout proof" way. Should the absolute worst occur.

I like the fit here. Needed another RH shooter in the Top-6 somewhere, beyond just Boeser. Also being a smart player who likes to work the puck around and play down low and around the net, has the potential to mesh really well with Horvat's game. Or even as a complement to Pettersson, potentially. Kind of makes for a weird makeup to the Top-6 going forward, with Garland and Hoglander both as kinda feisty munchkins - especially if they're both flanking on the same line. But ehhh...they don't exactly play small, so that's what really matters most.

WhiteCurse

Jan 4, 2013
Canada VI
Gotta agree it's gonna look weird with Gar and Hog on the same line. Good thing they both play a hard nosed style game and have some speed. Could be really fun to watch. I imagine we see him on both top lines over the course of the season.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Why it happens every trade deadline?

it was on sound logic. Boeser was hurt Leivo was out for the season. That was RW1 and RW2 in the stretch leading to the decision. Just because Covid and a foot injury derailed what he should have accomplished is not a reason to say. Boy was that ridiculous for 10 games.

Sound logic? What kind of revisionist history is this? The trade was seen for what it was at the time: a GM living day to day and mortgaging the future in an attempt to save his job. There was basically a consensus on HF that: this team wasn’t good enough to go for it; and the Canucks wouldn’t have had the cap space to re-sign Toffoli and salvage this trade. The logic was absolutely not “sound” but certainly fits in nicely with Benning’s transaction history.

In addition, if I recall correctly, the Canucks were actually starting to really fall off before the deadline and Markstrom was injured. I also believe that the Canucks knew the extent of Markstrom’s injury at this time, or at least had a pretty good idea that it was long term. Of course Boeser was out long term. In this context, the logic was somehow even less sound.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Sound logic? What kind of revisionist history is this? The trade was seen for what it was at the time: a GM living day to day and mortgaging the future in an attempt to save his job. There was basically a consensus on HF that: this team wasn’t good enough to go for it; and the Canucks wouldn’t have had the cap space to re-sign Toffoli and salvage this trade. The logic was absolutely not “sound” but certainly fits in nicely with Benning’s transaction history.

In addition, if I recall correctly, the Canucks were actually starting to really fall off before the deadline and Markstrom was injured. I also believe that the Canucks knew the extent of Markstrom’s injury at this time, or at least had a pretty good idea that it was long term. Of course Boeser was out long term. In this context, the logic was somehow even less sound.
Yup if any other team, after that many years of futility, was selling even more of their future assets on an injured team trending out of the playoffs at the deadline they’d be chastised heavily. Ridiculed even.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Yup if any other team, after that many years of futility, was selling even more of their future assets on an injured team trending out of the playoffs at the deadline they’d be chastised heavily. Ridiculed even.

Yes. IIRC, Demko also looked like he was cratering under the pressure, but can’t recall if this was before or after the trade.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

Revisionist would be your take. predictably the HF fanbase was gonna paint it that way. The reality is team actually made the playoffs and if Toffoli had not somehow injured his foot may have had an impact for the team instead and they possibly beat Vegas. One goal away from the conference finals and the 5th best run in Canuck history and people want to just throw it away because it doesn't fit a narrative and we fluked our way in even though we soundly thrashed Minny one of the teams we would have been battling for the playoff spot and knocked off the defending champs.

Of course Demko couldn't handle the pressure at the time but was absolutely brilliant in the non pressure of conference semi final? That makes no sense? The players who played like studs under pressure in the playoffs would have done the same as we came down the stretch No? Why would it have been different? What makes you think we couldn't beat Minny for a playoff spot when we pretty soundly beat them in a playoff series?

Once again we lost Leivo for the season. He was playing 2RW with Horvat and playing well when he went down. Boeser was also injured and the reports were initially it may be serious. You don't flush the efforts of your teams season when you can still go on a run by getting some help for your team at the price of a B prospect and a 2nd rounder. Seems like it worked extremely well outside of the injury and the results of the summer which is what i said and did leave it as a wasted opportunity but somehow the whole bubble has become a negative for the franchise because of the off season and how people think of Benning. Would it be different if Boeser scores on his breakaway and we went on to win the cup or even lost in the finals to TB? Damn friggen rights people wouldn't be complaining about a memorable run like that unless all they think is cup or bust.

LOL this is hilarious 420. "any other team" like Winnipeg when they sent a 1st for Hayes or Columbus when they went all in or the Islanders who sent a 1st 2nd 3rd for JG Pageau and were 5th in the division. oh they also traded a 2nd for the ancient Andy Green and a prospect. I could sit here and type dozens of examples of just the kind of moves where teams who needed a specific role on their team were willing to part with picks to get help for a stretch run and potential playoffs.

The "after years of futility" is actually a good reason and sound logic to help Horvat Edler Markstrom Tanev Boeser and some of the vets of the team that had to weather the rough times a chance to make some noise. Having another Jonah Gadjovich in the system and Tyler Madden wouldn't be better for the players on the NHL team today and wouldn't be when they went on that nice run. These are odds and considerations for the players on the Canucks who live in the now not wanting to wait 3-5yrs for something that never comes.

It's odd that people see that playoffs in a negative light. That was a good team and a good run

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Revisionist would be your take. predictably the HF fanbase was gonna paint it that way. The reality is team actually made the playoffs and if Toffoli had not somehow injured his foot may have had an impact for the team instead and they possibly beat Vegas. One goal away from the conference finals and the 5th best run in Canuck history and people want to just throw it away because it doesn't fit a narrative and we fluked our way in even though we soundly thrashed Minny one of the teams we would have been battling for the playoff spot and knocked off the defending champs.

Of course Demko couldn't handle the pressure at the time but was absolutely brilliant in the non pressure of conference semi final? That makes no sense? The players who played like studs under pressure in the playoffs would have done the same as we came down the stretch No? Why would it have been different? What makes you think we couldn't beat Minny for a playoff spot when we pretty soundly beat them in a playoff series?

Once again we lost Leivo for the season. He was playing 2RW with Horvat and playing well when he went down. Boeser was also injured and the reports were initially it may be serious. You don't flush the efforts of your teams season when you can still go on a run by getting some help for your team at the price of a B prospect and a 2nd rounder. Seems like it worked extremely well outside of the injury and the results of the summer which is what i said and did leave it as a wasted opportunity but somehow the whole bubble has become a negative for the franchise because of the off season and how people think of Benning. Would it be different if Boeser scores on his breakaway and we went on to win the cup or even lost in the finals to TB? Damn friggen rights people wouldn't be complaining about a memorable run like that unless all they think is cup or bust.

LOL this is hilarious 420. "any other team" like Winnipeg when they sent a 1st for Hayes or Columbus when they went all in or the Islanders who sent a 1st 2nd 3rd for JG Pageau and were 5th in the division. oh they also traded a 2nd for the ancient Andy Green and a prospect. I could sit here and type dozens of examples of just the kind of moves where teams who needed a specific role on their team were willing to part with picks to get help for a stretch run and potential playoffs.

The "after years of futility" is actually a good reason and sound logic to help Horvat Edler Markstrom Tanev Boeser and some of the vets of the team that had to weather the rough times a chance to make some noise. Having another Jonah Gadjovich in the system and Tyler Madden wouldn't be better for the players on the NHL team today and wouldn't be when they went on that nice run. These are odds and considerations for the players on the Canucks who live in the now not wanting to wait 3-5yrs for something that never comes.

It's odd that people see that playoffs in a negative light. That was a good team and a good run
Sure thing.

lol another gadjovich while everyone’s pretty content with Demko, Hoglander etc

I’m not surprised you’ve decided the bubble run on covid’s back was a good team. It’s always a good team with good players and good coaching.

We are all Canucks.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Sure thing.

lol another gadjovich while everyone’s pretty content with Demko, Hoglander etc

I’m not surprised you’ve decided the bubble run on covid’s back was a good team. It’s always a good team with good players and good coaching.

We are all Canucks.
Demko was at 36 and Hoglander 40 and the Niederbach pick was 51 and prior to Benning the 44 yrs of Canuck 2nd round picks that played 300 games consists of

Raymond McAllister Scatchard Peca Cullimore Slegr Ashton Fraser Manno Sedlbauer B.Lalonde

Outside of Mike Peca not exactly something that couldn't be replaced with a free agent signing. That is the odds and reality of 2nd rounders for this franchise. Yet giving the 19/20 team a much needed top6 winger especially so if Boeser was hurt badly was reason enough to throw a season away potentially so we could wait for the 90% chance we have a busted pick or even if not a easily replaced player. Not to diminish draft picks outside the top50 too much as they are important but if losing 1 or 2 of them to give a group of players a chance to do something is the cost it should be a relatively easy decision unless the group has failed time and time again

go to 7:30 of this clip and tell me Bieksa is completely off base because this is exactly how i felt at the time also. Not sure what you think they should have done when your RW1 and RW2 are injured and the team looks good.

And by the way Green is a really good coach who had an off year like a lot of players and things in the Canuck organization. Wrong thread but the responses to Green in these boards is mostly moronic.

Anyway don't want to derail too much here Garland i wasn't exactly thrilled with acquiring but hadn't watched him play much and from what the Yotes fans are saying and the general reaction around the league and from the analytics community looks like he could be a really big acquisition once you look past the fact he.... well isn't big.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Demko was at 36 and Hoglander 40 and the Niederbach pick was 51 and prior to Benning the 44 yrs of Canuck 2nd round picks that played 300 games consists of

Raymond McAllister Scatchard Peca Cullimore Slegr Ashton Fraser Manno Sedlbauer B.Lalonde

Outside of Mike Peca not exactly something that couldn't be replaced with a free agent signing. That is the odds and reality of 2nd rounders for this franchise. Yet giving the 19/20 team a much needed top6 winger especially so if Boeser was hurt badly was reason enough to throw a season away potentially so we could wait for the 90% chance we have a busted pick or even if not a easily replaced player. Not to diminish draft picks outside the top50 too much as they are important but if losing 1 or 2 of them to give a group of players a chance to do something is the cost it should be a relatively easy decision unless the group has failed time and time again

go to 7:30 of this clip and tell me Bieksa is completely off base because this is exactly how i felt at the time also. Not sure what you think they should have done when your RW1 and RW2 are injured and the team looks good.

And by the way Green is a really good coach who had an off year like a lot of players and things in the Canuck organization. Wrong thread but the responses to Green in these boards is mostly moronic.

Anyway don't want to derail too much here Garland i wasn't exactly thrilled with acquiring but hadn't watched him play much and from what the Yotes fans are saying and the general reaction around the league and from the analytics community looks like he could be a really big acquisition once you look past the fact he.... well isn't big.

I’m not about to show you the stats and record again here in 2021 about a period of time before a global pandemic. Agree to disagree.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Green is a really good coach? Like top 15 in the league? What specifically is he good at?

67tvjow5fam11.png

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
History has shown that what a Canucks player, coach or GM wants is immaterial to what ownership ultimately decides on.

i believe this is correct. another way to look at it is that no way do marky and tanev walk unless aquaman wants that to happen. we have a long history of aquaman intervening on important players.

aquaman sets direction, and benning implements it.

Reactions: Sneezy

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
The reality is team actually made the playoffs

Due to entirely unique circumstances that were 1000% beyond their control.

I think the argument being made is that the Canucks weren't solidly positioned in a playoff spot and that trading for a rental to simply make the playoffs was risky.

It is entirely possible that in a regular season, the Canucks end up not making the playoffs and Benning looks foolish for having traded away assets for a rental that didn't accomplish anything.

This is similar to what happened with Nonis and the moves he made years ago to bring in a bunch of guys to bolster the defense in an attempt to make the playoffs. From what I remember, it was soundly ridiculed back then, too.

Reactions: BrentSopelsHair

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
They made the playoffs in a shortened season, and nobody actually cares about some hypothetical world where covid never happened.

Looking forward to seeing Garland play, and curious to see who Green plays him with

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
They made the playoffs in a shortened season, and nobody actually cares about some hypothetical world where covid never happened.

It's important when evaluating the rationale behind the Toffoli trade -- Covid wasn't on anyone's radar at the time the trade was made so you have to look at the decision making process at the time the decision was made.

Hoglander

Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
It's important when evaluating the rationale behind the Toffoli trade -- Covid wasn't on anyone's radar at the time the trade was made so you have to look at the decision making process at the time the decision was made.
But you'll still never actually know how things would have turned out. It's like calling Virtanen a 20 goal scorer, when it never actually happened - even though it was likely. It's pointless, and has nothing to do with Garland

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
There's no doubt that with addition of guys like Garland, OEL, Halak and Dickinson, that the Canucks are better on paper.

But they won't be better on the ice unless this coaching staff get them playing a lot better defensive hockey. And under Green, except for a brief period in the playoff bubble year ago, this team looks like it has no clue on how to defend.

Outshot and out-chanced more nights, they've relied on sublime goaltending to survive. Will it change in 2021-22? It has to, or Green will be the first coaching casualty.

Reactions: Sneezy and David71

Hoglander

Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
There's no doubt that with addition of guys like Garland, OEL, Halak and Dickinson, that the Canucks are better on paper.

But they won't be better on the ice unless this coaching staff get them playing a lot better defensive hockey. And under Green, except for a brief period in the playoff bubble year ago, this team looks like it has no clue on how to defend.

Outshot and out-chanced more nights, they've relied on sublime goaltending to survive. Will it change in 2021-22? It has to, or Green will be the first coaching casualty.
That's what's so great about this upcoming season. They will either be a playoff team, or heads are finally gonna roll. Nowhere to go but up

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad