Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Conor Garland to 5-Year Deal ($4.95M AAV)

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
That's what's so great about this upcoming season. They will either be a playoff team, or heads are finally gonna roll. Nowhere to go but up
That's a good way of looking at things. For me it needs to be a playoff team that wins a round either/or deserved to win a round. If we make it but get soundly beat by some team then I don't think the gamble was worth it and its time for changes, well past time for changes but better late than never. Our window is not looking like a huge one so we need playoff runs now. Especially considering that JT and Bo need contracts soon and they will not want to stick around for a losing team.

On Garland specifically, I'm hoping for 50-60 points, leadership and some defensive responsibility. Does he have any penalty killing experience? I know he's speedy, but I don't know much about his defensive abilities. We need that two way game as well as production. I suppose If he explodes offensively but is a little suspect defensively, I guess you take that too.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
But you'll still never actually know how things would have turned out. It's like calling Virtanen a 20 goal scorer, when it never actually happened - even though it was likely. It's pointless, and has nothing to do with Garland

I agree that this doesn't really have anything to do with Garland, but I disagree that examining Jim Benning's thought processes (such as they are) and overall approach to handling the team is unimportant.

It's important when discussing a man who is really bad at managing assets and helps explain, in part, why the team has done poorly.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Garland outscored Zack Hyman (a comparable player in terms of style) last season, and Hyman was on a faaar better and higher scoring team than the Coyotes, and with better linemates. I think this guy is going to have the best season of his career in 21-22. This trade is going to be like the 'JT Miller for a first' deal that had everyone upset after the trade, but then thrilled with it by the end of that first season.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Garland outscored Zack Hyman (a comparable player in terms of style) last season, and Hyman was on a faaar better and higher scoring team than the Coyotes, and with better linemates. I think this guy is going to have the best season of his career in 21-22. This trade is going to be like the 'JT Miller for a first' deal that had everyone upset after the trade, but then thrilled with it by the end of that first season.

Except basically everyone seems to be happy with Garland for plus or minus our first, at least from a value standpoint.

Reactions: bh53

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Except basically everyone seems to be happy with Garland for plus or minus our first, at least from a value standpoint.

Even the Miller trade, most people agreed that it was a good deal out of context. The issue was that people didn't think it was the right time to start loading up like that.

Reactions: megatron

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Even the Miller trade, most people agreed that it was a good deal out of context. The issue was that people didn't think it was the right time to start loading up like that.

My issue was that the #1 pick wasn't properly protected. You don't trade away #1 picks when you're a bottom-5 team and risk getting Pollocked, ever. The reports were that Benning didn't even negotiate and accepted TB's first offer. Totally reckless.

If he locks the pick in between #15 and #45, the deal is totally fine.

In the end, the worst-case *nearly* happened. If COVID doesn't save our season in 2020 we would have deferred and lost a lottery pick in 2021 in exchange for a player who helped the team to two non-playoff finishes.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
My issue was that the #1 pick wasn't properly protected. You don't trade away #1 picks when you're a bottom-5 team and risk getting Pollocked, ever. The reports were that Benning didn't even negotiate and accepted TB's first offer. Totally reckless.

In the end, the worst-case *nearly* happened. If COVID doesn't save our season in 2020 we would have deferred and lost a lottery pick in 2021 in exchange for a player who helped the team to two non-playoff finishes.
The Canucks were about to go on a huge winning streak. Covid killed us and gave Tampa a higher puck than they deserved.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The Canucks were about to go on a huge winning streak. Covid killed us and gave Tampa a higher puck than they deserved.

Hahaha, you have got to be kidding me.

The team's record was better after the COVID outbreak. And they were pretty close to eliminated from the playoffs when the outbreak hit, and were shitkicked 9-1 over two games by the Jets immediately before the outbreak.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Hahaha, you have got to be kidding me.

The team's record was better after the COVID outbreak. And they were pretty close to eliminated from the playoffs when the outbreak hit, and were shitkicked 9-1 over two games by the Jets immediately before the outbreak.
Pretty sure hes been EXTREMELY sarcastic :laugh:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The City of Glendale just advised the Arizona Coyotes that they aren't renewing the lease with the team for the Gila River Arena after the end of the current season.

So unless some agreement on a new downtown arena in Phoenix comes out of left field then the team has no place to play. And even if an agreement on a new arena could be reached, it wouldn't be finished inside of three seasons. So looks like this team will be on the move for sure.

Garland and OEL must be thanking their lucky stars that they got out when they did.

Reactions: Get North

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
The City of Glendale just advised the Arizona Coyotes that they aren't renewing the lease with the team for the Gila River Arena after the end of the current season.

So unless some agreement on a new downtown arena in Phoenix comes out of left field then the team has no place to play. And even if an agreement on a new arena could be reached, it wouldn't be finished inside of three seasons. So looks like this team will be on the move for sure.

Garland and OEL must be thanking their lucky stars that they got out when they did.
Cant they go back to their old arena..The one with the obstructed seats..?

Reactions: dwarf

Sneezy

Oct 25, 2019
There's no doubt that with addition of guys like Garland, OEL, Halak and Dickinson, that the Canucks are better on paper.

But they won't be better on the ice unless this coaching staff get them playing a lot better defensive hockey. And under Green, except for a brief period in the playoff bubble year ago, this team looks like it has no clue on how to defend.

Outshot and out-chanced more nights, they've relied on sublime goaltending to survive. Will it change in 2021-22? It has to, or Green will be the first coaching casualty.

Well said, Green is the most important person for the next season and JB needs to have a short leash on him.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Garland is going to have a bigger impact on the Canucks than what JT Miller has done since acquiring him and thats saying alot.

This player is fantastic

Playmaker, finisher, motor, High IQ.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Garland is going to have a bigger impact on the Canucks than what JT Miller has done since acquiring him and thats saying alot.

This player is fantastic

Playmaker, finisher, motor, High IQ.
That seems pretty optimistic, I’d say a similar impact on the ice but Miller has really become a leader in the room, he’s also a bigger body and can play all 3 forward spots so I have a tough time putting Garland over him in terms of overall impact.

I really like Garland though, I was hoping Benning would acquire him in a non-OEL trade lol

Reactions: Peen

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Garland getting super overrated here. If he gets more than 50-55 points I'll be surprised

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

Sometimes in order to improve your team, you have to roll the dice. When you break it down, the Canucks first rounders in 2020 and 2021 turned out to be Shakir Mukhamadulin, a KHL d-man who went 20th overall to the Devils after they acquired the pick from Tampa; and Dylan Guenther, a WHL winger who went 9th overall this spring to the 'Yotes. Those trades helped land J.T. Miller, Connor Garland and OEL

Nothing against those two young draft picks, but from all reports the d-man will need a ton of seasoning; and while Guenther is a quality prospect, he's also a winger. The Canucks are well-stocked on the wingers, both with the parent club and in the pipeline. In fact looking at how that first round broke down, once the Canucks had traded their pick, it was probably a bit of a relief to their scouting staff.

The centers and d-men they were hoping might fall to them, were all scooped up before the ninth overall pick. Still, it'll be interesting to follow the career of those two players.....yet let's be honest here..... they'd both be years away from helping the Canucks if indeed they'd drafted them.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Been through this with you before. You can't protect the pick for an indefinite period of time. You can't "lock in" the pick the way you describe. There is no such dream scenario in real life. I mean do you seriously think that the 1st rounder can be pushed back until such time that the Canucks draft #15 or later?

At the end of the day, that pick turned out to be 20th overall. The trade essentially came out to be 20th overall +71st overall for Miller.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Been through this with you before. You can't protect the pick for an indefinite period of time. You can't "lock in" the pick the way you describe. There is no such dream scenario in real life. I mean do you seriously think that the 1st rounder can be pushed back until such time that the Canucks draft #15 or later?

At the end of the day, that pick turned out to be 20th overall. The trade essentially came out to be 20th overall +71st overall for Miller.

Absolutely there is.

#1 pick that turns into 2 2nd rounders (or something like that) if the #1 would have been a lottery pick. Stuff like this happens all the time - look at the weird conditions on the Jannik Hansen pick as an example.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Absolutely there is.

#1 pick that turns into 2 2nd rounders (or something like that) if the #1 would have been a lottery pick. Stuff like this happens all the time - look at the weird conditions on the Jannik Hansen pick as an example.
The Hansen trade conditions were completely unlike what you're describing and to my knowledge no pick protection of this kind -- ie, a 1st converts to other picks via lottery protection -- has ever been included in an NHL trade.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Been through this with you before. You can't protect the pick for an indefinite period of time. You can't "lock in" the pick the way you describe. .
Oh, theoretically you probably could. But everyone party to this conversation knows nothing like it has ever been done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad