Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign defenseman Philip Holm (Vaxjo Lakers, SHL)

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Larsen looked really good at the start of the season, his defensive game was better than hisnoffence. However he got injured and never got back into a groove. Then Taylor Hall murdered him

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Larsen looked really good at the start of the season, his defensive game was better than hisnoffence. However he got injured and never got back into a groove. Then Taylor Hall murdered him

I don't know about really good. His defensive game was competent but he was brought in for his offense and delivered basically none.

I do agree that he was much worse after returning from injury though.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

Sorry, but at no point last season did Larsen 'look really good'....was a disaster with whomever he was paired with....brought 'zero offense' to the table and swatted away like a fly in his own zone....in fact if he hadn't been so bad, I doubt Stecher would have gotten a shot and likely spent the entire year in Utica....so that's one positive.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Sorry, but at no point last season did Larsen 'look really good'....was a disaster with whomever he was paired with....brought 'zero offense' to the table and swatted away like a fly in his own zone....in fact if he hadn't been so bad, I doubt Stecher would have gotten a shot and likely spent the entire year in Utica....so that's one positive.

Yeah I agree i was never impressed with the guy. We were kinda harsh on him and felt kinda bad about it esp when he got knocked out by Hall cause he seems like a nice guy but ice hockey at the NHL level just aint his thing. Bad loss of a late round pick but not the biggest of problems our team has so guess time to move on

And moving on to Holm sounds like a good player and i guess one benefit of being this bad of a team is attracting some free agents like him cause he will get a better chance here then a place like Chicago or Anahiem or wherever. Hopefully the Radyysh guy decides here too. We will see :)

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
I think this just continually shows the ridiculous state this franchise is in.

Log on and am surprised to see people still talking about this new depth signing, so click hmm what could they be saying. And it's Larsen talk....

Canucks sign a depth dman last year who turns out to be nothing more than that. But because of how he is viewed and communicated to the market through these fantasy glasses that Benning scouts his pro players with - he is coming in to fix the pp etc and is expressed as being a missing piece.

Now it's a year later, he's out of the league again (like some of Benning's other gems he signs/trades for on a yearly basis) and people are still talking about him.

I am not criticizing you guys for talking about Larsen, but just the fact that things are so bad that he is still coming up. When it's a horror story there is no point in turning the page, I get it - I wouldn't want to either.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
Holm did beat out +10 Swedish NHL(-ish) D-men for the national team. Most of them borderline NHL-ers.

But some of them actually have an ordinary position at their respective teams, i.e. actual NHL-players as Gunnarsson, Oduya and J. Ericsson (might be injuries there but I have not read about it and I have not seen that they did get the offer to play at the WC).

Many of the selected D-men where offensive D-men so Holm might have had something to offer with his defensive play.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Holm did beat out +10 Swedish NHL(-ish) D-men for the national team. Most of them borderline NHL-ers.

But some of them actually have an ordinary position at their respective teams, i.e. actual NHL-players as Gunnarsson, Oduya and J. Ericsson (might be injuries there but I have not read about it and I have not seen that they did get the offer to play at the WC).

Many of the selected D-men where offensive D-men so Holm might have had something to offer with his defensive play.
He had nothing to offer, he played less than 5 mins a game

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
Chicago and Toronto.

In the interview he said he chose Vancouver because his gut told him to.

He had nothing to offer, he played less than 5 mins a game

As would anyone else of those who where not selected. Point is, a not very opaque one, he did beat out a bunch of ppl already in the NHL-circus. He did so probably because he had something other to offer (not necessarily better.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
He doesn't seem to have the physical game that compares, but I'd like to see if he can carve out what Carl Gunnarson is now for the Blues, a 5/6 depth defenceman who is mobile enough to the NHL but really doesn't excel at anything. Just an all around every day player. That'd be the high water mark of potential I'd try to keep for this guy, that way if he's just #1 in Utica we aren't all that disappointed.
Hell, anyone else consider just keeping him in Utica if he's at all any good to stay away from the tirefire mess that will be Vancouver next season?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Really a zero-risk signing.....kinda' shocked that a guy who's 25 and spent as long as he has in the SHL, is even eligible to sign an entry-level contract....but it's only for a year, and he can even be sent to the minors without having to clear waivers....and if nothing else, reports are the Canucks signed him out from under the noses of the Leafs and Hawks, so that's a positive.:handclap:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He doesn't seem to have the physical game that compares, but I'd like to see if he can carve out what Carl Gunnarson is now for the Blues, a 5/6 depth defenceman who is mobile enough to the NHL but really doesn't excel at anything. Just an all around every day player. That'd be the high water mark of potential I'd try to keep for this guy, that way if he's just #1 in Utica we aren't all that disappointed.
Hell, anyone else consider just keeping him in Utica if he's at all any good to stay away from the tirefire mess that will be Vancouver next season?

Absolutely.

He's pretty unlikely to be some sort of impact player.

But if he could be an 18-minute #4-5 Gunnarsson type who skates well, plays a low event game, and makes a good first pass, and is on a cheap contract, that would be a major win.

Looking forward to seeing him in preseason and what exactly we have here.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I don't know about really good. His defensive game was competent but he was brought in for his offense and delivered basically none.

I do agree that he was much worse after returning from injury though.

he never looked particularly good offensively. almost right away you realized he needed to be 20 feet in from the blueline for his shot to get through or be dangerous.

but he looked like a mobile top 4 all rounder for about the first 5 games. then he started getting hit and then he adjusted his game to avoid being hit and then he really got hit.

i think he is literally too skinny to play in the nhl. there is just no way to adapt that frame.

tiny103

Jun 28, 2008
Ottawa
Really a zero-risk signing.....kinda' shocked that a guy who's 25 and spent as long as he has in the SHL, is even eligible to sign an entry-level contract....but it's only for a year, and he can even be sent to the minors without having to clear waivers....and if nothing else, reports are the Canucks signed him out from under the noses of the Leafs and Hawks, so that's a positive.:handclap:

Helps having team Sweden on the Canucks :)

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
Another solid, reasonable move by Benning. Thus supporting my theory that when given a reasonable objective that is achievable, he can be a solid GM.

Will love to see the results on the ice next year. Hope for the best. Go nux go!!

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Another solid, reasonable move by Benning. Thus supporting my theory that when given a reasonable objective that is achievable, he can be a solid GM.

Will love to see the results on the ice next year. Hope for the best. Go nux go!!

Another one?! :sarcasm:

Man, I'm running out of fingers counting all Benning's solid, reasonable moves. I might have to use the other hand soon!

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

I admire your blind faith. Will check back after several miserable years to see how you're doing then.

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
But Holm clearly going to have a better year than Larsen, right? Come on... it's not a high bar.

If we trade Tanev, are you okay with Holm as D4? Or Gudbranson / Jordan Subban as D4?

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
But Holm clearly going to have a better year than Larsen, right? Come on... it's not a high bar.

If we trade Tanev, are you okay with Holm as D4? Or Gudbranson / Jordan Subban as D4?

Why couldn't Holm be worse than Larsen?

Were you one of the people who said there was no way that Larsen could be worse than Weber?

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Why couldn't Holm be worse than Larsen?

Were you one of the people who said there was no way that Larsen could be worse than Weber?
I was hoping Larsen would be better than Weber...

Yeah.. not sure why I think Holm can't be worse than Larsen...

But Larsen was so underwhelming... the speed and explosiveness of his skating ability in his youtube highlights in the KHL the year before he came to the Canucks was never on display .. not even a second or glimpse of that speed...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad