Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign defenseman Philip Holm (Vaxjo Lakers, SHL)

Kuzmenkshow

Big smile, big hair, big time player
Jun 21, 2006
Kelowna, BC
https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/canucks-sign-philip-holm/c-289627122

Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the club has signed defenceman Philip Holm to a one-year, entry-level contract. The 6'1", 190-pound defenceman most recently represented Sweden on the international stage at the 2017 World Championship, helping to earn gold for his home country.

"Philip is a mobile, two-way defenceman who adds depth to our blueline," said Benning. "He made strides in his development last season with Vaxjo and played a strong series with Sweden at the World Championships. We're pleased to welcome him to the Canucks organization."

Holm, 25, spent the 2016-17 with the Vaxjo Lakers of the Swedish Hockey League where he posted 21 points (4-17-21) and 30 penalty minutes in 52 games. He was a plus-24 on the season and earned the honours for the 2016-17 best plus/minus in the SHL.

And for some reason Benning traded a 5th round pick to the Swedish National team for him.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Neat. Why the hell would he want to sign here? :sarcasm:

I can't help but think Hutton is still on his way out. There were rumors throughout the season that Hutton was being shopped since Benning thought we were deep on the back-end and could use another forward. Tryamkin may be gone but I imagine Holm will take his spot in the lineup. There's also a good chance Juolevi will be rushed to the NHL.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Seems like a good signing.

Wish I'd watched him more closely at the WCs.

He's obviously 26 so not young, but there isn't much risk here. If he can play in the top-6, it's a major win. If he's an upgrade on Larsen as a #7-8 guy, it's a win. If he goes to Utica and is a top player there for a year, it's a win.

We don't have any defense prospects remotely ready to step into the NHL, so we needed to add some cheap bodies to fill out the roster. Reasonable move whether it turns out or not.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
For those of us who say Benning doesn't learn, at least we've gone from trading a 3rd for pedan to trading a 5th for Larsen to signing Holm to an ELC.

No real downside to this move so maybe he is learning something.

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
did he play with Edler

He stepped in when OEL got sick
Don't remember who he skated with, but probably Brodin. Scored against Italy (1+2) and played OK overall. Good skater. He's a late bloomer so very hard to project how he'll pan out. He might have another level, or he may not. No Europe-clause which is good news! Determined to stay the year at least.

Braeden

Jul 14, 2009
Bob McKenzie scouting report on Holm
DAxmInWUMAA-Uy6.jpg:large

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Craig Button on Holm:

"I would call him a steady player. Maybe he develops into a player that gives more than people thought."

"For any team, you're building up your depth. Going after a player like that is solid business."

21 Points in 52 Games with the Vaxjo Lakers in the Swedish Elite League this past season.

Worst case scenario he's a late bloomer and they re-sign him. Worst case scenario he's Larsen 2.0 and he leaves after the season.

He's waivers and expansion draft exempt.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
I think it's a pretty decent signing... were other teams in on him but lost out?

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
I think it's a pretty decent signing... were other teams in on him but lost out?

There was a report the Leafs signed him during the WC but it was false, it came down to us and Chicago.

Cautiously optimistic, glad we were able to snag at least one of the overseas players.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
For those of us who say Benning doesn't learn, at least we've gone from trading a 3rd for pedan to trading a 5th for Larsen to signing Holm to an ELC.

No real downside to this move so maybe he is learning something.

Yeah, that's the major difference here. Didn't give up a draft pick or anything. Button said he's seen a little Tanev in Holm's development, so that's positive. Plus we have like absolutely zero defensive depth. I'm actually surprised more of these guys aren't signing here because the competition is wide open. Apparently we were in competition with Chicago to sign the guy, and I'll take the Hawks scouts over ours every day of the week.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Guy is fairly tall st 6'2 but lean it sounds like at under 200lbs. Hopefully his skating keeps him out of trouble. But the Canucks need almost any type of defenceman win right now after the Tryamkin mishandling. Rushing OJ into a role he's clearly not ready for isn't going to be a good idea, fastest way to two Virtanen's than only one.
Is he a LHD? Caught very little of the worlds this year as it just wasn't any Canucks to watch so I passed it over for rounds on the links

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad