Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign defenseman Philip Holm (Vaxjo Lakers, SHL)

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
For those of us who say Benning doesn't learn, at least we've gone from trading a 3rd for pedan to trading a 5th for Larsen to signing Holm to an ELC.

No real downside to this move so maybe he is learning something.

Good pickup IMHO, no risk given the team is tanking, no cost other than a contract slot.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
We ran the season with a high water mark of like 47 contracts last year and most of it was spent around the 44 mark. At the very least he can be first call up if Subban beats him out for #7D.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Still the first thing that came to my mind.... and I doubt we're the only two.

When you've seen the same movie 100 times it's hard to expect a different ending.

I've never been as jaded as I am right now about the team and it's future and I'm not going to apologize for it.

He will make no impact and he will contribute nothing.

Those are my expectations... anything else will just be gravy.

That's pretty much where I'm at. I mean hey, if he becomes literally anything useful it's money on the ground. In times such as these, it's best to keep your expectations low.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
The Cancucks have 7 D-men under contract from last season. Someone has to take the job away from one of these guys or simply become #8:

1) Tanev
2) Edler
Jimbo says he's not trading them because the team can't be competitive without them.

3) Stecher
4) Hutton
The so called youth on the back end. Does a rebuilding team trade away it's youth?

5) Gudbranson
6) Sbisa
After losing Tryamkin, does anyone seriously believe that Guddy doesn't get a raise and a contract extension? We are talking about Benning here. He thinks the guy is a #4 at least.
Sbisa is still on Jim's plus side. Even if left on the ED list, why would Vegas want him at his salary and as a dump he is likely to bring back little. There are better D-men available to them under better contracts and more apt to get them something back at the TDL.
I see both as Canucks once again.

7) Biega
Alex is still the dependable guy in the background who always ends up standing in admirably every time the Canucks need a replacement. Many see him as useless, yet he always does an adequate job when pressed into service.

8a) Juolevi
He's 19. Remember the last 2 guys pushed into the lineup at that age? They flunked out. McCann is gone and Virtanen is struggling to keep from drowning. Olli did not set the Junior world on fire last season. He played well, looked good. Did he look like a can't miss NHL rookie who has just got to be in the lineup this season? He can't go to the AHL. Does he become yet another of the Vancouver "prospects" who don't play on the farm when not in the NHL. That list is becoming quite long. My bet is we see him in Vancouver at least for the start of the season.

8b) Holm
We've read all about him and he's one of Benning's most recent toys. He enables Jim to try out Olli while Holm plays in the AHL to start out and accustoms himself to NA's smaller rinks and the physicality of the game over here. If the kid can't be a top 6 D-man he has to go. Go Where? Back to Jrs. or over to Sweden and the big rinks after playing for years in NA. I send him back to Jrs., but I'm not Benning.

Where is the depth for the Canucks on D?

1) Holm, if Olli is on the roster. Otherwise he has to beat out one of the 7 other regulars. IMO he's the guy I'd pencil in to start the season. Olli is not yet an NHL defender and if he stays up he has to play or he becomes Corrado. Green won't let a prospect rot and if he's not ready it won't help the Canucks and it definitely won't help Olli. Green will not want him if he doesn't believe the kid is ready yet.

So what then? I think Benning puts him on the roster to start. He gets his 9 games and it's determined it's in his best interest to go back to Jrs. and work on his offensive game. Holm becomes the other Canuck D-man.

2) Pedan - Already signed.
3) Subban - Last year of his ELC. Has yet to play a regular season game for the Canucks and Benning has never sung his praises.
4) McEneny - Just establishing himself as an AHL capable player and fell off big time in the last 20 games or so. Has to be extended. Not NHL ready.
5) Brisebois - Hasn't played a single pro game and is no where near ready to be playing in the NHL.
6) Sautner - Hasn't proven to be a AHL defender.
7) Chatfield - Don't even.

Where is the depth for the Canucks on D? There is 0 depth. That's it on the farm. Good luck with any of these guys as a replacement to play several games in a row and not hurt the team. You know you will have multiple D injuries and guys will have to come up and fill in. Benning has to acquire a couple very competent veteran D-men in Utica who can fill this role or hold down the fort while Vancouver runs through the rookies to ascertain their worth. It's not out of the question for Jim to find a couple cheap NHL UFA D-men who are proven to be able to carry a bottom 3 position and let Ollie stay in Jrs. and let Holm get his bearings in the AHL for as long as it takes.

I'm not a GM, but that's what I would do. Let Pedan, Subban, McEneny, and Brisebois really get their games down together along with the aid of a couple real good vets. Sautner and Chatfield are the extras used as backups and fill-ins. Probably need one more and it's not Stewart. Radysh? If these so called prospects are still struggling by the end of this season, Pedan is all done, Subban and Mac are probably done, and Brisebois still has some time.

Incredible that after 3 drafts and with the 4th coming up, there is only one Benning drafted D prospect in Utica and that's Brisebois and he is yet to play a game. There are none on the Vancouver roster as well, although Juolevi may be forced in there to prove Benning done something good on drafting D-men. He can't let a #5 develop. He'll have to be in the NHL right away. I hope the kid can handle it.

At forward only Boeser is in Vancouver and maybe Brett McKenzie will be there this year. Guys who should be here are in Europe and in college and are thus unavailable to provide the Canucks with their much needed depth. Again I ask how many NHL teams have their entire drafted forward prospect group somewhere other than the AHL?

The Comets will nurse Virtanen and the only other draft picks who may or may not be in Utica are McKenzie (7th round) and Abols (7th round). That's just flat out ridiculous. The so called prospects are Carcone, LaPlante, and MacEwen, not NHL likelihoods. Goldobin and Molino might be assigned here but everyone seems to see them in Vancouver over the likes of Shore, Skille, and Cramarossa. Regardless, none of them are draft picks.

Note the word DRAFTED before you start throwing out Stecher, Baertschi, Granlund or Goldobin.

Last edited:

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
The Cancucks have 7 D-men under contract from last season. Someone has to take the job away from one of these guys or simply become #8:

1) Tanev
2) Edler
Jimbo says he's not trading them because the team can't be competitive without them.

3) Stecher
4) Hutton
The so called youth on the back end. Does a rebuilding team trade away it's youth?

5) Gudbranson
6) Sbisa
After losing Tryamkin, does anyone seriously believe that Guddy doesn't get a raise and a contract extension? We are talking about Benning here.
He thinks the guy is a #4 at least.
Sbisa is still on Jim's plus side. Even if left on the ED list, why would Vegas want him at his salary and as a dump he is likely to bring back little. There are better D-men available to them with better financial conditions and more apt to get them something back at the TDL.
I see both as Canucks once again.

7) Biega
Alex is still the dependable guy in the background who always ends up standing in admirably every time the Canucks need a replacement. Many see him as useless, yet he always does an adequate job when pressed into service.

8a) Juolevi
He's 19. Remember the last 2 guys pushed into the lineup at that age. They flunked out. McCann is gone and Virtanen is struggling to keep from drowning. Ollie did not set the Junior world on fire last season. he played well, looked good. Did he look like a can't miss NHL rookie who has just got to be in the lineup this season? He can't go to the AHL. Does he become yet another of the Vancouver "prospects" who don't play on the farm when not in the NHL. That list is becoming quite long. My bet is we see him in Vancouver at least for the start of the season.

8b) Holm
We've read all about him and he's one of Benning's most recent toys. He enables Jim to try out Ollie while Holm plays in the AHL to start out and accustoms himself to NA's smaller rinks and the physicality of the game over here. If the kid can't be a top 6 D-man he has to go. Go Where? Back to Jrs. or over to Sweden and the big rinks after playing for years in NA. I send him back to Jrs., but I'm not Benning.

Where is the depth for the Canucks on D?

1) Holm, if Ollie is on the roster. Otherwise he has to beat out one of the 7 other regulars. IMO he's the guy I'd pencil in to start the season. Ollie is not yet an NHL defender and if he stays up he has to play or he becomes Corrado. Green won't let a prospect rot and if he's not ready it won't help the Canucks and it definitely won't help Ollie. Green will not want him if he doesn't believe the kid is ready yet.
So what then? I think Benning puts him on the roster to start. He gets his 9 games and it's determined it's in his best interest to go back to Jrs. and work on his offensive game. Holm becomes the other Canuck D-man.

2) Pedan - Already signed.
3) Subban - Last year of his ELC. Has yet to play a regular season game for the Canucks and Benning has never sung his praises.
4) McEneny - Just establishing himself as an AHL capable player and fell off big time in the last 20 games or so. Has to be extended. Not NHL ready.
5) Brisebois - Hasn't played a single pro game and is no where near ready to be playing in the NHL.
6) Sautner - Hasn't proven to be a AHL defender.
7) Chatfield - Don't even.

Where is the depth for the Canucks on D? There is 0 depth. That's it on the farm. Good luck with any of these guys as a replacement to play several games in a row and not hurt the team. You know you will have multiple D injuries and guys will have to come up and fill in. Benning has to acquire a couple very competent veteran D-men in Utica who can fill this role or hold down the fort while Vancouver runs through the rookies to ascertain their worth. It's not out of the question for Jim to find a couple cheap NHL UFA D-men who are proven to be able to carry a bottom 3 position and let Ollie stay in Jrs. and let Holm get his bearings in the AHL for as long as it takes.

Good post but to be honest watching Brisebois play.. he's not far. Underrated around here

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Worst case is he can go to the ahl and reinforce them or he can stick around and help us tank.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Actually, for a team that's officially 'rebuilding' that defensive depth isn't bad....looking around the league, there's a lot of teams in far worse shape on the blueline than the Canucks.

Tanev and Edler are serious trading chips who could potentially bring back a big return....and Stecher, Hutton and Juolevi are the core of the next group of d-men anyway....I'd have added Tryamkin to the list, and while his loss was a big blow, I still think he'll be back. And I would imagine out of the next couple of drafts they'll be adding at least two d-men.

It's a rebuild, folks.....29th place teams are 29th for a reason....and the blueline is usually one of the big reasons.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Actually, for a team that's officially 'rebuilding' that defensive depth isn't bad....looking around the league, there's a lot of teams in far worse shape on the blueline than the Canucks.

Tanev and Edler are serious trading chips who could potentially bring back a big return....and Stecher, Hutton and Juolevi are the core of the next group of d-men anyway....I'd have added Tryamkin to the list, and while his loss was a big blow, I still think he'll be back. And I would imagine out of the next couple of drafts they'll be adding at least two d-men.

It's a rebuild, folks.....29th place teams are 29th for a reason....and the blueline is usually one of the big reasons.

Benning said he's not trading Tanev unless it blows his socks off and we know that's not going to happen . Other GM's take advantage of Benning...not the other way around.

Edler won't waive this year but probably will next year @ the TDL which I don't have a problem with...better draft in 2018.

I highly doubt Tryamkin will be back as he's pissed and believes he was mismanaged. Don't be surprised if Benning is shopping his rights and heck, he's probably shopping Hutton and Stecher looking for a upgrade.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

Then after they trade Tanev and Edler, they better have some very high draft picks and the guys they'll need better be available because there is still no franchise center and definitely not a #1D in the trio you mentioned and he's not in Utica or in the pipeline. I still think there's a lot of over evaluation of what they do have as well. There's not a lot of size or physicality in the 3 you mention as well. 6'2", 6'3'', and 5'10 is barely average and none of them are actual physical D-men. Biega is more of a hitter than any one of them and he's also only 5'10" and the last guy to dress for a game anyways. The size is in Tryamkin, Gudbranson, and Pedan. Niki went home and the other two aren't that good. I'm afraid the people raving about the depth in the Vancouver D are going to be in for a shock. They are good for the Canucks, but 29th place good isn't exactly hope. They will get better, but not that much better. Certainly not top 2 in the contending NHL.

Haven't seen Brisebois yet, but some here seem to have high hopes. I hope so as well, because the rest I listed in my post above are not the answers if they can even make the next step to the NHL at all.

Bernier the Boats

Formerly BBurke
Aug 31, 2011
Good signing. Holm is likely nothing at the NHL level, since he is quite old and it's difficult to project him developing much more considering his age, and lack of elite production in the SHL (basically the same as Rosen on the Leafs).

No reason not to take a shot at guys like this though, as there is essentially no opportunity cost. Nice to see Vancouver looking to Europe to try to gain assets. As bad as Benning has been over his tenure, he has made some nice moves from around the trade deadline onwards acquiring European skill at very little cost.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Free depth. Nothing to complain about (assuming they don't have another no AHL clause to deal with).

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I like him very much. Smart, safe player with size. Joins the rush from time to time and has much grit.

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
I wasn't fully against the Larsen move but this is the kind of transaction that is muchly preferred . In the very least you get a guy to fill out the Comets for a season or depthe for the main team if not more.

The type of secondary moves that should be looked at during a rebuild.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
We definitely need to add some depth on our blueline and Holm sounds like one of the best euro FA's available so I like the signing.It's even better knowing that we didn't have to throw away another pick or prospect to give him an NHL audition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad