Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign defenseman Philip Holm (Vaxjo Lakers, SHL)

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Larsen had some serious mental blocks playing in the NHL. I don't think it was a skill issue, and I don't think it's a skill issue with a lot of players.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'm reserving judgement on Holm.....the Canucks track record of signing UFA d-man out of Sweden hasn't been all that great....as I recall, a couple of them like Henrik Tomerness never got out of the AHL and are now back in Sweden.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
I'm reserving judgement on Holm.....the Canucks track record of signing UFA d-man out of Sweden hasn't been all that great....as I recall, a couple of them like Henrik Tomerness never got out of the AHL and are now back in Sweden.

He didn't get out of the AHL because he wasn't really given a shot in Utica and left mid-season (think Tryamkin except AHL version and 1.5 seasons instead of 1+). Also draftee vs UFA so its quite different. Edler is also a D out of Sweden and for the most part has been a success (since he's more or less still a top 4 D).

I expect Holm to start in Utica next year but i'll reserve my judgement of him until training camp. Doubt he'll have Stecher type impact but i do expect he'll be competing with McEneny/Subban/Pedan (etc) for the first call-up spot. Its pretty safe to assume we'll lose 2+ D at a time next year (happens every season) so we need depth in Utica and it isn't fair to expect AHL rookie Ds to be ready (there likely will be 2 rookie in Utica's line-up next year... Rookies from CHL aka 21 yrs old).

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
He didn't get out of the AHL because he wasn't really given a shot in Utica and left mid-season (think Tryamkin except AHL version and 1.5 seasons instead of 1+). Also draftee vs UFA so its quite different. Edler is also a D out of Sweden and for the most part has been a success (since he's more or less still a top 4 D).

I expect Holm to start in Utica next year but i'll reserve my judgement of him until training camp. Doubt he'll have Stecher type impact but i do expect he'll be competing with McEneny/Subban/Pedan (etc) for the first call-up spot. Its pretty safe to assume we'll lose 2+ D at a time next year (happens every season) so we need depth in Utica and it isn't fair to expect AHL rookie Ds to be ready (there likely will be 2 rookie in Utica's line-up next year... Rookies from CHL aka 21 yrs old).

Tommernes never played well enough to deserve much of chance. Was continually injured and basically went back to Sweden because he couldn't stand the physical beating he was getting NA. Played no where near as good as Tryamkin.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
This week at work I've been out in the delivery truck for a few extremely stupid reasons I'm not getting into online and I got my first chance to hear SN650 and I remembered this player was here as well. He might have a leg up as this year's...whatever that guy's name was who got run over by Hall.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The most surprising thing about Holm's season is how effective he's been on the pp in Utica......guy was a stay-at-home d-man in Sweden and a single digit point producer on the bigger ice but for some reason seams to be thriving on the small NA sheet........surely he couldn't be any worse at the moment in VanCity over the likes of Pouliot, Del Zotto and Hutton....maybe he gets his shot after the trade deadline.

Reactions: pomorick

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
11 goals is pretty good.

i think utica's injuries have given everyone on the team a chance to be a first liner. sometimes interesting things flow from that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad