Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign defenseman Oscar Fantenberg.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
yeah. maybe it is still small sample size but he has clearly outplayed benn and i thought benn was totally adequate.

i think we will struggle to resign him.

I thought Benn was a decent depth signing, but have been really disappointed in his play. Seems to really back away from oncoming forwards, giving up his blueline and playing a weak, highly conservative gap. Don't feel confident at all with him trying to defend any kind of rush offense.

Fantenberg should be an easy re-sign IMO. Players with his profile don't garner a ton of interest, and having some stability would likely be welcome from a guy that has been bouncing around. Offer him 2 years, and I don't think it takes much more than league minimum for Fantenberg to sign on the dotted line. Being on a team with a few other very good Swedes doesn't hurt either.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This is one player where the eye test and analytics don't come together for me. His analytics aren't very good, but whenever I watch him I come away impressed. Keeps a tight gap, rarely ever gets beat one on one, doesn't get out of position in his own end much, always stays between his man and the net, comes out the corner with the puck more often than not, makes a pretty clean first pass and can even shoot the puck a bit. Physically strong and pushes people around to boot.

Not sure what to make of the analytics, because I see a solid #5 dman by the eye test. Would definitely look at an extension here. 2 years at $1mil per probably gets it done.

His defensive play is solid and he rarely makes positional mistakes, but his issue is his puck-moving ability - constantly making the safe play glass-out doesn't lead to possession for us and offensive zone time. He's also conservative in his pinches and positioning to maintain possession in the offensive end.

He's been good as a #6-7 guy but isn't more than that and isn't really a guy you'd want to give term to. Value comes from cheapness in these types of players.

Reactions: LuckyBoeser

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
His defensive play is solid and he rarely makes positional mistakes, but his issue is his puck-moving ability - constantly making the safe play glass-out doesn't lead to possession for us and offensive zone time. He's also conservative in his pinches and positioning to maintain possession in the offensive end.

He's been good as a #6-7 guy but isn't more than that and isn't really a guy you'd want to give term to. Value comes from cheapness in these types of players.
If you could get him for $1m x 2 it’s not a bad idea. Even $850k.

He’s been much better than Schenn was last year and everyone wanted him back cheap.

Obviously you don’t pay him much.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The Canucks record with Fantenberg is in the lineup is ridiculous....must be doing something right....and absolutely ideal third pairing d-man who's earning next to nothing....too bad Jimbo couldn't have unearthed more of these guys for the third and fourth lines.

Reactions: Hit the post

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
Had a really good 20 game stretch but man, He is playing awful right now. I know we have no one to replace him with the tanev injury, but going to be scary watching Fantenberg and Benn playing meaningful mins down the stretch

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Had a really good 20 game stretch but man, He is playing awful right now. I know we have no one to replace him with the tanev injury, but going to be scary watching Fantenberg and Benn playing meaningful mins down the stretch

Yeah, the wheels have really come off here down the stretch. Had a good start to the season, but he looks every bit the #7-8 guy now. Just does not move the puck well enough.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's hard to fathom the peaks and valleys of depth d-men sometimes. Not unlike Alex Biega, who he basically replaced, Fantenberg came in and played great for 20 games or. But since being paired with Myers, the wheels have really come off the apple cart.

I suppose the Canucks could swap him out for Benn.....but that doesn't represent a massive upgrade. I guess it's just the lot of a depth d-man at the NHL-level and explains why they bounce around the league so often.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
It's hard to fathom the peaks and valleys of depth d-men sometimes. Not unlike Alex Biega, who he basically replaced, Fantenberg came in and played great for 20 games or. But since being paired with Myers, the wheels have really come off the apple cart.

I suppose the Canucks could swap him out for Benn.....but that doesn't represent a massive upgrade. I guess it's just the lot of a depth d-man at the NHL-level and explains why they bounce around the league so often.
Now with Tanev unforutnatley there both in the lineup

Could get ugly the next few games esp with our defensive coach being so awful. Heres how Id call them:

Hughes #2
Edler #2/3
Stecher #4/5
Myers #5
Fantenburg #7
Benn #7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad