Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign defenseman Oscar Fantenberg.

Jovofan

Apr 26, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Honestly have no clue who this guy is, I figured he was a Utica signing until I saw he played 60 games last year. I hope this doesn't move Biega out

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Really didn't like his play last year with the Kings or the Flames. Seemed a step slow. However, was good in Sweden, and plays a fairly physical game and is a hard worker in his end.

Say he is a fringe NHLer and needs to be seen as decent depth type. Might be a top end player in Utica. Wonder if this is a two way contract.

Probably, given Fantenberg's background, a Gradin choice.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
A big, fat "meh" from me here. Depth, physical, in case of injuries, all of these words and phrases have been used to descrìbe other low cost D. We need the depth, and we can bury and forget about him if he's a bust.

Meh.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
He was quite good for the Kings the year before but last year was pretty bad.

He's okay. As said he's probably a decent 7th/8th d-man which is fine.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Are they going with 8d this year? They wouldn't be planning on waiving Biega...

Before our trade for Miller I was pushing for an 8 man rotation.

I don't think Fantenberg would have been a choice of mine for it, but adding Benn and Myers to Edler, Tanev, Hutton, Stetcher, Hughes and Schenn(at the time) would have been a solid 8 man set.

No Schenn and probably not Hutton hurts, but maybe that's a good sign for Juolevi, and Fantenberg carries 0 risk as far as cap or term.

Reactions: mossey3535

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
I like this signing. Wished Benning would have been patient and stuck to these kind of cheap 1 year signings instead of blowing his wad on Myers and trading a 1st for Miller.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Really didn't like his play last year with the Kings or the Flames. Seemed a step slow. However, was good in Sweden, and plays a fairly physical game and is a hard worker in his end.

Say he is a fringe NHLer and needs to be seen as decent depth type. Might be a top end player in Utica. Wonder if this is a two way contract.

Probably, given Fantenberg's background, a Gradin choice.

I believe this is a signing for Utica, unless Biega wets the bed in camp and Fantenberg knocks it out of the park.

If both Fantenberg and Graovac actually play in Utica, as seems to be the intention, that’s a big boost for them.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
I like this signing. Wished Benning would have been patient and stuck to these kind of cheap 1 year signings instead of blowing his wad on Myers and trading a 1st for Miller.
Agree. There’s times to blow your wad, and this was not the right time to blow his wad.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
A depth d-man who'll probably draw press-box duty when everybody is healthy. But I'm with other posters. They could have brought Luke Schenn back for less.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Pushes Saunter down to Utica? Fantenberg and Biega as the pair of healthy scratches?
That's my guess. He's a disposable #8, if one of the young Dman surpasses him you just waive him and not care.

No harm no foul sort of move.

Reactions: Hammer79

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
If we were going to give a depth guy a one-way deal, it's frustrating it wasn't Schenn.

And you hope the one-way status doesn't just auto-push Sautner - who outplayed Fantenberg in the NHL last year - back to the minors because he's easier to send down, but it probably will. God forbid we develop our own depth.

Reactions: daddyohsix

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
If we were going to give a depth guy a one-way deal, it's frustrating it wasn't Schenn.

And you hope the one-way status doesn't just auto-push Sautner - who outplayed Fantenberg in the NHL last year - back to the minors because he's easier to send down, but it probably will. God forbid we develop our own depth.

Do we think Sautner is easier to send down to Utica? I believe he's waiver eligible now, same as Fantenberg and Biega - so if any of those guys are dispatched to Utica, we run the risk of losing them.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Do we think Sautner is easier to send down to Utica? I believe he's waiver eligible now, same as Fantenberg and Biega - so if any of those guys are dispatched to Utica, we run the risk of losing them.

He probably clears. Everyone clears on October 1.

Past history tells me that their fresh one-way signings make the team over the system guys who should have earned a shot.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver

Many point out already, Schenn decided sign eight a contender before his time runs out

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
A depth d-man who'll probably draw press-box duty when everybody is healthy. But I'm with other posters. They could have brought Luke Schenn back for less.
Schenn signed with a contender located in an area with low income taxes and will likely get more playing time there. I don't think it's a safe assumption they could have brought him back, and we don't know they didn't try.

Reactions: biturbo19

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad