Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign defenseman Oscar Fantenberg.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
Remember when people were saying Biega was better than Fantenberg loll. It's not close. He's much better in every way except skating. Good signing has been playing well since Edler went down. Getting better every game to the point where Benn or Stecher might be the odd man out when Edler is back

Last edited:

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
One thing I noticed about Fantenburg is that he has good accurate shot from the point...Something the Canucks D had been lacking in recent years.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I thought Fantenberg had a nice game tonight against the Sharks.....nothing fancy, but seems to make the right play most of the time and manages to get his shots through from the point more often than not.

I guess he comes out of the lineup again once Edler returns, but from my limited viewing, he's actually been better than Benn recently.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Remember when people were saying Biega was better than Fantenberg loll. It's not close. He's much better in every way except skating. Good signing has been playing well since Edler went down. Getting better every game to the point where Benn or Stecher might be the odd man out when Edler is back

I mean. He's biega, basically.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Why does the same group of posters hate Biega and defend Benning?

It's weird.

Reactions: 420Canuck

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Personally dont think hes anything special. Hes just what you want in a third pairing - mostly invisible, makes smart simple plays. Many posters have, especially in the past, grossly over or understated what Fantenberg brings to the table which has done nothing but make him a player you have to love or hate.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
I’ve been pleasantly surprised by Fantenberg, he’s generally well positioned, makes the right decision with the puck to keep possession and is a decent enough skater. I think he may deserve a few games in place of Benn when Edler returns, but at the very least I feel more comfortable about the depth when injuries hit again

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I mean. He's biega, basically.

He plays a little bit different - but same role and similarly effective.

I’ll admit I was pretty steamed when we moved on from Biega for him - a loyal foot soldier who always played his role well for an unknown quantity in Fantenberg. But I’ve been pleasantly surprised by Oscar’s play, and the Canucks did right by Biega in moving him to Detroit.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
He plays a little bit different - but same role and similarly effective.

I’ll admit I was pretty steamed when we moved on from Biega for him - a loyal foot soldier who always played his role well for an unknown quantity in Fantenberg. But I’ve been pleasantly surprised by Oscar’s play, and the Canucks did right by Biega in moving him to Detroit.

I like Fantenberg fine but as a fan I would have liked to see Biega get a real shot after four straight years of outplaying the team's acquisitions. The whole thing still rubs me the wrong way.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I like Fantenberg fine but as a fan I would have liked to see Biega get a real shot after four straight years of outplaying the team's acquisitions. The whole thing still rubs me the wrong way.

True. I like to see guys who’ve loyally done their work for the organization get rewarded. But I at least feel good that the Canucks found him a home at the NHL level. Wonder if they can do the same with Baertschi.

CRDragon

[̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
Dec 2, 2006
Vancouver
Fantenberg has been solid enough but has 5 points in his last 67 NHL games as opposed to the 16 in 41 Biega had last year. How much ES offense Biega was contributing is incredibly underrated.

Really? He has 0 points in 16 games for Detroit.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Really? He has 0 points in 16 games for Detroit.

I can’t comment on what he’s been doing in Detroit or how he’s been used.

At the time we waived him, he had more ES points in his last 82 games than any other Canuck defender including Myers and Edler. He was putting a ton of pucks toward the net and was a major ES play driver here.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Biega had a renaissance last year in terms of production. It was an outlier and as much as i loved the bulldawg his on ice vision was pretty bad. He had a good run here and probably should have played more becasue Guddy and others at times were worse. But thats the life of a NHL journeyman.

Fantenberg in my limited viewings looks more measured and composed moving the puck forward but obviously doesnt have the wheels and same intensity. like the signing so far

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
I actually thought it was a big mistake choosing Fanta over Schenn (meh on Biega). I’ve been proven wrong so far on that.
Me too. Schenn was more of a bodyguard for Quinn but not needed anymore in today’s NHL. I hope the Swedish kid we drafted in the later rounds can be our homegrown Oscar.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I never really thought it was as much a Biega vs Fantenberg as it was Biega/Fantenberg vs the 1st Utica callup. Unless there's something I'm wrong about someone in Utica we should have both guys in the system as the #7 and #8 D.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Forsure I agree with that statement. However Fatenberg is the better player in my eyes

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Team is 18-9-1 with Oscar in the lineup.

That’s a 105 or so point pace. Quietly a pretty effective player.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
This is one player where the eye test and analytics don't come together for me. His analytics aren't very good, but whenever I watch him I come away impressed. Keeps a tight gap, rarely ever gets beat one on one, doesn't get out of position in his own end much, always stays between his man and the net, comes out the corner with the puck more often than not, makes a pretty clean first pass and can even shoot the puck a bit. Physically strong and pushes people around to boot.

Not sure what to make of the analytics, because I see a solid #5 dman by the eye test. Would definitely look at an extension here. 2 years at $1mil per probably gets it done.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
This is one player where the eye test and analytics don't come together for me. His analytics aren't very good, but whenever I watch him I come away impressed. Keeps a tight gap, rarely ever gets beat one on one, doesn't get out of position in his own end much, always stays between his man and the net, comes out the corner with the puck more often than not, makes a pretty clean first pass and can even shoot the puck a bit. Physically strong and pushes people around to boot.

Not sure what to make of the analytics, because I see a solid #5 dman by the eye test. Would definitely look at an extension here. 2 years at $1mil per probably gets it done.
Agreed

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

yeah. maybe it is still small sample size but he has clearly outplayed benn and i thought benn was totally adequate.

i think we will struggle to resign him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad