Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign DeFazio and Archibald

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Weise played 10:14 mins per game in the playoffs, 13th amongst forwards on the Habs.
I'm no mathematician, but I'm pretty sure that qualifies him as a 4th liner.
And he was very noticeable, for sure. Not sure why Torts was unable to get him as engaged in Vancouver.

Weise was the leading 4th liner in the NHL in terms of points/minutes played at the time he was traded.

He was an exceptionally effective 4th liner here, and the criticism he took was rubbish.

It blows my mind that a player as effective as Weise took so much criticism here while a player as ineffective as Sestito is so popular. But yay, staged fights.

________

On topic, good to see both players re-signed as system depth.

Archibald didn't impact games as much as hoped up here but didn't hurt the team either.

DeFazio was a weird case in training camp last year - looked really good in his one preseason game and looked to have earned a longer look but was immediately sent back to the AHL.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Weise played 10:14 mins per game in the playoffs, 13th amongst forwards on the Habs.
I'm no mathematician, but I'm pretty sure that qualifies him as a 4th liner.
And he was very noticeable, for sure. Not sure why Torts was unable to get him as engaged in Vancouver.

AV couldn't get him "engaged" either. He's a bad player that went on a nice streak, that's all.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Well, they were more of our 3rd line because of injuries is what I was getting at.

With Canuck luck 2 guys will get injured in training camp and another 2 in the preseason games. At least we have Corrado Horvat (9 games), Gaunce, Jensen and Shinkaruk to fill in the injury gaps this year and keep the 4th line as an entity.

I'm really hoping that 4th line can play 10-12 mins as a unity with heavy D zone starts. Poor mans Torres/Higgins-Malhtora-Hansen (3rd line) which did such as great job for us.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
In his defence (Archibald and everyone really) That Coaching staff sucked the life out of everyone in the end... Getting called up into that team, and its dramas, and probably being yelled at at some stage, my not have helped... Look at what a largely un impressive Weise did when put in a better situation

Tell him to go out and lay some bodies out, create some energy, forward into the O zone, North South, he would be right at home IMO

My read on Archi was posted in comment #26. However, an additional comment comes of f of the torts idea. When Archi left the Comets, he was a high energy, crash and bang, hit anything that moved (without taking dumb penalties), go to the net player. Nothing fancy because he doesn't skate well enough to be fancy. He also had every teammate's back either when on the ice or when he got back out there and hunted the guilty party down.

When he came back he was a shell of his former self. He never gave the Comets that kind of burst again. I believe Torts got in his grill and told him in no uncertain terms how he was to play. Thus, you saw that guy so many fans here are saying they weren't impressed with. Maybe he'll be allowed to be himself without Torts on the scene and we in Utica as well as you in Vancouver will see the original Archi. He wasn't the most skilled guy, but he was effective in his own style and a lot of fun to watch.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
With Canuck luck 2 guys will get injured in training camp and another 2 in the preseason games. At least we have Corrado Horvat (9 games), Gaunce, Jensen and Shinkaruk to fill in the injury gaps this year and keep the 4th line as an entity.

I'm really hoping that 4th line can play 10-12 mins as a unity with heavy D zone starts. Poor mans Torres/Higgins-Malhtora-Hansen (3rd line) which did such as great job for us.

I think if Horvat makes the team, we easily have the depth to keep guys like Sestito and Dorsett out of the bottom 9.

As for Archibald, I'm thinking Tortorella negatively impacted his development in some way. He came in, playing the game he knew to play. He then changed what he was doing, and was no longer the same. Hopefully he can be set back on track, because I liked the direction he was headed - he has the upside to be a real good 4th liner, and if we can get those in the system, it keeps us from needing to pay picks to obtain these types of players (trading for Dalpe/Welsh, or Dorsett).

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
i think darren needs to go back to his old style of play. not a good skater but decent enough player to forecheck. score some dirty goals. crash bang the net type of guy.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Pulling for Archie...undrafted ECHL'er who has exceeded expectations.....if he picks up that half-step, could make it as fourth liner....kind of reminds me of Jamaal Mayers with Blues and half-a-dozen other teams....energy guy who crashes and bangs....every team needs a winger who finishes his checks:handclap:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Weise was very inconsistent. Losing him isn't really much of a loss.

Archibald was very noticeable physically in his games here. If given a chance, I think he can be a fine 4th line forward.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
The things you learn when you watch hockey...

I didn't realize you could watch teams like the Kings, Bruins and Hawks in recent playoffs and not come away impressed with their 4th lines.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
For the poster that was looking for Archibald's hit last season, this is it:

Weise was the leading 4th liner in the NHL in terms of points/minutes played at the time he was traded.

He was an exceptionally effective 4th liner here, and the criticism he took was rubbish.

It blows my mind that a player as effective as Weise took so much criticism here while a player as ineffective as Sestito is so popular. But yay, staged fights.

________

On topic, good to see both players re-signed as system depth.

Archibald didn't impact games as much as hoped up here but didn't hurt the team either.

DeFazio was a weird case in training camp last year - looked really good in his one preseason game and looked to have earned a longer look but was immediately sent back to the AHL.

I remember this too. Looked good in preseason but didn't get another chance which was sort of strange. If Green's lineup towards the end of the year is any indication I'd say DeFazio might have as good of a shot of making it as Archie, if not better.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Seems to me that one of the things Archie has going for him is his net presence...guy is an immovable object in front of the cage and not afraid to take it to the net...not sure what happened to him later in the season at Utica or during his second call-up. Maybe injured? But team desperately needs some crease-crashers....not nearly enough 'ugly goals' last year as the stats confirm..seem to remember that Archie ran a few goaltenders back in Junior..bring it on:nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad