Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign DeFazio and Archibald

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Ask Bruins/Hawks/Kings fans. :)

Also was not impressed with Archibald. Horrible possession numbers in his limited stint, didn't seen enough energy consistently either.

Watched Archi all last season. Was a high energy, basher, and crasher for the better part of the season until his second call-up. When he came back after that he kind of melted into the background. He was not the guy who left here when he got back.

He is not a good skater. Change of direction and stopping and starting to reverse direction not so good. Trying to step around someone and maintain speed not going to happen. His puck handling skills are also weak. Thus, he skates up and down his wing. Passes the puck very soon after receiving it or dumps and chases when he has no pass. He will hit anything in his way and can really lay in the grass for a guy who is unsuspecting. I commented last season that he and lain needed to get with a power skating coach and bust their tails all summer to improve their skating. Puck handling drills up the ying yang would be helpful as well.

So basically, you probably won't see any high puck possession numbers with him, but that energy thing was his M.O. The speed and skating abilities of most NHL players may be giving him serious problems when he comes up. He either becomes a better skater or the AHL may be his final stopping place.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
He either becomes a better skater or the AHL may be his final stopping place.

This certainly seems to sum up where things stand. I've enjoyed following and cheering for Archibald, but I'm now pessimistic about his future as an NHLer. For every player able to improve his skating significantly, there are many who can't. Still, the fact that he made it to the AHL and even had a few games with the Canucks means he was a successful free-agent, undrafted signing.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=726913

I liked Archie when he was up last year. Glad to keep him around.

I hated Archie when he was up last year. He was tentative and timid and not at all the guy who was knocking people ass over teakettle in the AHL. Then he went back to the AHL and his play dipped there too.

If he can be the guy he was in the first half of the AHL season again, this is a good signing, even if he's only for AHL depth. He's still got a long way to go to be a regular bottom line NHL'er. For all the flack Sestito gets, he's head and shoulders better than Archie.

As for DeFazio... whatever, decent AHL guy, I guess.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
I really do not understand all the hate Tom Sestito gets on here. The guy is a fourth line enforcer and does his job well. What exactly is everyone expecting out of someone in this role? Every time I read a post on here that Archie should stay in Vancouver and Sestito should be sent down I chuckle and think that I would take that swap in a heartbeat.

Archie is a hard nosed player and a fan favorite here in Utica but he is not an enforcer. His game is much more of a pest than a fighter and doesn't skate well enough to play that role in the NHL. If he ever decided to change into a primary enforcer role then maybe he would have a shot but I don't know how well he would do against some of the NHL's heavyweights.

I would like to see DeFazio get his cup of coffee in the NHL. Much better skill and hands than Archie, always finishes his checks and never takes a shift off.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I hated Archie when he was up last year. He was tentative and timid and not at all the guy who was knocking people ass over teakettle in the AHL. Then he went back to the AHL and his play dipped there too.

If he can be the guy he was in the first half of the AHL season again, this is a good signing, even if he's only for AHL depth. He's still got a long way to go to be a regular bottom line NHL'er. For all the flack Sestito gets, he's head and shoulders better than Archie.

As for DeFazio... whatever, decent AHL guy, I guess.

I agree with all this. I was really excited to see him here last year, but his play was disappointing.

I still like this signing though, hopefully he takes better advantage of his opportunity if he gets one this time.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I really do not understand all the hate Tom Sestito gets on here. The guy is a fourth line enforcer and does his job well. What exactly is everyone expecting out of someone in this role? Every time I read a post on here that Archie should stay in Vancouver and Sestito should be sent down I chuckle and think that I would take that swap in a heartbeat.

Archie is a hard nosed player and a fan favorite here in Utica but he is not an enforcer. His game is much more of a pest than a fighter and doesn't skate well enough to play that role in the NHL. If he ever decided to change into a primary enforcer role then maybe he would have a shot but I don't know how well he would do against some of the NHL's heavyweights.

I would like to see DeFazio get his cup of coffee in the NHL. Much better skill and hands than Archie, always finishes his checks and never takes a shift off.

It's not that Sestito is terrible at his role, he made big strides last year.

My problem with Sestito is that I don't believe that role is necessary. I rather put a better hockey player on the 4th line, probably a grinder.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
It's not that Sestito is terrible at his role, he made big strides last year.

My problem with Sestito is that I don't believe that role is necessary. I rather put a better hockey player on the 4th line, probably a grinder.

Well does anyone know if Medicine Hat had a lot of fighters? It's the WHL so of course there must have been some fighting but did Big WIllie have time for fighters who couldn't play? Or even fighters who could play?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I really like Archibald. Really hits hard. I think he just needs a chance.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
At 50 contracts now. Archibald didn't impress me too much when he played on the 4th line in the NHL but just a 4th liner.
I believe you guys are at 46 contracts, the 4 sliding ELCs do not start to count until they play their 10th NHL game (this year).

If I'm not mistaken this leaves the Canucks with no remaining RFAs? If so good work by Benning to get everyone wrapped up early.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Watched Archi all last season. Was a high energy, basher, and crasher for the better part of the season until his second call-up. When he came back after that he kind of melted into the background. He was not the guy who left here when he got back.

He is not a good skater. Change of direction and stopping and starting to reverse direction not so good. Trying to step around someone and maintain speed not going to happen. His puck handling skills are also weak. Thus, he skates up and down his wing. Passes the puck very soon after receiving it or dumps and chases when he has no pass. He will hit anything in his way and can really lay in the grass for a guy who is unsuspecting. I commented last season that he and lain needed to get with a power skating coach and bust their tails all summer to improve their skating. Puck handling drills up the ying yang would be helpful as well.

So basically, you probably won't see any high puck possession numbers with him, but that energy thing was his M.O. The speed and skating abilities of most NHL players may be giving him serious problems when he comes up. He either becomes a better skater or the AHL may be his final stopping place.

^^Archibald in a nutshell. Couldn't have said it better myself.

I had high hopes for him in his callup; I don't know why, but I did.

Hopefully he can work on his skills this offseason and make an impact down the line.

DeFazio...thought I recognized the name, but I was thinking of Benny Fazio from the Sopranos. Chrissy's crew; felt bad for him when Phil Leotardo put him in the hospital, and was cheering when he stuck Artie Bucco's hand in boiling soup. Artie always pissed me off...wannabe wise guy riding on Tony's coattails just because they were buddies in high school.

Mofletz

Aug 28, 2006
Archibald wasn't noticeable when he got called up. no hits, no fights, just a passenger.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
^^Archibald in a nutshell. Couldn't have said it better myself.

I had high hopes for him in his callup; I don't know why, but I did.

Hopefully he can work on his skills this offseason and make an impact down the line.

DeFazio...thought I recognized the name, but I was thinking of Benny Fazio from the Sopranos. Chrissy's crew; felt bad for him when Phil Leotardo put him in the hospital, and was cheering when he stuck Artie Bucco's hand in boiling soup. Artie always pissed me off...wannabe wise guy riding on Tony's coattails just because they were buddies in high school.

In his defence (Archibald and everyone really) That Coaching staff sucked the life out of everyone in the end... Getting called up into that team, and its dramas, and probably being yelled at at some stage, my not have helped... Look at what a largely un impressive Weise did when put in a better situation

Tell him to go out and lay some bodies out, create some energy, forward into the O zone, North South, he would be right at home IMO

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Archibald should be competing for a 4th line spot this year or at least deserves to.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Don't see much in Archibald. He couldn't keep up with last year's system, can't see him being able to keep up in next year's. And as a call up, well, I'd hope there'd be someone more deserving. Signed as depth for the farm, and that's fine. If he does turn into more, bonus.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
Don't see much in Archibald. He couldn't keep up with last year's system, can't see him being able to keep up in next year's. And as a call up, well, I'd hope there'd be someone more deserving. Signed as depth for the farm, and that's fine. If he does turn into more, bonus.

Pretty much my thoughts.

hockeywoot

Oct 29, 2010
China
Didn't know 4th liners could impress.

Right?

Archibald didn't WOW anyone...but I don't think he was terrible either like some seem to suggest. He looked average, but at the NHL level. (which is a good sign when you consider he spent some time in the ECHL the year prior).

If his game takes another step forward this year, I reckon he'll be ready to stick. I reckon he starts in AHL but gets called up a couple of times, and stays up with his last one.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
I've been the biggest Archibald supporter since we signed him a couple years ago. The problem with him is he played no where near his potential when he had the chance last year. Even after he just floated around the ice on his first call-up, he had another chance on a second call-up. He didn't hit, forecheck, fight or score. I'm sorry but if you want to stay in the NHL you need to make an impact every chance you get.

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
Did ya notice Weise playing on the Habs 2nd line, while shooting 2x his shooting %?
Weise played 10:14 mins per game in the playoffs, 13th amongst forwards on the Habs.
I'm no mathematician, but I'm pretty sure that qualifies him as a 4th liner.
And he was very noticeable, for sure. Not sure why Torts was unable to get him as engaged in Vancouver.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Weise played 10:14 mins per game in the playoffs, 13th amongst forwards on the Habs.
And he was very noticeable, for sure. Not sure why Torts was unable to get him as engaged in Vancouver.

No Daniel Briere type available as his linemate a good part of the time here.;)

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Yeah...is anyone surprised that Briere's linemates put up a lot of points in the playoffs? Briere is a playoff god and puts up points no matter what, so his linemates will be put in good positions.

member 105785

see Briere, also Weise was gifted minutes vs Tampa and to a lesser extent Boston iirc. His possession numbers weren't great and he was only noticeable because somehow his pucks always ended up in the net, it was complete luck and nothing else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad