Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Tyler Myers to 5-Year, $30m Deal ($6m AAV)

Thoughts on the contract?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Weisbrod with the sneaky leaks

bad contract, but was expecting much, much worse. Probably 1 mill overpay

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
This deal only looks good because people don’t know how bad Myers is.

Myers getting paid 6 million but playing like he’s worth 3 million will drive you nuts, just wait and see.

Last edited:

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Tyler Myers can skate well for his size and can put up pts, which is what makes him better than the average bottom pair guy and serviceable as a 2nd pair player for a bubble team.
As soon as he starts to decline, this will look very VERY bad.
Now I will be even more pissed if it turns out the term is longer than 5 years

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
That is a lot of money for a bottom pairing guy who is a negative posession player.

Other teams have a bad contract or two, we have very few good ones and a bag of bad ones.

Reactions: Index

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Just not a player that should be commanding such a price tag.

If Benning was able to identify pro level defenders he wouldn’t be backed into a corner and have to sign a contract like this.

It’s not catastrophic and it’s not as bad as we thought it would be, but he’s one of 30 highest paid defenders in the league and doesn’t really do anything well.

He’s going to be tasked with play 23-25 minutes a night against tough competition and he’s going to be absolutely destroyed.

He’s a fine #4/5 defender that can contribute offense well at even strength of deployed correctly, but he’s going to get over played here and look a lot worse than he did in Winnipeg because of our lack of defensive depth.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I think the major takeaway is that Myers obviously targeted Vancouver and wanted to play here. To the point he may have been able to squeeze a bit more out of the market in terms of AAV and term.

Seems like he basically didn't even really talk to other teams. The contract is within median market range probably. Maybe cut a year and a few $100k.
He must really like rain then

Reactions: Kallio and TruGr1t

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Just not a player that should be commanding such a price tag.

If Benning was able to identify pro level defenders he wouldn’t be backed into a corner and have to sign a contract like this.

It’s not catastrophic and it’s not as bad as we thought it would be, but he’s one of 30 highest paid defenders in the league and doesn’t really do anything well.

He’s going to be tasked with play 23-25 minutes a night against tough competition and he’s going to be absolutely destroyed.

He’s a fine #4/5 defender that can contribute offense well at even strength of deployed correctly, but he’s going to get over played here and look a lot worse than he did in Winnipeg because of our lack of defensive depth.
Hey, he won the Calder like 10 years ago, give him another chance!!!

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend

Yeah, this is going to be a nightmare. This poster is articulating precisely why.

Next season is going to be a blur of Myers getting BTFO amidst Edler and Tanev injuries with a blur of AHL callups. Stecher will inexplicably be +20.

How soon before he's Tryamkin'd with Elmer telling him he needs to play more like Chris Pronger while making his own sound effects and exaggerated body movements?

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
If you remember Ed Jovanovski, then here's Tyler Myers circa 2019.
Couldn’t Jovo shoot? I’ll admit it’s slightly before my time but Myers plays about half his size. His shot is a muffin and rarely on net and he loses his guy in the D zone more than any defender I’ve ever seen. He’s okay off the rush because his reach is a mile long but he turns so slowly and poorly that it leads to him getting blown by not infrequently even with his reach. And saying he can skate okay for his size is basically saying he’s a better skater than Chara. He’s decidedly not a good skater.

I truly wish this were better news for you and I realize most of you know much of this already but wanted to give the perspective of someone who has suffered through watching him for three plus years.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I voted without knowing the trade restrictions. Given Benning's past contracts, my guess is that he'll get full trade protection in the early years (perhaps even expansion draft protection) with a limited NTC in later years. I think it's a good deal for a UFA contract. 5 years is about as good as you can expect. $6M AAV is a tad high for a guy who should hopefully slot in as a 2nd pairing Dman. For comparison's sake, De Haan got 4 years at $4.55M last season. What Myers got isn't what typical 1st pairing Dman got. So to me if Myers is your target and are slotting him in as a top 4 Dman on this right side this is a solid deal albeit slight overpayment for what he brings.

Reactions: Nomobo

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
In 2 years this will be viewed identically to how the Eriksson deal is viewed now.

Dude is a turnstile already and it’s only gonna get worse.

Will say that as much as I don’t like the player and hate the contract it is nice to see a guy who clearly really wanted to play here.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Sorta funny this isn't even Myers biggest contract. His last one was like $38M total or something.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
According to Craig Button, it's 'buyer beware' with Myers. Played behind Trouba and Byfuglien on the right side with the Jets, and constantly under-performed when they were forced to move him up into a top-four.

The only way a $6m contract for five years makes any sense is if you're utterly convinced Myers is a legitimate top-four d-man. But like Eriksson and Gudbranson before him, it's unlikely he'll ever be what the Canucks hope.

But I understand Jimbo scouted and drafted him when he was with the Sabres , so there was sense of the inevitable on this contract basically since the end of the season.

Reactions: tyhee

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
In 2 years this will be viewed identically to how the Eriksson deal is viewed now.

Dude is a turnstile already and it’s only gonna get worse.

Will say that as much as I don’t like the player and hate the contract it is nice to see a guy who clearly really wanted to play here.

A lot of posters like to say that Benning isn't good at attracting UFAs. In reality, the only big-name UFAs who have signed here in recent memory are either from BC or from Sweden.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad