Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Matt Bartkowski to 1-Year Deal ($1.75m AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

arsmaster*

Stanton is this year's Santorelli. Fringe NHL players that are former Canucks we let go and are now overrated by Canuck fans.

I know I'm blocked but I'm retorting this.

The issue is for this specific player: Matt Bartkowski.

He's just as marginal an NHL player as Stanton. Produced less last year in similar usage.

Yet makes nearly 3x the salary. It's weird

The issue with the "fringe NHLer" tag is that by the same metrics so is Matty B and Luca Sbisa.

Stanton is being compared to his contemporaries and his replacements on this team and he doesn't come out looking much worse than either. Actually looks quite a bit better and then you factor in salaries and it gets really slanted towards Stanton.

Not meaning to derail Matty B's thread but when the same crew is taking pot shots at Stanton I'll ask again. What does Luca Sbisa do better? Is it enough to pay him 6x as much salary?

Stanton has been more productive over the past two seasons (not even full seasons) as Sbisa has in 4 seasons.

Matt "puck mover" Bartkowski produced 4 points last season.

Stanton has out produced him too.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Stanton was worse than Weber last year; I had no idea that was even possible.

Guess you forgot to look at who Weber's partner was when he looked ok - Hamhuis.;)

Sbisa-Weber pairing wouldn't look all that great either.

Stanton is this year's Santorelli. Fringe NHL players that are former Canucks we let go and are now overrated by Canuck fans.
Fringe players that either had a VERY low cap hit or were obtained without costing us any assets (or both). That's why they tend to get "overrated". Especially in lieu of the alternatives (who aren't much - if that - better)

NoRaise4Brackett

But Brackett!!!
Mar 16, 2011
Lurking the Boards
Stanton let his man slip in behind him way too often. He was decent for Torts, but pretty bad for Willie. I'm not sold on Bartkowski by any means, but I have no problem giving him a shot at the expense of Stanton.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014

lol so true
For all the moaning that goes on here for not bringing back Santorelli I notice he has not been signed yet. He will sign another 1 year low end contract and play for yet another team as he continues to bounce around the NHL

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
I don't see the Bartkowski signing as anything to get too worked up about. If the truth were really told I doubt many of us here have seen him play extensively. So let see how he does. It is a one year deal. Word is he skates very well and will play aggressively. Two things the back end sorely needs. Not a huge or long term investment to see what he can do here.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
I don't see the Bartkowski signing as anything to get too worked up about. If the truth were really told I doubt many of us here have seen him play extensively. So let see how he does. It is a one year deal. Word is he skates very well and will play aggressively. Two things the back end sorely needs. Not a huge or long term investment to see what he can do here.

You know that sums up one of our other players who just signed a long term contract where we are paying for his "upside".

Comparing this signing to Sbisa's contract, this is a great signing but given Sbisa is being overpaid, this deal is the same. You just don't pay bottom pairing dmans 1.75mil instead of say 1mil or less. Other teams find decent bottom pairing Ds for ~1mil, we get Sbisa/Bartowski (or Weber who is actually worth his contract...).

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Stanton let his man slip in behind him way too often. He was decent for Torts, but pretty bad for Willie. I'm not sold on Bartkowski by any means, but I have no problem giving him a shot at the expense of Stanton.

And that is the stupidity of it. It did not have to be at the expense of Stanton not being qualified. They should have QO'd Stanton, had him fight it out with the other spares and send down the worst. If it is Stanton and he clears waivers that is awesome for Utica and awesome for the Canucks, if he is claimed then no damage done.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Physical and smooth skater, what's not to like?

Cap isn't even that bad for a 1 year deal.

You can say that the same about Sbisa - minus the cap hit & term.

Two of them on the ice at the same time? Ryan Miller will age prematurely.

topheavyhookjaw

Sep 7, 2008
Yeah, I think it's pretty fair to like this signing (bottom pair support for <2m on a 1 year) and also lament letting Stanton go for nothing.

Team needs cheap NHL playable depth on D, they do every year. I don't see a problem with getting some in the market, but I don't like letting it walk away when it's cheap to keep.

That being said, from a management perspective, it's a part of the roster that's easy to churn over to suit your coach/system better.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
You can say that the same about Sbisa - minus the cap hit & term.

Two of them on the ice at the same time? Ryan Miller will age prematurely.

Just thinking about sbisa gives me nightmares. My tickets are just inside the Canucks blue line and i close my eyes every time Luca starts skating the puck out. Never have I been so on edge while watching a hockey player ( in a bad way)

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver

Mike Santorelli was far from a "fringe NHL player" that's just absolutely ridiculous and every metric of analysis easily debunks that idea.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I know I'm blocked but I'm retorting this.

The issue is for this specific player: Matt Bartkowski.

He's just as marginal an NHL player as Stanton. Produced less last year in similar usage.

Yet makes nearly 3x the salary. It's weird

The issue with the "fringe NHLer" tag is that by the same metrics so is Matty B and Luca Sbisa.

Stanton is being compared to his contemporaries and his replacements on this team and he doesn't come out looking much worse than either. Actually looks quite a bit better and then you factor in salaries and it gets really slanted towards Stanton.

Not meaning to derail Matty B's thread but when the same crew is taking pot shots at Stanton I'll ask again. What does Luca Sbisa do better? Is it enough to pay him 6x as much salary?

Stanton has been more productive over the past two seasons (not even full seasons) as Sbisa has in 4 seasons.

Matt "puck mover" Bartkowski produced 4 points last season.

Stanton has out produced him too.

Spending $5.3 million on Sbisa and Bartkowski to fill roles that should cost <$2 million combined is just awful. Both are marginal #6-7 defender who couldn't get out of the pressbox with their previous teams.

Stanton is just as good at $600k. It's just absurd. Shows no understanding of cap management whatsoever.

Physical and smooth skater, what's not to like?

Cap isn't even that bad for a 1 year deal.

Hockey is about 1) scoring goals and 2) preventing goals. Bartkowski, despite skating nicely and throwing some hits, isn't very good at either.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Stanton is just as good at $600k. It's just absurd. Shows no understanding of cap management whatsoever.

Matt Bartkowski was a 20:00 a night, top 4 defenseman his first year in the NHL 2 seasons ago. He showed better that year than anything we've seen from Stanton. He's also a great skater, which is a better fit in Desjardins system than Stanton is. This past season he struggled with consistency and Claude Julien wasn't a fan of his game. Much like Stanton struggled and Desjardins wasn't a fan of his game.

Are you saying there are 20-25 GM's out there right now with no understanding of cap management? Because I'm pretty sure Stanton will accept any contract thrown his way at this point. Guy might not even get an NHL job.

Bartkowski could be anything from a top 4 guy, down to a fringe #6 or 7 for the Canucks. The signing was well worth the risk on a 1 year deal. Term would have been the reason to avoid Bartkowski - and they didn't offer it to him.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Are you saying there are 20-25 GM's out there right now with no understanding of cap management? Because I'm pretty sure Stanton will accept any contract thrown his way at this point. Guy might not even get an NHL job.

We have no way of knowing if the same thing wouldn't be true of Bartkowski if he didn't sign with the Canucks, so that argument isn't very persuasive.

There is a very good chance the same would be true for Sbisa if the Canucks didn't re-sign him.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
I think Bartkowski is fine and this contract is fine, but where does he play? Does he move to the right side -- and if so, why? It would mean one of Clendening or Corrado not playing. If he stays on the left, I presume he would be behind Sbisa on the depth chart (lmao) so...

I wouldn't be surprised to see Sbisa moved to the right side to play in the top 4 with Hamhuis, which would be... not the best way to raise Hamhuis' value before trading him.

Weird. I have to think they just find a way to get Bartkowski in the line-up and then move him at the deadline. I sure hope Benning is planning to move all these pending UFA's.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I think Bartkowski is fine and this contract is fine, but where does he play? Does he move to the right side -- and if so, why? It would mean one of Clendening or Corrado not playing. If he stays on the left, I presume he would be behind Sbisa on the depth chart (lmao) so...

I wouldn't be surprised to see Sbisa moved to the right side to play in the top 4 with Hamhuis, which would be... not the best way to raise Hamhuis' value before trading him.

Weird. I have to think they just find a way to get Bartkowski in the line-up and then move him at the deadline. I sure hope Benning is planning to move all these pending UFA's.
Makes you wonder about Hamuis's spot on the team. Sbisa to #3, Bartkowski to #5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad