Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Jordan Subban to ELC (Pt. 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Added some commentary

Edler - Good
Tanev - Very good
Hamhuis - Good
Bieksa - Crap
Sbisa - Complete Crap

Weber (RFA) - OK in limited role
Clendening (RFA) - crap to OK in limited role
Corrado (RFA) - OK in limited role
Stanton (RFA) - OK in limited role
Sanguinetti (UFA) - career minor leaguer who will stay that way

Biega (UFA) - career minor leaguer who will stay that way
Andersson (RFA) - haven't seen enough
Hutton - pro rookie
Subban -pro rookie
Cederholm - pro rookie

Pedan - developing but concussion concerns
McEneny - pro rookie
McNally - pro rookie or school boy

Canucks need to draft a forward with their pick not D

No the canucks need to draft the best player available. You don't draft for current organizational holes because those holes will be different when the draftee turns pro. Second I see nothing but huge question marks, minimal impact players and undetermined potentials and growth beyond the top 3 D-men. The organization needs D-men. It needs wingers. It needs centers. Every organization does so no matter what way you slice and dice it you draft the best player available.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
It was a little over 2 weeks before the deadline. Again, reason for concern.

Obviously some people get carried away. But that happens with a few people here for everything, both positive and negative.

My bad on the deadline, thought it was just prior to the draft. Given the circumstances I can see some mild concern being legitimate, but not to the degree that was present on these boards. Agree to disagree I guess.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
By definition one prospect will always be signed last. That alone means very little. He was signed 1 1/2 months before the deadline and again after multiple statements of intent from Benning. I see that the 'concern' was more driven by the negative regard for Benning in completely unrelated matters than anything specific or indicative of this negotiations.

As for your comments quoted, certainly those are fair and I wouldn't have any issue with the way in which you voiced your concerns there. However many others (not sayings yours) were disproportionate in their alarm relative to what the situation warranted.

Are people now complaining about the time it takes Benning to get ELCs signed now? Are we really reaching this far to make Benning look like a moron?

Whether Subban signed immediately in 2013 or whether he signed on the last day before he went back into the 2015 draft, the fact is, he is now signed and is a member of the Canucks. The result is the same.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
A thought: is it so crazy of management to want to try him at forward?

He carries the puck like a forward and most of his goals are scored by him going to the net.

I think often what limits smaller forwards now is not so much their size but their reach. But Subban's skills, drive, and speed could make him a very effective winger.

But him jumping up into the rush from the D position makes his forays more dangerous... creates mismatches and coverage confusion from the wingers responsible for picking him up.

He wouldn't have that same advantage when being accounted for as a winger...
As an aggressive Dman, he's able to get lost and jump up into holes vs having to find the same holes cycling...

I think we would be much better off adding that dynamic of offensive awareness to our D than having him learn a completely new position at 20 yrs of age.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
I really like the signing I just hope that he doesn't whine and dive like his older brother

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
Are people now complaining about the time it takes Benning to get ELCs signed now? Are we really reaching this far to make Benning look like a moron?

Whether Subban signed immediately in 2013 or whether he signed on the last day before he went back into the 2015 draft, the fact is, he is now signed and is a member of the Canucks. The result is the same.

Agreed.

He's doing a fine job at that all by himself.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
I'm so relieved. Now we can stop fretting about whether or not Subban will sign an ELC. We can finally move on to fretting about whether or not he'll bust cuz he's small.

He may yet do what 4th rounders typically do and fail to become an NHL regular... but at least he'll be our bust. :sarcasm:

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
If he can get to 195 his size won't be an issue at all.

5-9 195 is a solid build and IMO would allow him to play in almost any situation. Assuming his mobility/agility doesn't suffer.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
I'm so relieved. Now we can stop fretting about whether or not Subban will sign an ELC. We can finally move on to fretting about whether or not he'll bust cuz he's small.

He may yet do what 4th rounders typically do and fail to become an NHL regular... but at least he'll be our bust. :sarcasm:

It will not take long 3 games into the season will be a list of expected ppg totals he needs to meet to not be a bust... And a list of players who scored better

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
It is kind of funny though how the narrative around Benning's negotiations gets twisted to suit each case. Everyone says he's a moron that refuses to negotiate, instead throwing around blank cheques - then he's an idiot for grinding Tanev and Subban with his stupid, hard line negotiations. At least pick one narrative and stick with it.

Benning played hardball with talented players who deserved the money they were asking for.

He handed a blank cheque to players who he should've been hardballing and negociating with.

Of course people will be mad when talented players get snubbed / disrespected and possibly lose interest in playing here.

By the same token, no one would care if we let both Dorsett and Sbisa walk, and in fact that would be preferable to signing them to term way above market value.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Of course people will be mad when talented players get snubbed / disrespected and possibly lose interest in playing here.

Imagine how mad people would be if there was a shred of evidence that this actually happened!

The distorted lens is the problem here. Nothing more.

Remember when that idiot Benning didn't even know who Ben Hutton was! Oops.

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
Imagine how mad people would be if there was a shred of evidence that this actually happened!

The distorted lens is the problem here. Nothing more.

Remember when that idiot Benning didn't even know who Ben Hutton was! Oops.

Sigh.....there is so much truth in what you say.....one person writes crap like that, others take it as gospel, and because benning " talks funny" coupled with fantasy like you quoted, and this forum dissolves into stupid. Sometimes I just shake my head in wonder. I don't come here nearly as often as I used to because of all the nonsense spouted here. Usually I go to the comets thread, which I hear excellent Utica posters are now avoiding because of the same stupidness. Sad really.....

I think we all have to remember here that Benning has been in the east a lot and is still learning about the Canucks and there assets. I think after this pre-season/camp he will have a better idea of what the prospects are capable of and take it from there. Hopefully there isn't any mono or some BS and we can see all the young guys play. I think there is going to be a lot of competition for spots and surprises as well.

Cassels, Gaunce, McCann maybe Virtanen and Shinkaruk will all be fighting for spots. Baertschi will be given opportunity.

Shinkaruk could go for another year of AHL to keep building on his development. Virtanen I feel sorry he has to deal with that stupid coach in Calgary. Hutton should get a feel for the AHL. But anyways I think this will be a competitive pre-season. I thought Biega played well when he was called up, he had a physical presence too. But like they Pizza > Biega.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
You realize he didn't sign 3 of those players, right?

he brought them in and even went so far as to say he wants to show Baertschi "some love"... like really? The narrative we want to push is Benning doesn't like skilled players? Bonino, Vey, Baertschi, Clendenning, Vrbata....I don't think I saw one of these guys throw a hit all season.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
he brought them in and even went so far as to say he wants to show Baertschi "some love"... like really? The narrative we want to push is Benning doesn't like skilled players? Bonino, Vey, Baertschi, Clendenning, Vrbata....I don't think I saw one of these guys throw a hit all season.

The narrative is that he overvalues big gritty players, not that he thinks skilled plays are trash. There is a pretty big difference and based on the contracts he's given out it seems pretty accurate.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
The narrative is that he overvalues big gritty players, not that he thinks skilled plays are trash. There is a pretty big difference and based on the contracts he's given out it seems pretty accurate.

Don't forget the narrative that he overvalued slight, skilled guys and overpaid for them - Vey and Baertschi.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013

which big gritty players has he over-valued? Kassian's all but been chased out of town, Mathias has his bags packed, etc etc...

this is a true example of a false narrative.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Skilled = doesn't throw hits

Okay.

Bennings brought in a higher ratio of no hitters than Gillis did.

Bonino Vey Clendenning Baertschi Vrbata are all skilled players who aren't physical or gritty.

Sbisa and Dorsett are the two acquisitions with a bit of sandpaper.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Benning brought his guard dogs of Sbisa and Dorsett

Dorsett is the Chihuahua, Sbisa is a Dachshund

That'll scare off the bad people. Meanwhile he's shopping Kassian the Doberman because he isn't active in scrums.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad