Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Guillaume Brisebois to ELC

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
i wouldnt trust my own impressions so every report would be something like "he looked like a great skater but theres a high chance bias blahblah"

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
anyways the way he's described there, why doesnt he do everything really well? his skating, iq, defensive ability, and excellent vision should lead to ****tons of goals or something???? i mean thats a lot of superlatives to describe a third round pick thats been somewhere been mediocre and ok

Nov 1, 2011
Best defenseman in the WHL.

Are you kidding?

Edler was a brain dead defenseman that piled up points in his junior year.

He was supposed to play a lot at the WJHC but instead was benched by team Sweden.

Skriko

Jul 27, 2014
He was supposed to play a lot at the WJHC but instead was benched by team Sweden.
Yeah, he was Sweden 6-7 defenseman in that tournament. And Sweden even had up to avarage defense there. Their top 4 was clear; Anton Strålman-Oscar Hedman and Niklas Andersson-Tobias Viklund. Then they have never drafted defensemans Tommy Wargh (who wasn't later in his career good enough even to SM-Liiga) and Petter Ullman (who finished his career quickly). And Edler.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
anyways the way he's described there, why doesnt he do everything really well? his skating, iq, defensive ability, and excellent vision should lead to ****tons of goals or something???? i mean thats a lot of superlatives to describe a third round pick thats been somewhere been mediocre and ok

You gotta wonder what that scout has written up for other players. You can put a positive spin on almost any prospect to make them seem like they have great potential.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

He plays on one of the worst teams in the league. But after a slow start he has put up some goals and points.

GreatSaveLuongo

May 4, 2009
Must have been a "character" guy with "meat and potatoes". Good prospect or not at least we will have some healthy bodies to fill Ultica or Nucks rosters.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Are you kidding?

Edler was a brain dead defenseman that piled up points in his junior year.

Was a he better prospect than Hutton?

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary

Probably the same reason Chris Tanev isn't very productive, even though he possesses all those same traits. He's a defensive defenseman that doesn't take many risks, while lacking the big shot you need to score many goals.

It takes about 5 minutes of watching this kid play to see why he was projected to go so high in the draft - in the middle of the 2nd Rd. Just a terrific feel for the game, nice mobility and enough puck skills to keep himself out of danger at all times. Has all the tools you need to be a quality defensive player at the pro level.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I don't have a huge problem with this, as it's very likely he would have been signed eventually anyway.

But yeah, it is really early to be signing a mid-round pick who hasn't had a great year in junior. Not sure what the rush was or why this couldn't be done next summer.

As for Edler, he was a 'good' prospect in the WHL but not considered a 'great' one. His season in 06-07 where he blew through the AHL and up to the NHL was a considerable surprise.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014

Man your negativity just never takes a day off or a thread off.

Brisebois is showing progress in his offensive game. He has scored more goals already this year than he did last year, a couple of highlight variety which showed that the player has some skill. He is tracking to be an intelligent 2 way defenceman that could play in top 4. Kid is still 18 years old.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
He plays on one of the worst teams in the league. But after a slow start he has put up some goals and points.

His team is a little better this year, but last year was likely the worst team in junior hockey. He is the only prospect on the team Pretty character building circumstances and he was captain at 17.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Benning is such a big believer in motivation or whatever (he had a quote about how Pedan was changed when he went back to Utica after experiencing that one game at forward) that I assume this was done now to push the kid.

Meh. Can't fault Benning for treating these kids like humans rather than just assets.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Obligatory Brisebois pre-draft "highlight" video

:laugh:

Love the super slow motion whiff on the slap shot.

Seriously though, he is showing pretty good year on year improvement and having the C as a defenseman at 17 speaks volumes for his character and leadership.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Obligatory Brisebois pre-draft "highlight" video

:laugh:

Find it sad I have to say this first, but i still have no clue about him, and this is not suppose to be a shot at him.

But that had to be one of the worst "highlight" type videos ever, it showed nothing he can or can't do.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
I dont know if anyone of you guys actually have expecations of Brisebois to be a legitimate dman in the NHL. This is a player thats almost impossible to project, i dont know if anyone knows much about him.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Probably the same reason Chris Tanev isn't very productive, even though he possesses all those same traits. He's a defensive defenseman that doesn't take many risks, while lacking the big shot you need to score many goals.

It takes about 5 minutes of watching this kid play to see why he was projected to go so high in the draft - in the middle of the 2nd Rd. Just a terrific feel for the game, nice mobility and enough puck skills to keep himself out of danger at all times. Has all the tools you need to be a quality defensive player at the pro level.

there's one chris tanev in the entire nhl, but uh, this guy is chris tanev but with a better shot. says so right in the scouting log. so why isnt he better

SaltyKesler

Sep 3, 2015
Vancity
I honestly don't know much about him. 4 goals, 8 assists for 12 points in 28 games this year. -10. Last year he was a shocking -40 (by far worst on his team).

I'll defer to those who know more about him, but I've never been a fan of this prospect.

He's playing a bottom feeder in the Q, I wouldn't refer to +/- as a complete arguement

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
+/- isnt a reasonable thing to bring up at all. especially in this case, its meaningless

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I dont know if anyone of you guys actually have expecations of Brisebois to be a legitimate dman in the NHL. This is a player thats almost impossible to project, i dont know if anyone knows much about him.

Again, Brisbois isn't some obscure prospect. He was a top 5 pick in his QMJHL draft, played for Canada in the u17s, u18s, hlinka. Played for QMJHL against Russia. Was in the top prospects game. Was ranked 30th in css na midterm rankings and ended up ranked 41st (ahead of Roy).

I dont see how he's any harder to project than most others. The talent is there and he's likely going to complete his CHL eligibility and start his pro career in the minors.

SaltyKesler

Sep 3, 2015
Vancity
i bolded the things that matter

thats a lot of useless fluff. that scout sucks

It's not that scouts just write, strong shot, great skating, all the typical scouty things, the scouts have to pick apart the intangibles and little things a player does, if you bolded a scout claiming a player is the next best thing, but ignore the part where it says very lazy at defensive part of the game, that's not useless

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad