Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Guillaume Brisebois to ELC

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I liked this pick from the beginning. His scouting report sounds similar to that of Tanev. Not offensively productive despite his skills, not overly physical, but very good positionally and a quick and smart puck over. He was highly regarded coming from midget and was a mid 2nd round pick to 3rd round pick for most scouts. Playing for one of the worst teams in the league hurt his numbers.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
If we are "rewarding" prospects with early NHL contracts I think there are a couple other defenseman prospects that are a bit more deserving. Tate Oslon and Carl Neil

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
I like him. He has a lot of pro qualities. Don't look at the stats. Typical for this board to be negative on something like this.

Absolutely fashionable to be negative.

I don't mind the prospect. Throw the plus minus out the window, he has played on one of the worst teams in junior hockey and is the only decent prospect on it.

Good skater, 2 way guy, seems to be adding some offensive flair to his game and has scored a couple highlight reel goals. McKenzie had him ranked in the 2nd round, we got him in the 3rd. Lets give the kid a chance and not trash all players before they are 20 years old.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
It's a prospect. Not a big deal. Might be good might be bad no idea at this point. This isn't Stewart.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Absolutely fashionable to be negative.

I don't mind the prospect. Throw the plus minus out the window, he has played on one of the worst teams in junior hockey and is the only decent prospect on it.

Good skater, 2 way guy, seems to be adding some offensive flair to his game and has scored a couple highlight reel goals. McKenzie had him ranked in the 2nd round, we got him in the 3rd. Lets give the kid a chance and not trash all players before they are 20 years old.

I have no idea how he is as a prospect, I haven't seen him. However, the side trashing the signing for the most part is not doing so as they don't think he is good at all, its sounds like a why bother right now. Why waste the contract spot when we have lots of time.

Again I don't know enough about him to judge either way for myself so I will try to stay out of it for the most part.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I don't have much faith in our Q scouts in general, who was the last pick we had make the NHL out of the Q? Compared to the Stewart signing though this is fine, but still I don't see the harm in waiting. Lots of benefits in waiting, can't see a lot of negatives.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
[mod]
It doesn't count as a contract slot until he plays 10 NHL games in a season. Until then it slides.

Leafs, Bruins, Predators and Stars are run by idiots too as they have already signed non-1st round picks from the 2015 draft...

Signing these guys now means you can structure their contracts the way you want to. If they get better, you eventually have to sign them to more guaranteed deals. For instance, whenever Brisebois' first year happens, he will make 660K, with the potential to reach the maximum ELC with performance bonuses. If he has a excellent season next year his contract would have to be more guaranteed, less performance based. For instance, Hunter Shinkaruk's ELC for instance (ignoring the round they were picked in because we just need an example here), can be worth up to 3.4 million and be a cap hit of 863K, Brisebois' contract can max out at 2.7 million in value and a 734K cap hit.

It's not a huge difference, but there are reasons teams do this and it's not because they don't understand the CBA or something.

You're also rewarding kids for development and good play. Brisebois has by all accounts improved his play lately and who knows, maybe he reached some goals the organization had for him. 92K in a kid's pocket is pretty good motivation to do what the organization asks you to.

There is very little chance this hurts the team in any way and they are simply banking on him improving a lot over the next couple years. Let's hope their right, the contract isn't going to hurt us.

Last edited by a moderator:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Like I said. This was a highly regarded prospect that some had as a potential 2nd round pick including Benning. The trend is to lock up high draft picks early and yes considering the draft picks traded away a 3rd rounder is high for the Canucks.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
What did Brisebois do to earn a contract so early? Im not bashing the player bc i dont know that much about him.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Best defenseman in the WHL.

Brisebois doesn't play anything like Edler at all. Closest thing we have to Edler in our prospect pool is Olson.

Actually, Tryamkin is probably closer to Edler than anyone....believe he was one of the best d-men on a Russian team that won the WJC one year....remember they dominated Canada in one of the semi-final games....obviously Brisebois, Olson or Neill aren't going to get anywhere near the WJC squad.

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
To be fair, our scouting and drafting has been better under JB & Co.

Its still way to early to tell.

The only pick he has made with Van, that is making any NHL impact, is McCann.

He fell into their laps with that late first, and that is all so far on the positive ledger.

Virtanen was the safe pick at 6th. But it was not a coup by any stretch.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
its an interesting signing. there's really only one reasonable reaction and that is "this signing is earlier than it should be". in a practical sense, it probably doesnt mean much as the chances of signing him are quite high, but to look at the list of unsurprising posters that can't even pay lipservice to this concept just reinforces my opinion of their opinions

Ace101

Apr 2, 2014
Isn't he projected to be Edler 2.0?

Big frame, good shot and mobile. Not sure about his physicality though.

From what I've seen off scouting reports and others opinions his shot isn't exceptional it's okay. He's got a good poke check and has good gap control though. Could end up being a good second pairing guy.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
From what I've seen off scouting reports and others opinions his shot isn't exceptional it's okay. He's got a good poke check and has good gap control though. Could end up being a good second pairing guy.

Good to know. I am basing it off of the prospects game mainly and he looked very good positionally. Granted, he was playing with other prospects, but looked like one of our better projects.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Here is one scout on Brisebois. I think he will turn out to be a decent player. Has been Captain of his team for 2 years already and just turned 18

"Guillaume Brisebois is a passionate two-way defenseman who takes a very student-like approach to the game. For many players, it takes them a shift or two to “wake up†and get the ball rolling. The unique thing about this defenseman is that he’s always alert and ready to make a play, right from the get-go. He forces things to happen, and is a catalyst for positive plays at both ends of the ice. Under pressure, he calm and poised, focusing on his own game rather than what is going through other players’ minds. He is an excellent skater with a high level of hockey sense, and he realizes his role in all situations. He has great vision and has a deceptively strong shot that he must use more often. All-in-all, an intelligent two-way defenseman that plays with a lot of eagerness and hunger."

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Here is one scout on Brisebois. I think he will turn out to be a decent player. Has been Captain of his team for 2 years already and just turned 18

"Guillaume Brisebois is a passionate two-way defenseman who takes a very student-like approach to the game. For many players, it takes them a shift or two to “wake up†and get the ball rolling. The unique thing about this defenseman is that he’s always alert and ready to make a play, right from the get-go. He forces things to happen, and is a catalyst for positive plays at both ends of the ice. Under pressure, he calm and poised, focusing on his own game rather than what is going through other players’ minds. He is an excellent skater with a high level of hockey sense, and he realizes his role in all situations. He has great vision and has a deceptively strong shot that he must use more often. All-in-all, an intelligent two-way defenseman that plays with a lot of eagerness and hunger."

i bolded the things that matter

thats a lot of useless fluff. that scout sucks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad