Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Elias Pettersson (D-Petey) to 3-Year ELC

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
However a lot of swedes have an out to go back to the SHL instead of the AHL.

Kind of. NHL contracts do not have any sort of out clauses the way other leagues do. What they can do is have a mutual agreement to loan the player to the club of their choice.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
How will the commentators deal with this I wonder?

It's gonna be like...Pettersson to Pettersson, back to Petterson, and cycling to Pettersson again and Pettersson SCORES!!! Wow what a shot!

Everyone listening:
what-huh.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Indiana

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Kind of. NHL contracts do not have any sort of out clauses the way other leagues do. What they can do is have a mutual agreement to loan the player to the club of their choice.
General question. ELC pays something like $70K in the AHL. What would he likely make in the SHL?

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
How will the commentators deal with this I wonder?

It's gonna be like...Pettersson to Pettersson, back to Petterson, and cycling to Pettersson again and Pettersson SCORES!!! Wow what a shot!

Everyone listening:
what-huh.gif
I hope Pettersson can cycle with Pettersson like that.

Reactions: Indiana

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
That's something I've never thought about.

According to this website, the average SHL salary is $110K. This article has it around the same number but breaks it down monthly.
Thanks. I suspect younger players likely make less than the average. So its probably a saw off cash wise. And being able to get a call up where you make 10 x that amount probably makes playing in the AHL more attractive.

Edit - and no idea what the tax situations are for hockey players, but I suspect in general taxes are even higher in Sweden than in Vancouver.

Reactions: Indiana and MarkMM

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Thanks. I suspect younger players likely make less than the average. So its probably a saw off cash wise. And being able to get a call up where you make 10 x that amount probably makes playing in the AHL more attractive.

Edit - and no idea what the tax situations are for hockey players, but I suspect in general taxes are even higher in Sweden than in Vancouver.
Yeah taxes are very hard to pin down for those of us that don't live there. Choosing between AHL and SHL definitely has a lot to do with proximity to making the NHL vs comfort level. Less and shorter travel while being close to home and making decently similar money is very appealing and kind of only worth it when the player believes they are close to making the NHL.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Taxes are much higher in Sweden ~52% for most.

Also worth noting that NHL salaries are paid in US dollars
If you looked at the article Vector posted, all salaries were in US $. And I assume 52% is the maximum rate, not what the average person pays on their entire salary.

Edit - okay, found this:

If you make the median salary in Stockholm, your effective tax rate—the actual deduction on every payslip—is 21%. For this, you get free healthcare, free college tuition for your kids, a pension you can survive on, a welfare system that holds you up if you fall on hard times, 18 months of paid parental leave, subsidised daycare for children, no messing with “sick days” (if you’re ill, you just stay home at 80% of your regular salary)… the list goes on.

Elsewhere I found something that said the maximum tax rate is 57%. Most people accept that taxes are fair price to pay for civilized living conditions like free health care etc. Glad I left the US when I did.

Last edited:

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I think D-Petey is exactly the kind of prospect who benefits from playing in the AHL.

Also he should thrive there rather quick. He plays NA style of game as it is. Adjusting for more physical opponents and smaller rink and the Canuck system should be what he needs. AND now that Trent Cull is no longer there it should be a place prospects want to go to to develop. Even those who are a long shot to make it in the NHL.

With D-EP I would be shocked if he declines playing in the AHL should the organization see it best for him.

They might want to keep him in SHL for next year. But I doubt he would bolt if AHL was suggested.

Frostage

May 23, 2014
If you looked at the article Vector posted, all salaries were in US $. And I assume 52% is the maximum rate, not what the average person pays on their entire salary.

Edit - okay, found this:

If you make the median salary in Stockholm, your effective tax rate—the actual deduction on every payslip—is 21%. For this, you get free healthcare, free college tuition for your kids, a pension you can survive on, a welfare system that holds you up if you fall on hard times, 18 months of paid parental leave, subsidised daycare for children, no messing with “sick days” (if you’re ill, you just stay home at 80% of your regular salary)… the list goes on.

Elsewhere I found something that said the maximum tax rate is 57%. Most people accept that taxes are fair price to pay for civilized living conditions like free health care etc. Glad I left the US when I did.

Yes but players in Sweden are paid in Kronor, not USD. I mentioned it because depending on the exchange rate that means you could be getting ~20% more if you live in Canada but are receiving USD.

For Swedish tax rates
Per Wikipedia

7% on incomes just above 20,008 kronor to 60.1% on incomes above 675,700 kronor.[4] For an average salary, on an additional pay of 100 kronor, the employee first pays 32 kronor in income tax (direct, 32%).

For incomes over 537,200 = ~70,500 CAD the tax rate is ~52% (32% average municipality income tax + 20% state income tax)

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Yes but players in Sweden are paid in Kronor, not USD. I mentioned it because depending on the exchange rate that means you could be getting ~20% more if you live in Canada but are receiving USD.

For Swedish tax rates
Per Wikipedia

7% on incomes just above 20,008 kronor to 60.1% on incomes above 675,700 kronor.[4] For an average salary, on an additional pay of 100 kronor, the employee first pays 32 kronor in income tax (direct, 32%).

For incomes over 537,200 = ~70,500 CAD the tax rate is ~52% (32% average municipality income tax + 20% state income tax)
Too lazy to do the complete math, but it seems that there is not that much difference in net income between AHL in Canada, and a young player in the SHL. A lot would come down to the comfort zone of leaving "home", how much of the day to day expenses are picked up by the team and the chance that a player might get some NHL games in, where they make a ton more money.

It also depends I guess on the family situation, whether or not that family is well off, and if you have a girlfriend. (or boyfriend, I suppose, though never heard of a hockey player mentioning that).

Reactions: Frostage

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
How come he only played 4 SHL games this year vs 43 games last year. Even as an 18 year old he played more games in the SHL. It makes it look like he has regressed.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
How come he only played 4 SHL games this year vs 43 games last year. Even as an 18 year old he played more games in the SHL. It makes it look like he has regressed.
He wasn’t getting much ice time, some games he would simply dress but not play at all. Everyone in his camp believed a loan to place that had an opening for a regular defenseman was the best thing for him.

I’m glad we get to see him as early as next week. I wonder if they use his middle name which is Nils to differentiate between him and EP40. Don’t think I’ve ever seen players with the exact same first and last name on the same team in pro sports.

Reactions: logan5

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
He wasn’t getting much ice time, some games he would simply dress but not play at all. Everyone in his camp believed a loan to place that had an opening for a regular defenseman was the best thing for him.

I’m glad we get to see him as early as next week. I wonder if they use his middle name which is Nils to differentiate between him and EP40. Don’t think I’ve ever seen players with the exact same first and last name on the same team in pro sports.

The Canucks actually had both Greg Adams on the team for part of the 1988-89 season. They played 2 games together, April 1 and 2, 1989, a home and home against the Kings. Both scored a goal on April 1.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
The Canucks actually had both Greg Adams on the team for part of the 1988-89 season. They played 2 games together, April 1 and 2, 1989, a home and home against the Kings. Both scored a goal on April 1.
They played 7 playoff games together as well. Otto kicked it in. Thought they played more than two regular season games together as Greg C Adams appareared in a dozen regular season games. Maybe Gus got hurt and missed ten games and then suited up for the playoffs?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad