GDT: Canucks Season-End Media Availability with Jim Benning, Travis Green

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diogenes92

Dec 13, 2014
North Vancouver
If you think about it, Benning basically said he plans to do a retool on the fly and give this core a chance to compete for a cup within 2 years.

So rinse and repeat after 7 years. He talked tough in 2014 and said he would retool on the fly and build a Stanley Cup contender within a couple years. Failed. Started a half-assed rebuild with a bunch of bloated contracts that didn't actually fit a rebuild. Oversaw one of the worst stretches in Canucks history.

He didn't want to build a losing culture for the young players...but look at the win % since he became GM. It's exactly what he has done.

This is basically going to equate to wasting two quality years of the core before they finally fire JB and start a proper rebuild.

So buckle in for the long haul everybody. This is going to be painful.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I'd be willing to bet a significant amount of money that unless they win the lottery, they're going to trade it.

I don't think it's a bad idea either.

How much salary can a top ten pick shed? Could you shed Myers, Eriksson, and Roussel for example?

If they suck next year, players are going to ask out and we're going to enter a 5 year rebuild lmao

I think trading away the 1st this year is going to be a terrible idea. The cupboards are already empty, not having a first this year and last year is going to hurt us big time like 3 years down the road when Hughes and Petey gets off their bridge deal. There would be no ELC players coming in to help support the team and the team will be as tight as it can be against the cap.

Bo and Miller will be out of their prime in like 2 years and it’s not going to be really worth it to extend those guys when their contracts are up. But the idiots in charge won’t care because their jobs are on the line and all they care is playoffs next year.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I think trading away the 1st this year is going to be a terrible idea. The cupboards are already empty, not having a first this year and last year is going to hurt us big time like 3 years down the road when Hughes and Petey gets off their bridge deal. There would be no ELC players coming in to help support the team and the team will be as tight as it can be against the cap.

Bo and Miller will be out of their prime in like 2 years and it’s not going to be really worth it to extend those guys when their contracts are up. But the idiots in charge won’t care because their jobs are on the line and all they care is playoffs next year.
We are damned if we do, damned if we don't.

Cupboards are stupid bare but if we don't make the playoffs, our immediate window is dead because players will want out if they don't already.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

Cupboards are stupid bare but if we don't make the playoffs, our immediate window is dead because players will want out if they don't already.

I think it’s better to try to build up to the window at the last year of Petey and Hughes bridge…. I think what they are doing now will end up pushing Hughes and Petey to look for a short term deal at the end of the bridge that will take them to UFA.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

I think something that needs to be pointed out is that the team we have now is bottom 10 in offense and defense and we are not at the bottom purely because of goaltending..
It’s going to be tremendously difficult to improve the team in one off season while losing the goalie coach that made goaltending strong.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
I thought one of the concerning things from the press conference was how much emphasis Jim puts on just making the playoffs. He seems to think that if you make the playoffs then you are in the tournament and anything can happen. That suggests that Nashville or Florida have the same chance as Colorado or Tampa Bay, teams with better rosters. Not saying upsets never happen but that is not a strategy.

He also suggests that as the young players play in the playoffs they will automatically grow from the experience and that will make the difference in contending for the Cup. It is far from that simple. He makes no mention of roster construction, actually builing a good, deep roster that actually stacks up against the best teams and has a legitimate chance to consistantly win games and series.

He comes across as a such a simpleton.

Reactions: arttk

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
Then let's hope for a few more Schmidt's and Hamonic's. ;)

Kidding aside, I realize the past mistakes are unreconcilable for many. An example being the next post;

Well if we're doomed no matter what... then we're doomed no matter what. Not much more to add to this. Though I get where you're coming from
Well they could fire the current mgmt team and hire competent people.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
The team isn't actually that far from a playoff team. Replace Sutter with a legitimate 3rd line center (let's say Haula) and tread water (ie, don't get worse) in other positions and the expectation should be to make playoffs.

By buying out dead weight, the team can afford to do that, hopefully without giving much term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad