GDT: Canucks Season-End Media Availability with Jim Benning, Travis Green

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I actually came away from the press conference feeling better than I have the last while, I know that's probably an unpopular view.

I like that they put a massive emphasis on needing to improve the lineup around the core right away, specifically with speed & scoring - not the kind of players they have targetted in the past. I think their analysis regarding what's needed is correct.

The core is good right now, they need to be surrounded well enough that they have a chance to be a consistent playoff team and grow as a group from there. While the moves made have to fit in with the long term view, it is time to be 'aggressive'. That's the next step for our team.

Now whether they can execute that is the question. The past hasn't instilled alot of confidence, but there has been a few better moves lately, so we'll see.

Whether they can find the right targets at the right price is the big question. Understandably the being aggressive has people nervous b/c of past moves.

Whatever route they go, it'll require finding targets that won't cost a premium. Either in UFA - ala Hamonic, Haula, exc. (Flat cap should help). Or adventageous situations for trade (ala Schmidt), as we don't have alot of top quality expendable assets.
Agreed, I thought both Green and Benning held up very well considering, (I think everybody expected them to get skewered)..Their main focus is to get the right complimentary players this off season, and Benning did not sound 'vague' as to his plan..Hopefully, he can execute.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
FYI, when Benning started, his goal was to make the team faster, more skilled and tougher. So I am not sure what changed regarding that, they are just god awful at figuring out what those terms mean. Sutter, Bartowski, was their attempt to get faster.

Like what they said sounds better but the thing with this management group has always been execution. Imagine the damage if they identify like the wrong player again and give him a big ass contract and create another anchor….

I see the name Risto and that is just f***ing scary.

It seemed much more pointed and in line with an ideal plan of improvement this time around (meaning how the market would draw it up) this time around, even if Benning didn't articulate it perfectly which obviously isn't his strength. I don't recall feeling that way in the past.

From ownerships statement through to Benning's apperance on 650, yesterday felt like a re-committment from the whole organization to getting back on track.

Now like you say, it's comes down to the execution - which I'm not arguing isn't the sticking point. There has been horrible execution in the past.

Considering that they really believe in the core, and believe in the rising young players coming to add to it (Rathbone, Pod, Hog). I don't think they'll do anything to jeopardize the security of the young players long term (adding more horrific long term contracts, preventing them from keeping young players). Combined with the flat cap limiting leverage of middling UFA's will be adventageous for a group that's shown a willingness to overpay for those types.

Now that optimism could be quickly dashed if they make some stupid mistakes, which is definitely possible, but I have a bit different feeling from the organization right now. Maybe I'm just being overly hopeful.

Edit: also is this Ristolanien thing just speculation or did a credible source float this idea???

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Then let's hope for a few more Schmidt's and Hamonic's. ;)

Kidding aside, I realize the past mistakes are unreconcilable for many. An example being the next post;

Well if we're doomed no matter what... then we're doomed no matter what. Not much more to add to this. Though I get where you're coming from

Benning has to go.

His proclamation is little more than a roasted turkey daring a room full of diners with knives in hands to eat him.

We're very very very f***ed.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Same old stuff from Benning really.

Unfortunately 7 years has proven he cannot execute any well thought out plan or results. No reason to see that changing.

If anything many feel only fear of what bad, crippling moves he will make now that he is really under the gun and thinking short term to save his job. I cant imagine a worse scenario than what we have.

Reactions: hookshott

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
FYI, when Benning started, his goal was to make the team faster, more skilled and tougher. So I am not sure what changed regarding that, they are just god awful at figuring out what those terms mean. Sutter, Bartowski, was their attempt to get faster.

Like what they said sounds better but the thing with this management group has always been execution. Imagine the damage if they identify like the wrong player again and give him a big ass contract and create another anchor….

I see the name Risto and that is just f***ing scary.

I've reached the conclusion the Benning is a mimic-GM.

By that I mean he simply mimics the things that other GMs say and do in the misguided belief that this is enough to be a successful GM.

"Other GMs sign FAs, so I'll sign some too! Other GMs make trades, so I'll do that too! Other GMs talk about building through the draft, so I'll say that too!"

There's no depth of thought, no foresight, no concept of planning for the future.

Benning's GMing kinda reminds me of Alex Moffat's portrayal of Eric Trump on SNL.

Reactions: arttk

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Same old stuff from Benning really.

Unfortunately 7 years has proven he cannot execute any well thought out plan or results. No reason to see that changing.

If anything many feel only fear of what bad, crippling moves he will make now that he is really under the gun and thinking short term to save his job. I cant imagine a worse scenario than what we have.

The way I see it right now, he's going to mortgage the future to try and salvage his job, its his only way out. I think he'll get us into the playoffs next year, but its only futher preserve his job rather than build a true contender.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri

It’s because they believe team speed = fast skaters. But it doesn’t. Being able to keep up is a portion of team speed but not the major part. You could have a team of Virtanen’s and it would be a slow team.

You need IQ, positioning, quick and good decision making, and a proper system that supports both the forwards and D-men.

The coaching staff lacks the system. The bulk of the players lack the other things.

Reactions: racerjoe and timw33

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
The way I see it right now, he's going to mortgage the future to try and salvage his job, its his only way out. I think he'll get us into the playoffs next year, but its only futher preserve his job rather than build a true contender.
So you think that Benning will get the Canucks into the playoffs, but the building will be empty?..:huh:

Reactions: RussianRacket

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
It seemed much more pointed and in line with an ideal plan of improvement this time around (meaning how the market would draw it up) this time around, even if Benning didn't articulate it perfectly which obviously isn't his strength. I don't recall feeling that way in the past.

From ownerships statement through to Benning's apperance on 650, yesterday felt like a re-committment from the whole organization to getting back on track.

Now like you say, it's comes down to the execution - which I'm not arguing isn't the sticking point. There has been horrible execution in the past.

Considering that they really believe in the core, and believe in the rising young players coming to add to it (Rathbone, Pod, Hog). I don't think they'll do anything to jeopardize the security of the young players long term (adding more horrific long term contracts, preventing them from keeping young players). Combined with the flat cap limiting leverage of middling UFA's will be adventageous for a group that's shown a willingness to overpay for those types.

Now that optimism could be quickly dashed if they make some stupid mistakes, which is definitely possible, but I have a bit different feeling from the organization right now. Maybe I'm just being overly hopeful.

Edit: also is this Ristolanien thing just speculation or did a credible source float this idea???

So they said they are targeting speed and skill and veteran leadership and let me remind you that they just recently re-signed Pearson who is neither fast or skilled and at a number that makes no freaking sense since he is at best a 3rd line winger who can fill into the top6 when injuries hit.
I mean that signing is no surprise to anyone that has followed all the things Benning does so there really is no evidence that would make you think that Benning would now suddenly make only shrewd signings and be able to execute on his plan when his last signing didn’t accomplish anything listed on his plan except for veteran leadership…

My biggest worry is Benning throwing next or this years draft away to get players that are either not worth it or are cap anchors that will make a 2nd rebuild inevitable.

I think risto just seems like an obvious Benning choice. Lots of tools, address an obvious area of concern and wants out of Buffalo so trade talks won’t be as hard since you are not trying to convince Buffalo to give up a player they don’t want to trade away.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
So they said they are targeting speed and skill and veteran leadership and let me remind you that they just recently re-signed Pearson who is neither fast or skilled and at a number that makes no freaking sense since he is at best a 3rd line winger who can fill into the top6 when injuries hit.
I mean that signing is no surprise to anyone that has followed all the things Benning does so there really is no evidence that would make you think that Benning would now suddenly make only shrewd signings and be able to execute on his plan when his last signing didn’t accomplish anything listed on his plan except for veteran leadership…

My biggest worry is Benning throwing next or this years draft away to get players that are either not worth it or are cap anchors that will make a 2nd rebuild inevitable.

I think risto just seems like an obvious Benning choice. Lots of tools, address an obvious area of concern and wants out of Buffalo so trade talks won’t be as hard since you are not trying to convince Buffalo to give up a player they don’t want to trade away.
Would a risto for Schmidt deal make any sense? And/or making it a bigger one by getting reinhart too?

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Would a risto for Schmidt deal make any sense? And/or making it a bigger one by getting reinhart too?
I don’t think it make sense for Buffalo… in order for it to make sense for Buffalo, we will need to add futures and I don’t see the D being better swapping the 2 defenders. Schmidt is not the problem right now, the problem is we lack an actual top4 RD after Schmidt that doesn’t need handholding like Myers does. Is there really that much difference between

Hughes - Hamonic
Edler - Schmidt
Benn/Juolevi - Myers

Hughes - Hamonic
Ratbone - risto
Edler / Juolevi - Myers

We are bottom 10 right now so does that change make this into a playoff level D? I don’t see it.

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
Hamonic's best years are behind him. Still good depth but not someone you want holding Hughes hands playing major minutes.
Ideally you would hope hughes would be able to figure out how to not need to be hand held. Especially if he and others view him as a #1 or even #2. Looking at literally every true #1 can do both, but hughes has shown he cant.
Course the muppets who think he is will come at me with Karlsson's undeserved Norris.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Just when you think you’ve heard every crazy Benning excuse imaginable, along comes ‘You shouldn’t criticize Benning because you should just be happy you aren’t being exploited by the Czar working on a fief in 19th-century Russia’.

Hahahah oh man.

Yeah. Mental gymnastics required to stay loyal to Jim...

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory
Just when you think you’ve heard every crazy Benning excuse imaginable, along comes ‘You shouldn’t criticize Benning because you should just be happy you aren’t being exploited by the Czar working on a fief in 19th-century Russia’.
Please speak more respectfully to or about me.

All I am saying is that a physical protest of a hockey team would not be a good look considering everything else ongoing in the world right now, and would be a shame in the long history of organized protesting.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Please speak more respectfully to or about me.

All I am saying is that a physical protest of a hockey team would not be a good look considering everything else ongoing in the world right now, and would be a shame in the long history of organized protesting.

Should the team that wins the Cup celebrate? You know...considering everything else going on in the world?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad