Recalled/Assigned: Canucks recall Joacim Eriksson

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
These 2 guys are NHL bound goalies. Why else would we have them in our system?

Did Eriksson not win the SEL last year?

Luongo may not only lose his job with Team Canada, but the Canucks.

Uh oh Luongo!

cc

Feb 28, 2002
why exactly did the flyers let him go?

I suspect they had a lot of goalie prospects as goaltending was a focal point for the organization. And since Ericksson was just a 7th pick, I think he ranked lower in the totem pole and they chose not to sign him.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
How many NHL games did the goalies that played in the first ever NHL game have?

They would have had experience in the National Hockey Association, as 4 of the teams made the jump to the new league. There was also the WCHL which competed against the NHL for the Stanley cup when it was still a challenge cup. The NHL didn't yet have a monopoly on being the premier league in North America.

That said, I doubt we are setting an inexperience record here.

Wetcoaster

why exactly did the flyers let him go?
The Flyers drafted him in 2008 but decided not to sign him by to an ELC by June 1, 2011 and they lost his rights as he became a free agent.

We all know how good the Flyers are at judging goaltender talent - almost "Burkie Bad", eh?

In the 2011-12 season he put up phenomenal numbers in the SEL. Eriksson experienced a breakthrough season as the established starter for Skelleftea of the SEL. In 33 games, he posted a stingy 1.73 goals-against average and a gaudy .935 save percentage. In 19 postseason games for that club, Eriksson turned in a 2.20 goals-against average and a .918 save percentage in a run to the SEL championship series where Skelleftea lost to Brynas IF in six games.

Ericksson shared the goaltending duties with veteran Markus Svensson during the regular 2012-13 season. He was 21-9 in 30 games with 5 shutouts and had a 1.70 goals against and .930 save percentage. Skelleftea had the league's best record and won 12 of 13 playoff games to capture the Swedish championship. Eriksson was 10-0 in the playoffs with 3 shutouts and had a 1.06 goals against and .952 save percentage.

And then Vancouver signed him.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
2 swedish goalies on the same team. i think eriksson will get a few starts depends on how long luongo is out for. maybe he'll surprise a few of us. he catches with his right glove correct?

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
I would say there is a huge possibility of him starting against the team that drafted him on Monday

I'd be quite surprised if he got any starts, barring a long-term injury to Luongo. Lack is better known to Torts while Eriksson hasn't earned any trust yet. This is a good opportunity to get Lack some starts and to give Luongo some rest so his start count isn't in the mid-70's by playoff time.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
I'd be quite surprised if he got any starts, barring a long-term injury to Luongo.

Me too. West is too tight, every point is too valuable and we're too close out of a playoff spot to play the "let's see what we have in Eriksson" game.

But like you said.... it really all depends on the length/severity of Luongo's injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad