Recalled/Assigned: Canucks recall Joacim Eriksson

JerkChicken

Jun 18, 2008
South Sound
Looks like Luongo's injury vs. Winnipeg may have been a bit more serious that some of us thought. Time to 'ride the Stork' for a bit.

Brad Ziemer ‏@BradZiemer

Goalie Joacim Eriksson not in Utica lineup for game tonight. Expect that means we'll see him with #Canucks today.

Dan Murphy ‏@sportsnetmurph 4m

Eriksson recall prob not great news re: Luongo

Last edited:

Pseudonymous*

especially not good since luongo already has a weak groin which has forced him to lean (fall) forward alot in the past and change his style

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Anyone ready for another "goalie controversy"? Lack is that good, I think. We'll see in due time if he's ready to be the guy as soon as next year possibly.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Hopefully it heals properly for Lu. We are so screwed if he has injuries that repeatedly comes up, especially his groin.

Lack's been playing great, but it's a whole different animal when you are the #1 in the playoffs in vancouver with all of the media ready to tear into you at any moment.

Anyone ready for another "goalie controversy"? Lack is that good, I think. We'll see in due time if he's ready to be the guy as soon as next year possibly.
We tried to get rid of Lu for pretty much nothing. No one wants him due to his contract and so there will be no goalie controversy this time around. I think Lu is a good enough goalie to win with if he stays healthy. Tortz knows how to handle this situation much better than AV.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
We'll see. Call up makes sense as they need a guy in practice, but it's a bit early to panic about the severity of the injury.

Wetcoaster

especially not good since luongo already has a weak groin which has forced him to lean (fall) forward alot in the past and change his style
Dustin Byfuglien strikes again. :shakehead

And Tortorella on Lack drawing in... What? Me worry???

No one was ready for Luongo’s exit, which came without warning at 16:30 of the opening period and may be due to a slight injury to his right groin, possibly caused by a collision with old nemesis Dustin Byfuglien.

Byfuglien, the Newman to Luongo’s Seinfeld, tripped the goalie with his skate while cutting across the Canuck goalmouth. Luongo was caught afterward by Sportsnet’s cameras stretching his right leg, although he didn’t initially leave the game or seek medical attention.

“Lower body. Day to day,” Canuck coach John Tortorella insisted. Of course, Tortorella said the same thing nearly three weeks ago in Nashville after Alex Edler injured a knee, and the defenceman is now expected to miss 4-to-6 weeks.

But the quiet way in which Luongo left the game suggested his injury is not severe, and whatever he has, it’s coming at the right time as the Canucks have an unheard-of four complete days off over Christmas and six days between games.

Asked how he feels about the possibility of Lack, 6-2 in his NHL career, becoming the fill-in starter, Tortorella said: “Very confident. I say it every day: he’s not afraid of anything. He has prepared himself for this situation and he has played very well for us. I’m not sure where Louie’s going to go here in the next few days, but if it’s Lack, we’re confident in his play.”

Luongo did not speak to reporters after the game.​
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Canucks+edge+Jets+Luongo+injured/9316601/story.html#ixzz2ohO9kZk0

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Can't say I'm really worried at all. I still don't believe much separates Lack and Luongo. Time to find out if that's the case.

Wetcoaster

We should have better idea of what may be going on (or not depending on Tortorella) as there is a media availability after today's practise at 11 am.

Vancouver Canucks ‏@VanCanucks
#Canucks back on the ice today in @RogersArena. Practice coming right up at 11AM, media availability to follow.​

Also it may just indicate that Luongo is just sore and they do not want him on the ice for practise for the next few days hence the call-up.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I'm confident in Lack, and doubtful that Eriksson will see much ice-time, but hopefully Luongo is alright and will be back soon. Not only for our own needs, but also with the Olympics drawing nearer.

Lundface*

Lack will experience his share of lumps and bad games, but this is good for his development.

The talent is there just like it was with Schneider. But even Schneider struggled at first and was brought a long slowly. Really excited to see how Lack does if given an extended starter period.

Wetcoaster

Tortorella on Lack replacing Luongo:

“Very confident. I say it every day: he’s not afraid of anything. He has prepared himself for this situation and he has played very well for us. I’m not sure where Louie’s going to go here in the next few days, but if it’s Lack, we’re confident in his play.â€​

Last edited by a moderator:

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Makes sense. If there's any lingering effects for Luongo at all, I imagine they'll keep him out until he's 100%. They had a free week off, so why not supplement it a bit longer? I'm not sure if this says much one way or the other about the severity of Luongo's injury.

Not that we'd find out with this team...

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Luongo is a head case like Cloutier was. Lack is not. Not worried one bit.

One hell of a talented head case.

We tried to get rid of Lu for pretty much nothing. No one wants him due to his contract and so there will be no goalie controversy this time around. I think Lu is a good enough goalie to win with if he stays healthy. Tortz knows how to handle this situation much better than AV.

I don't think it's a matter of if we want Luo anymore.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Seems odd. You'd think the game plan is to ride Läck exclusively if Luongo is out, so why not let Eriksson get the starts in Utica and call up his backup (Joe Cannata) to sit on the bench?

Always ice your best team.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Always ice your best team.
The guy on the bench isn't being "iced". The only situation where it would matter is where Läck leaves a game in the middle with an injury. And if that happens, Eriksson would be called up for the next game anyway. Having Eriksson play more (who knows how long Luongo will be out?) seems like the better tradeoff for the team than preparing for one partial game (could be as little as a few minutes) that isn't actually likely to happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad