Recalled/Assigned: Canucks recall Joacim Eriksson

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Seems odd. You'd think the game plan is to ride Läck exclusively if Luongo is out, so why not let Eriksson get the starts in Utica and call up his backup (Joe Cannata) to sit on the bench?

Because there is a real chance that the backup has to play. Cannata hasn't been great in his Utica starts and is clearly not ready for NHL action.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Seems odd. You'd think the game plan is to ride Läck exclusively if Luongo is out, so why not let Eriksson get the starts in Utica and call up his backup (Joe Cannata) to sit on the bench?

Always bring your best guy up. Never know if anything could happen to the backup.

3 games in 4 days right after the break. Plus a weekend back to back with LA/Ana on the road. If Lu still needs another week or so, likely to see Eriksson get a game in one of those road games in Cali.

SnapIt

Feb 19, 2013
The guy on the bench isn't being "iced". The only situation where it would matter is where Läck leaves a game in the middle with an injury. And if that happens, Eriksson would be called up for the next game anyway. Having Eriksson play more (who knows how long Luongo will be out?) seems like the better tradeoff for the team than preparing for one partial game (could be as little as a few minutes) that isn't actually likely to happen.

There are numerous scenarios
i) Lack is pulled early, game is still winnable.
ii) Lack is injured mid-game, game is still winnable.
iii) Back-to-back game or a stretch of numerous games in a short time period

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Always bring your best guy up. Never know if anything could happen to the backup.

3 games in 4 days right after the break. Plus a weekend back to back with LA/Ana on the road. If Lu still needs another week or so, likely to see Eriksson get a game in one of those road games in Cali.

Plus as an organization you want to reward someone for good play. He'll get a bit of pocket change, get to feel what it's like to be on a bench with the guys, and maybe get some game action.

Pseudonymous*

Is this confirmed somewhere? Or are you a doctor and have been able to legitimately determine this? Terrible if true...

you take facts and you come to an educated conclusion based on those facts. its painfully obvious. i question ones ability to read the signs if you think otherwise.

if a player is shaking his leg, do i need an article to tell me that his leg is tight or sore? :laugh:

his ability to move laterally has decreased big time with age, moving laterally has alot to do with groin, hes also had groin injuries in the past, his lateral movement slowed after such injuries, he also started falling forward suddenly.. then he started changing his style to adapt to his decline of lateral movement

no goalie is going to admit he has groin issues and moving laterally is harder than it used to be, he might as well tell players on the other team his weak areas. goaltenders are very very silent when it comes to things like that

sadly because he cannot come out and say this, fans just assume hes choosing to fall forward, when in reality, its a technique hes using because his lateral movement isn't up to par due to age and past groin injuries

instead of seeing hes adapted well for what his body's been through, people just criticize

theres been many recent articles that talk about how the butterfly style he plays is hard on the groin

https://www.google.ca/?gws_rd=cr&ei=Wsi9UoHIJ8faoATXoYLABg#q=butterfly+style+goaltender+groin

Last edited by a moderator:

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
Even if Luongo misses one game you still need a backup goalie in case something happens to Lack so you can't read too much into the call up other than Luongo probably won't be playing Sunday. The team has five games in eight days so it's a tough stretch to ease Lu back into the crease.

Lundface*

you take facts and you come to an educated conclusion based on those facts. its painfully obvious. i question ones ability to read the signs if you think otherwise.

if a player is shaking his leg, do i need an article to tell me that his leg is tight or sore? :laugh:

his ability to move laterally has decreased big time with age, moving laterally has alot to do with groin, hes also had groin injuries in the past, his lateral movement slowed after such injuries, he also started falling forward suddenly.. then he started changing his style to adapt to his decline of lateral movement

Kind of scary to think of the lasting effects this injury might have. The last groin injury as you mentioned slowed him down significantly.

While Luongo isn't that old he already has been slowing down quite a bit these past few seasons. Credit to him for trying to continually change his game to stay competitive, but if this injury lingers Van could be ****ed badly with his contract.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010

no goalie is going to admit he has groin issues and moving laterally is harder than it used to be, he might as well tell players on the other team his weak areas. goaltenders are very very silent when it comes to things like that

sadly because he cannot come out and say this, fans just assume hes choosing to fall forward, when in reality, its a technique hes using because his lateral movement isn't up to par due to age and past groin injuries

instead of seeing hes adapted well for what his body's been through, people just criticize

Yeah, most of this is unsubstantiated, and most people with knowledge of goaltending (Kevin Woodley) have argued that his lateral movement is fine.

Only Canucks fans will take one groin injury that kept a goalie out for a few weeks from five years previous as a leading indicator of a series of apparently catastrophic changes to a goaltender (that have not known up in the goalies' on-ice results...).

Luongo falls forward because he's bow-legged and it's harder for him to keep his balance when he has to over-exert to push across to make a desperation save. Usually when it happens more often it's a result of either A) Luongo making poor reads and coming across late (hence, desperation), or B) the team playing poorly and leaving back-door plays wide open.

I shudder to imagine what would happen if people had such violent reactions to every seemingly minor goaltender injury.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC

What you have is a theory, not an educated conclusion (semantics). That, it's a fairly valid theory IMO. However it's tough to put a finger on what makes Luongo different than his pre-2008 days. He's still at least matching his statistics between these two periods more or less minus 2012-13 in which he played what? 15 games? It could be aging, it could be different teams and systems, it could be a variety of things. You can't simply isolate one of many variables and attribute it to the change in his play over such a large period of time.

I'd say the biggest difference between the "Two Luongos" is this one's unfortunate tendency to let goals in at inopportune times. I'd in no way shape or form be ready to put very many goals allowed in any of those incidences in Cloutier category. Perhaps the only stretch I've seen him do so would be in 2009-10. Some do forget just how back-breaking and monumental Cloutier's gaffes were, his worst make Luongo's worst look like well-deserved goals.

Pseudonymous*

Yeah, most of this is unsubstantiated, and most people with knowledge of goaltending (Kevin Woodley) have argued that his lateral movement is fine.

Only Canucks fans will take one groin injury that kept a goalie out for a few weeks from five years previous as a leading indicator of a series of apparently catastrophic changes to a goaltender (that have not known up in the goalies' on-ice results...).

Luongo falls forward because he's bow-legged and it's harder for him to keep his balance when he has to over-exert to push across to make a desperation save. Usually when it happens more often it's a result of either A) Luongo making poor reads and coming across late (hence, desperation), or B) the team playing poorly and leaving back-door plays wide open.

I shudder to imagine what would happen if people had such violent reactions to every seemingly minor goaltender injury.

Im not too worried. He'll be fine, ill only start to get worried if another groin injury occurs later this season, then it becomes a habit.

And we'll agree to disagree, his lateral movement is nowhere near what it was in his earlier years. And it is still FINE, but its definitely not good.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Qdt

First time an NHL team has two Swedes suited up as their goaltenders?

the tommys (salo and soderstrom) both played a bit with the islanders in the mid 90s. i have no proof that they both dressed in the same game, but they probably did, as they overlapped for parts of three seasons.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Also I'd say that Luongo's lateral movement is his best facet besides positioning. I know next to nothing about goaltending compared to Kevin Woodley though. His glove hand is a bigger problem than lateral movement, IMO.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Im not too worried. He'll be fine, ill only start to get worried if another groin injury occurs later this season, then it becomes a habit.

And we'll agree to disagree, his lateral movement is nowhere near what it was in his earlier years. And it is still FINE, but its definitely not good.

I can agree with that last part somewhat, but it only really crops up on really scrambly plays/back door post-to-post plays. The thing is, he's generally so good positionally that he can compensate for that. That positioning/ability to read the play is also aided by experience, so you take the good with the bad, as it were. That's why I am generally more concerned with on-ice results. I only worry about the "how" when the results fade.

Pseudonymous*

I can agree with that last part somewhat, but it only really crops up on really scrambly plays/back door post-to-post plays. The thing is, he's generally so good positionally that he can compensate for that. That positioning/ability to read the play is also aided by experience, so you take the good with the bad, as it were. That's why I am generally more concerned with on-ice results. I only worry about the "how" when the results fade.

Yep everytime i see a bad goal of his, i think to myself, well he still gets those ones just being in good position that most goaltenders dont. mainly those point shots through crowds, even the ones that change direction

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Yep everytime i see a bad goal of his, i think to myself, well he still gets those ones just being in good position that most goaltenders dont. mainly those point shots through crowds, even the ones that change direction

Yeah, and he makes a lot of good saves on shots from the slot when he's on his game. It's just perspective a lot of the time.

To get things back on track, I am torn on Eriksson. Part of me wants to see him get a game to see how he looks. But the other part of me wants Lack to play so well that Eriksson is stapled to the bench for the next 4 games...

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Luongo is a head case like Cloutier was. Lack is not. Not worried one bit.

:laugh:

Cloutier wasn't great because he was a head case - it was a case of not enough talent. Though I think he would've trade to take off Byfuglian's head if he tried to do any of his moves in his crease. Byfuglian, being the brave guy he is, would've likely turtled if challenged to a fight with Cloutier:laugh:

Wetcoaster

You need two goalies for practise. It is a good chance to get a look at Eriksson against NHL level shooters so the Canucks have a better idea of what they have if Luongo was to be out for a longer period of time.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
You need two goalies for practise. It is a good chance to get a look at Eriksson against NHL level shooters so the Canucks have a better idea of what they have if Luongo was to be out for a longer period of time.

Also, it's important for the kids in Utica to earn their NHL time, not just be gifted it. Eriksson has been very strong in Utica lately so he deserves the call-up more than Cannata.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
:laugh:

Cloutier wasn't great because he was a head case - it was a case of not enough talent. Though I think he would've trade to take off Byfuglian's head if he tried to do any of his moves in his crease. Byfuglian, being the brave guy he is, would've likely turtled if challenged to a fight with Cloutier:laugh:

Interestingly enough Cloutier is a really good goalie coach.

Those who can't do, teach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad