Recalled/Assigned: Canucks recall Frank Corrado

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I know it wasn't you that called him garbage - great how a defenseman prospect is crapola after a somewhat medicore year as a 21 year old in the AHL. Funny, that Tanev was playing in the NCAA at that age.

"a somewhat medicore year as a 21 year old in the AHL"

Let's get it correct, as a 20 year old in the NHL. He just turned 21 within days. He must be garbage if not starring on the Canucks already.
Come on!!

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I don't even know if I'd call it a mediocre year, wasn't he their best d-man?

Not really. He really struggled for about half of the season. He is playing much better now and it's a toss up night to night between Frankie and Biega for offensive best. Huskins and Andersson are often the best defensively.

Frankie is working on putting both sides of the game together in order to be a complete D-man. He is getting there and in a couple of years will probably be a decent NHL player, not that SOME of these Nucks' fans would deserve him.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I wouldn't be too harsh on Corrado this season personally. Not easy to be relied on as one of the top defenceman on a mediocre AHL team at 20/21 years old...

Uticans will take that hit. However, going into last Friday night the Comets had the second best record in the AHL since January 8th. They finished a 3 game weekend with 3 points.

So mediocre is how the record looks, but those who follow the game know the difference in this team between the 1st half and the second. Frankie has been a big part of their climb from the pits along with the rest of his lunch pail buddies.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Not really. He really struggled for about half of the season. He is playing much better now and it's a toss up night to night between Frankie and Biega for offensive best. Huskins and Andersson are often the best defensively.

Frankie is working on putting both sides of the game together in order to be a complete D-man. He is getting there and in a couple of years will probably be a decent NHL player, not that SOME of these Nucks' fans would deserve him.

How effective is he at clearing the front of the net?

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
They are both young and have a lot of potential. But let's not make it as if Corrado has more potential offensively than Tanev. Tanev already has his defensive game down pat and is arguably the Canucks best defender. As a defenceman, that's the most important. Tanev at 24 can still develop HIS offensive ability.

Again, not knocking Corrado, but he's a bit too overrated for what he has (or lack of) accomplished as a Canuck.

He has a nice slap shot, threw some nice hits, but is nowhere the top prospect people make him out to be. Still has a long way to go, and Torts seems to agree. Otherwise, he would have replaced Yannik Weber by now

I repeat! 20 years old!!! What do you people expect? Hype, no matter how great, comes from amateur play. The pro game is a slow process especially for D-men. You point out Tanev is 24. Let's wait until Frankie is 24 and then we'll talk comparison. His first full season as a 24 year old will be 2017-2018.

My guess is he will be a fine NHL player by 2018-2019. He'll be just 25 with a career ahead of him. Tanev will be 29 and looking to sign for 3 or 4 more years if he can get that long a contract.

We must be able to put things in their proper perspective.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver

You can't really "clear" the front of the net the way you used to be able to in the 1990's. Since the 2004-05 lockout, you can establish body position and box out an opposing forward. If you don't establish good position, you can make it uncomfortable for someone to stay there very long (small cross checks, slashes and the odd punch al a Brad Marchand), but if you knock the guy down away from the puck you will almost certainly get called for interference.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I think Corrado will either be ready full time for Van or one more year with the Comets...I think he could have more "goals" if Comets were a good team. Isn't Corrado a similar player to Bieska in term of toughness

Based on the role he is being groomed to fill, he will be in the AHL next season at least, maybe 2 more seasons. The Canucks healthy D does not have a place for him yet, barring a trade of one of those guys ahead of him.

The best place for him is where he will get 25+ minutes a game and DEVELOP into what Vancouver wants. You can't rush a guy into that kind of role and he won't become it playing 3rd pair or 7th man at the NHL level.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
You can't really "clear" the front of the net the way you used to be able to in the 1990's. Since the 2004-05 lockout, you can establish body position and box out an opposing forward. If you don't establish good position, you can make it uncomfortable for someone to stay there very long (small cross checks, slashes and the odd punch al a Brad Marchand), but if you knock the guy down away from the puck you will almost certainly get called for interference.

Unless you are Weber...:sarcasm:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
:laugh: Maybe in terms of taking punishment. I doubt Frankie can chuck em like Juice though.

So far in Utica Frankie would not be considered a big hitter. He is 6'1" and goes 190. Not small, but not big by NHL standards. I stood on the ice with him Sunday afternoon and he is not overly physically impressive.

He is not a big hitter. He will deal out the occasional big check, but only when the situation sets it up for him. He had problems sinking too deep rather than playing the man in 1 on 1 situations, but has since been more of a rub off, ride wide, tie up D-man and has been quite successful at it. When the puck comes free, he has great speed and can take it and go or boost it up on a breakout. He is not the guy who stays back in a support role while his partner goes offensively. He is the runner. He will not be the steady, stay at home, solid D-man.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
He's chippy but in no ways a fighter at the level of Juice. Bieksas biceps have to be the thickness of Frankie's thighs :laugh:

I can't say that I recollect him ever dropping the gloves. If he did i'd have to be reminded because it can't be more than once or twice and he wasn't impressive or I would remember. Grenier only fought once and he was impressive in his bout that I do remember.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
How can it not be? Again, people say Corrado is young and has upside. Why can't Tanev be in the same boat? He's only 24 and he already has a very good hockey sense. His bullet-proof D just overshadows what he does offensively.

It's not overrating Tanev at all as he has already proven to be a core in the Canucks D and has outplayed many of the vets on a lot of nights.

They are not fit to be compared until Frankie has had a similar stay at the top level. Right now you are comparing apples to walnuts. You can't.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
I can't say that I recollect him ever dropping the gloves. If he did i'd have to be reminded because it can't be more than once or twice and he wasn't impressive or I would remember. Grenier only fought once and he was impressive in his bout that I do remember.

Hes only fought a couple times in junior, once was against a 6'7 guy and he got dropped too

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I like him, but I just don't see a standout player at the NHL level. I'd be really happy if he ends up as a 2nd pairing and PKer. My take on him is that he's average size with average puck skills, good wheels and decent all-round ability. If he is on our 1st unit PP moving forward, Imo we are in trouble. Maybe he develops more offensive flair, but that's asking a lot when he was never that type of player even in juniors. Not that I've watched every one of his games or anything, but offensively I mostly just see him firing it on net without any nifty plays or anything- just sort of straight forward plays. Compared to a guy like Hutton (just from the highlights) that is able to delay and pick the corner through traffic on a long wrister - he's sneaky - I don't see that kind of game from Frankie. Would love to be wrong though...

*Maybe 2nd pairing is pretty "standout"- I guess that's my assumed ceiling.

Let's wait 4 years and then we can assess your prediction. Hutton hasn't even been at the pro level yet. He is still outside waiting to be seen. I'll hold my thoughts on him until he gets his time in. This seems to be the real problem. Guys are being evaluated before their game has even begun to be developed. Let them grow and develop in the pro game before setting up their career limits. Very few guys are superstars coming out of the gate. Most disappoint the rosy eyed fan base expecting to see another Gretzky on day 1. 2,3,or 4 years later a large prtion of thsoe real good ones have become just that. I'm willing to wait those 4 years to assess Frankie. From the short 6 month growth I've watched, I think he will be just fine.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

Besides Huskins that is a major flaw of the Comets' defense. I don't think it has been heavily instilled. They are way too guilty of puck watching rather than looking for the next dangerous man and tying him up or clearing him out.

If you saw the kind of point blank shots they give up nightly as a result, you would be shocked. The Comets' goaltending stats are from real good set ups, not from wide angle, outside, or long dump shots to make changes. When the game sheet says 32 shots on goal, the stats don't lie.

Taking that into consideration, they have been working much harder at it the past couple of months. It's finally set in that goals for are in short quantity and therefore any goal scored against may be the one that beats them. They have made a total team commitment to it even though at times you wonder if they really understand what it means. Hence the large number of very low scoring 1 goal games, many in OT or SOs.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

Absolutely correct. Thus, big men in front are difficult to deal with unless you have equal size and strength or a large set of specific skills to utilize. That is what Frankie is working on at this moment. He is adding a bunch of individual skills to his skill set in order to be effective at this task.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Bad Goalie I just read all of your recent posts in this thread and as usual I think your take on Frankie Corrado is spot on. Everyone needs to take a deep breath and understand he is a 20 year old (ok just turned 21) rookie playing in his first pro season which is a big jump form juniors. He is still learning and developing his game and will be a regular in Vancouver at some point in the future when he is ready. On top of that he is a great kid and will represent Vancouver well someday.

hockeywoot

Oct 29, 2010
China
I repeat! 20 years old!!! What do you people expect? Hype, no matter how great, comes from amateur play. The pro game is a slow process especially for D-men. You point out Tanev is 24. Let's wait until Frankie is 24 and then we'll talk comparison. His first full season as a 24 year old will be 2017-2018.

My guess is he will be a fine NHL player by 2018-2019. He'll be just 25 with a career ahead of him. Tanev will be 29 and looking to sign for 3 or 4 more years if he can get that long a contract.

We must be able to put things in their proper perspective.

I agree.

Frankie could play on the bottom pairing, but it is better for him to spent more time in the minors with more minutes, to round out his game.

Remember, Tanev (my favorite d-man btw) spent some extra time in the minors, after playing college hockey. Was he NHL ready at the time? Yes. Was it the better move for his development? Absolutely.

Frankie needs to get used to playing against men. Juniors to Pro, is a notable jump. Let him ripen more in the minors first.

Wolfhard

Jul 7, 2012
BC
Bad Goalie I just read all of your recent posts in this thread and as usual I think your take on Frankie Corrado is spot on. Everyone needs to take a deep breath and understand he is a 20 year old (ok just turned 21) rookie playing in his first pro season which is a big jump form juniors. He is still learning and developing his game and will be a regular in Vancouver at some point in the future when he is ready. On top of that he is a great kid and will represent Vancouver well someday.

I think some people in here only remember Frankie when he came up at the end of the season. He came up, and played well. But he also played on adrenaline. He was clearly outmatched by the size and speed of NHL players, and the only way he managed to compensate, was by constantly leaving himself exposed (taking huge hits to make plays. Similar to Tanev). It showed a lot of heart and courage, and he had some success in that short stint, but there's NO way he could maintain that type of play over a full season.

After AV let him have his 10 games, at the expense of Ballard (I almost think it was a form of protest at Ballard still being on the team), most people on this forum had Corrado penciled in on the 3rd pairing for this season! That was very unrealistic, as it was clear that he needed time at a lesser level to get used to bigger, stronger players, and a faster game. He's still pretty wiry too, and really needs to put on a few pounds before he'll be able to handle the abuse that he's willing to take.

His ability to elevate his game well above his expected abilities, even for that short period, was actually quite impressive. Once he finds his way to being a regular (even average?) NHL level defender, I think it really bodes well for his future, as he definitely has that big-game potential. The type of guy that can step up in playoffs, and really be more of a force than he should be.

But yes. People need to temper expectations, and applaud his efforts at the end of last season, rather than crap on him for not being able to do that all year long. He's got some great skills and abilities, but he's still just a pro rookie. As long as he's taking a steady shift, he'll improve and adapt. In a few years, I'm sure he'll be a steady contributor.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Tanev at 21 kinda sucked. I have very high hopes for Corrado.

Stanton too. These are good young players/prospects.

Last edited by a moderator:

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
Arguing that Tanev is our best D, Is overrating him, and the reason that Tanev is not in the same boat as Corrado in regards to offensive upside is because Corrado has offensive skill...

So you conveniently change the argument from "could be" to is"? Tanev may not be our #1 but he's dam close. He's not putting up bunches of goals or skating end to end but he is as solid as you can get.

Obviously people see a different player in Corrado. This needs to be understood. Either way it's very hard for me at this point to ever see Corrado playing consistently solid hockey on a top pairing like Tanev has done with Hamhuis throughout most of this year.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
So you conveniently change the argument from "could be" to is"? Tanev may not be our #1 but he's dam close. He's not putting up bunches of goals or skating end to end but he is as solid as you can get.

I have not conveniently changed ****... The guy said this...

"Tanev already has his defensive game down pat and is arguably the Canucks best defender"

All I am saying and have said is, If someone put together an argument for Tanev being our best defender, Than that would be an example of overrating a player...

Ironic since it was used in a post to say that Corrado is overrated...

But whatever... go through my posts and pick out a sentence that I did not word exactly the same each time I post on the topic... Perhaps I should just copy-past the same **** over and over...

Talk all you want about Tanev in his thread... Go make a post arguing that he is our best defender... (someone may disagree)

This thread is about Corrado, our promising young D prospect that had a great final year of junior, was praised by the likes of Bob McKenzie, and seems to me to have the correct amount of rating, except for those that underrate him and call him garbage...

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver

Obviously people see a different player in Corrado. This needs to be understood. Either way it's very hard for me at this point to ever see Corrado playing consistently solid hockey on a top pairing like Tanev has done with Hamhuis throughout most of this year.

Eaxctly, Tanev very likely can be relied on the top 2. And it's not just fans 'overrating' him. Torts already said he is the guy who just 'gets it'. His hockey sense is good-look at some of the goals he has, he knows where to go. Consistently makes the safe plays. And I have yet to see him play bad with anyone.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
I have not conveniently changed ****... The guy said this...

"Tanev already has his defensive game down pat and is arguably the Canucks best defender"

All I am saying and have said is, If someone put together an argument for Tanev being our best defender, Than that would be an example of overrating a player...

Ironic since it was used in a post to say that Corrado is overrated...

But whatever... go through my posts and pick out a sentence that I did not word exactly the same each time I post on the topic... Perhaps I should just copy-past the same **** over and over...

Talk all you want about Tanev in his thread... Go make a post arguing that he is our best defender... (someone may disagree)

This thread is about Corrado, our promising young D prospect that had a great final year of junior, was praised by the likes of Bob McKenzie, and seems to me to have the correct amount of rating, except for those that underrate him and call him garbage...

I admit I was late to the party and did not see anyone flat out say Tanev was our best defender. Obviously what your pal said is close to that, but not quite. I do apologise, however I take more issue with your extreme reaction(s) than anything else. Get worked up about that if you want...

I like to throw some objectivity around here sometimes. I don't see things as black and white as most posters appear to. Corrado could go either way, just like any prospect. He has plenty of time but there's no argument he's not as effective as we saw him last year in the NHL. Some posters have fairly (by my account) tempered their expectations, however some maybe too far.

When it's all said and done it doesn't mean I don't think Frank will have a home on our blueline for a long time, but that impression is not as strong as it was last season. Sophomore's slump, he's playing on a bad team and adjusting to the pro game - I'm not going to be too hard on him for that.

PS I think Tanev is our second best "defender". Maybe not all around d-man but I'm rolling with semantics this time around.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I admit I was late to the party and did not see anyone flat out say Tanev was our best defender. Obviously what your pal said is close to that, but not quite. I do apologise, however I take more issue with your extreme reaction(s) than anything else. Get worked up about that if you want...

I like to throw some objectivity around here sometimes. I don't see things as black and white as most posters appear to. Corrado could go either way, just like any prospect. He has plenty of time but there's no argument he's not as effective as we saw him last year in the NHL. Some posters have fairly (by my account) tempered their expectations, however some maybe too far.

When it's all said and done it doesn't mean I don't think Frank will have a home on our blueline for a long time, but that impression is not as strong as it was last season. Sophomore's slump, he's playing on a bad team and adjusting to the pro game - I'm not going to be too hard on him for that.

PS I think Tanev is our second best "defender". Maybe not all around d-man but I'm rolling with semantics this time around.

He hasn't had a sophomore year yet. A call up at the end of Jrs and 18 games in the NHL do not comprise a season. This id first pro season and he has played it at 20 tears of age. If he gets a full year in the NHL, the next season after that will be his sophomore year. Let him reach Tanev's age before passing judgement on his professional career.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
He hasn't had a sophomore year yet. A call up at the end of Jrs and 18 games in the NHL do not comprise a season. This id first pro season and he has played it at 20 tears of age. If he gets a full year in the NHL, the next season after that will be his sophomore year. Let him reach Tanev's age before passing judgement on his professional career.

1) Re sophomore - you're right, but he did get a taste. It's about the situation, not the definition
2) I was presenting a case for giving him the benefit of the doubt
3) I will judge where he's at now, but I also understand that things change

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad