Recalled/Assigned: Canucks recall Frank Corrado

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
Corrado has to be good, he's one of our GREAT prospects Gillis has leading us to certain cup wins in the future along with Gaunce.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Holy ****. He turned 21 a few days ago. He's played 18 NHL games. This is hilarious.

Yossarian54

Oct 12, 2011
Perth, WA
Corrado is Garbage. Another case of Mike Gillis raving on a player to a point where he becomes so overrated in this board.

But I guess putting in garbage with the rest of this garbage season makes sense.

Living up to the user subtitle hey?

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
Holy ****. He turned 21 a few days ago. He's played 18 NHL games. This is hilarious.

No kidding... I think he's 8th among defensemen in his draft class in NHL games played so far. All the defensemen ahead of him were top 20 picks. Only Brodin and Hamilton have established themselves as full-time NHLers at this point.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
If by 'this year' you meant the 'SCF 2011' then yes.

I know it wasn't you that called him garbage - great how a defenseman prospect is crapola after a somewhat medicore year as a 21 year old in the AHL. Funny, that Tanev was playing in the NCAA at that age.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
I know it wasn't you that called him garbage - great how a defenseman prospect is crapola after a somewhat medicore year as a 21 year old in the AHL. Funny, that Tanev was playing in the NCAA at that age.

I don't even know if I'd call it a mediocre year, wasn't he their best d-man?

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I wouldn't be too harsh on Corrado this season personally. Not easy to be relied on as one of the top defenceman on a mediocre AHL team at 20/21 years old...

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Also an interesting point about Tanevs age, I wonder if that can be used for Corrado?

They are both young and have a lot of potential. But let's not make it as if Corrado has more potential offensively than Tanev. Tanev already has his defensive game down pat and is arguably the Canucks best defender. As a defenceman, that's the most important. Tanev at 24 can still develop HIS offensive ability.

Again, not knocking Corrado, but he's a bit too overrated for what he has (or lack of) accomplished as a Canuck.

He has a nice slap shot, threw some nice hits, but is nowhere the top prospect people make him out to be. Still has a long way to go, and Torts seems to agree. Otherwise, he would have replaced Yannik Weber by now

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
He has a nice slap shot, threw some nice hits, but is nowhere the top prospect people make him out to be. Still has a long way to go, and Torts seems to agree. Otherwise, he would have replaced Yannik Weber by now

Why would he replace Yannik Weber? Weber is a depth guy that plays about 5 minutes a night at forward or defence. He's a utility guy. Corrado is a prospect that the team envisions playing a substantial role with the team. Corrado needs to play big minutes right now, not be used as a spare part like Weber. Corrado wasn't going to see a call-up until there were substantial minutes available. Even if Tortarella knows he's a better option than Weber, it's just not the way you develop players.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Why would he replace Yannik Weber? Weber is a depth guy that plays about 5 minutes a night at forward or defence. He's a utility guy. Corrado is a prospect that the team envisions playing a substantial role with the team. Corrado needs to play big minutes right now, not be used as a spare part like Weber. Corrado wasn't going to see a call-up until there were substantial minutes available. Even if Tortarella knows he's a better option than Weber, it's just not the way you develop players.

Right now would actually be a good time for Corrado to get some playing time to 'develop'. With the amount of injuries that Canucks have on their blueline, they are already using Weber in a lot of situations. Why not give it to Corrado?

If Weber was stuck in the press box, I agree that Corrado shouldn't replace him in the press box.

Wetcoaster

Right now would actually be a good time for Corrado to get some playing time to 'develop'. With the amount of injuries that Canucks have on their blueline, they are already using Weber in a lot of situations. Why not give it to Corrado?

If Weber was stuck in the press box, I agree that Corrado shouldn't replace him in the press box.
The idea is to give Corrado lots of minutes and let him play in all situations which he gets in Utica.

When Beiksa went down it looked like a chance for Corrado to get some minutes in situations where he could be evaluated but KB3 must have visited the Grotto of Massabielle in the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Lourdes and was miraculaously healed.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
The idea is to give Corrado lots of minutes and let him play in all situations which he gets in Utica.

When Beiksa went down it looked like a chance for Corrado to get some minutes in situations where he could be evaluated but KB3 must have visited the Grotto of Massabielle in the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Lourdes and was miraculaously healed.

Beiksa is baest.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
They are both young and have a lot of potential. But let's not make it as if Corrado has more potential offensively than Tanev. Tanev already has his defensive game down pat and is arguably the Canucks best defender. As a defenceman, that's the most important. Tanev at 24 can still develop HIS offensive ability.

Again, not knocking Corrado, but he's a bit too overrated for what he has (or lack of) accomplished as a Canuck.

How can it even be a topic that Tanev has more offensive upside than Corrado??? Since Corrado you can say has offensive upside... And Tanev has one of the weakest shots you will see...

I have yet to see anyone overrate him, he is our most NHL ready prospect, he has out preformed his draft position, and as with D men with his tools (tools Tanev dose not have) anything is possible...

Also the irony that people are saying that Corrado is overrated... and then use Tanev in the same conversation, saying he could be the Nucks best D man... If someone was to form an argument he was there Best D. That would be an attempt to overrate a player.

Last edited:

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010

Barring Tanev having a Kesler-like epiphany, Corrado has more offensive potential. He has a similar heady breakout pass (note: needs to transition it to the NHL so advantage Tanev here), is decent with the puck in the offensive zone, and has an actual shot. Doesn't mean Corrado will reach any particular level, but Corrado has more offensive potential than Tanev.

That said, Tanev has fairly mediocre offensive potential IMO.

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
I think Corrado will either be ready full time for Van or one more year with the Comets...I think he could have more "goals" if Comets were a good team. Isn't Corrado a similar player to Bieska in term of toughness

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
I think Corrado will either be ready full time for Van or one more year with the Comets...I think he could have more "goals" if Comets were a good team. Isn't Corrado a similar player to Bieska in term of toughness

:laugh: Maybe in terms of taking punishment. I doubt Frankie can chuck em like Juice though.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
How can it even be a topic that Tanev has more offensive upside than Corrado??? Since Corrado you can say has offensive upside... And Tanev has one of the weakest shots you will see...

I have yet to see anyone overrate him, he is our most NHL ready prospect, he has out preformed his draft position, and as with D men with his tools (tools Tanev dose not have) anything is possible...

Also the irony that people are saying that Corrado is overrated... and then use Tanev in the same conversation, saying he could be the Nucks best D man... If someone was to form an argument he was there Best D. That would be an attempt to overrate a player.

How can it not be? Again, people say Corrado is young and has upside. Why can't Tanev be in the same boat? He's only 24 and he already has a very good hockey sense. His bullet-proof D just overshadows what he does offensively.

It's not overrating Tanev at all as he has already proven to be a core in the Canucks D and has outplayed many of the vets on a lot of nights.

NoRaise4Brackett

But Brackett!!!
Mar 16, 2011
Lurking the Boards
I like him, but I just don't see a standout player at the NHL level. I'd be really happy if he ends up as a 2nd pairing and PKer. My take on him is that he's average size with average puck skills, good wheels and decent all-round ability. If he is on our 1st unit PP moving forward, Imo we are in trouble. Maybe he develops more offensive flair, but that's asking a lot when he was never that type of player even in juniors. Not that I've watched every one of his games or anything, but offensively I mostly just see him firing it on net without any nifty plays or anything- just sort of straight forward plays. Compared to a guy like Hutton (just from the highlights) that is able to delay and pick the corner through traffic on a long wrister - he's sneaky - I don't see that kind of game from Frankie. Would love to be wrong though...

*Maybe 2nd pairing is pretty "standout"- I guess that's my assumed ceiling.

Last edited:

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
How can it not be? Again, people say Corrado is young and has upside. Why can't Tanev be in the same boat? He's only 24 and he already has a very good hockey sense. His bullet-proof D just overshadows what he does offensively.

It's not overrating Tanev at all as he has already proven to be a core in the Canucks D and has outplayed many of the vets on a lot of nights.

Arguing that Tanev is our best D, Is overrating him, and the reason that Tanev is not in the same boat as Corrado in regards to offensive upside is because Corrado has offensive skill...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad