Recalled/Assigned: Canucks recall F Jonah Gadjovich

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
Nice to have Gadget up with the Nucks who are such a soft team. The Simmonds fight with Edler just showed how gutless they are.
With a nickname like that, he must be a character! What's the story behind that? Honestly though, would he have any more impact than MacEwen?

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
They won't lose Lind or Gadj.
they will have a deal worked out. They still have other prospects/picks that could help them dump someone. Rafferty/Karlsson/mcdonough/Costmar/zlodeyev/jurmo/focht are dump able assets

You don’t work out deals to protect middling prospects like Lind and Gadjovich. Well Benning might but you shouldn’t.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Just expose Myers and Pearson and Holtby and I guess we don’t have to worry about Lind and Gadjo

I know for sure that Pearson can't because they were tweeting he got protection in the first year to directly address the expansion.

im not sure about Myers.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I know for sure that Pearson can't because they were tweeting he got protection in the first year to directly address the expansion.

im not sure about Myers.
Benning promised Pearson that he will be protected. Fire Benning and tada, throw that promise out the window. It’s not like Seattle will take that dumbass contract anyways…

Reactions: Luckylarry

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
I think Gadjovich is exactly what this team needs. A big physical net front presence who can bang in those juicy rebounds/tip in. Even if he isnt the best skater we could crave out a career similar to Scorey Perry if he is able to do that

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I think Gadjovich is exactly what this team needs. A big physical net front presence who can bang in those juicy rebounds/tip in. Even if he isnt the best skater we could crave out a career similar to Scorey Perry if he is able to do that

100%. If he can grind along the boards and get to the slot and generally be hard to move, that would be great.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Countless examples of poor skaters with long NHL careers. It’s not a make or break if you compensate for it in other areas. He has absolutely forced Benning’s hand with the dominant season he’s having.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Well deserved. Can't wait to see Gadj in action.

Loui has balls, imagine having to work with a team where every player is both better than you and earning less per season than you are.

I don't know about that. Sure Loui is a senior member of the team and riding a retirement contract but he also has almost 1000 games played, 250 goals, and almost 600 points. That currently puts him top 40 among all active players in those categories. Is there another player on the team who has scored 30 goals in a season? The only player who has had a 70+ point season in the NHL is JT Miller. I almost feel like that Loui can give the "Kid when I was your age..." speech. Certainly when Loui was 23 he scored 36 goals. When he was 24-26 he was a 26-29 goal 70+ point player. We all like to make fun of Loui since he sucks as a Canuck but when he was young he was a damn fine player

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
He's been a favourite prospect of mine since he got drafted. Happy to hear that he's dragged his skating issues up from "deal breaker" to "maybe passable". I suspect that he will once again have a slow learning curve as he deals with the size, strength and hockey smarts of a typical NHL player. The first two shouldn't be as big an issue as when he went from Jr. the the AHL, but the empty ice he found in the A might not exist as much in the bigs.
Fingers crossed... he might still turn out to be a fun guy to have on the team.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Well this is one guy I bet few expected to be called up this year. He’s probably made the biggest strides of any prospect in the system. Frankly I’d pretty much written him off a year ago. Would be huge if he can actually become a regular player next year.
I guess at least we will get a few games to see just where his skating is at and whether he can play at this level. This off season will be key for the coaching staff to try to get him to work on his skating.

Last edited:

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Always said he would make the show. Guy is too tough and too strong and determined not too. Some guys have an it factor and Gadjo is one of those guys. Do i expect he will be a top6 forward...No. Can he be a tough pain in the ass that hits like a truck from our 3rd or 4th line once he refines his game...hell yes he can.

As someone said above he has the hands and strength combo that allows him to score greasy goals and this team lacks that in spades. He's probably gonna struggle for awhile as he did adjusting to AHL but he will become a fan fav if he can keep up and manage the puck.

Welcome to Vancouver Jonah

DR7LlFaUQAA1k8B.jpg

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Great news and well deserved! As I said yesterday, aside from DiPietro, through no fault of his own, a number of prospects I was hping would take a step have made great strides this year. Rathbone, Lind, Gadjovich. Even Lockwood is heating up offensively after already showing he can be a force with his skating and tanacity.

Canucklehead94

Jul 5, 2012
Awesome, another prospect called up to sit in the press box and learn the "pro" game. It's pretty obvious Green and Benning don't discuss these transactions so probably would have been better for him to stay with the Comets.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
He’s got lots of skill. Jonah will impress like Lind did because they are simply better hockey players than many in our bottom 6. I remember people said if you can’t produce in juniors you can’t become NHL bottom 6 players.

Well they definitely produced in junior, and knocking on the NHL line-up.

Podkolzin is younger and a force in the KHL. He’s got a higher ceiling but these are all future NHLers next season.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I don't know about that. Sure Loui is a senior member of the team and riding a retirement contract but he also has almost 1000 games played, 250 goals, and almost 600 points. That currently puts him top 40 among all active players in those categories. Is there another player on the team who has scored 30 goals in a season? The only player who has had a 70+ point season in the NHL is JT Miller. I almost feel like that Loui can give the "Kid when I was your age..." speech. Certainly when Loui was 23 he scored 36 goals. When he was 24-26 he was a 26-29 goal 70+ point player. We all like to make fun of Loui since he sucks as a Canuck but when he was young he was a damn fine player
How many players in his position haven't found a reason to gracefully retire once they started to produce at a $600k/point pace? Almost none. Nearly every other player in his position has found a way to do right by his team and LTIRetire, so why hasn't Loui given how little effort he puts in on the ice in his increasingly rare shifts?

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Excited to see him get in some games, hopefully make the most of it. He’s had a great year in the A, good for hm as his stock has climbed substantially.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Poor kid. Won’t get any slack here because he’s a Benning pick.

Ya that is simply not true. No one wishes for picks to fail because Benning drafted them.

Will be interesting to see what he can bring. Reports on his poor first steps make it very hard to judge what he can do until you see him in the NHL. Is it a complete detriment or something that can be overcome? Time to find out.

Perhaps he becomes a 4th line guy that you put on PP2 to screen and bang pucks home. That’s be a win for sure at the draft table.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Rathbone and Gadjovich need to get in the line-up this year and that makes 5 players from the 2017 draft with at least one NHL game.

That was an amazing draft looking at the top 5 picks. We desperately need another draft like that this year although getting five potential nhl’ers is probably not realistic.
  • Round 1, 5th overall: C Elias Pettersson. ...
  • Round 2, 33rd overall: RW Kole Lind
  • Round 2, 55th overall: LW Jonah Gadjovich. ...
  • Round 3, 64th overall: G Michael DiPietro. ...
  • Round 4, 95th overall: D Jack Rathbone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad