Recalled/Assigned: Canucks recall F Alex Friesen & D Yannick Weber

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
You could be right...but here's the problem I have...what Canucks management is essentially saying to Utica players is that since the guys we call up are going to be wearing practice jerseys and logging pressbox time anyway, it really doesn't matter who we call up...not a great message to kids who are busting their butts down there and dreaming of a chance to play in the NHL.

You know it's not exactly a popular decision around here how the team is utilizing their Utica call ups, but it is what it is and has been like this for two seasons now. When the pro roster falls to 18-19 healthy players, a guy gets called up to sit in the press box as an emergency game-day replacement. He collects an NHL paycheque and gets to practice with the team, but actual game time is unlikely.

And with the exception of Subban all our top young guys have gotten call ups this season, and that's how they were used. Remember when Pedan's first NHL game was playing 5 minutes as a 4th line winger? Right now the guys in Utica just have to play their best for an opportunity next season.

It seems like the current philosophy is to give every Utica player a taste of practicing with the pro team and collecting an NHL pay cheque, not to reward the top performing players with a couple NHL games. Again this isn't an approval or anything, it just is what it is, so that's why it doesn't matter that it's Weber and Freisen getting the callup.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
I can't say it with certainty, anymore than you can say with certainty they have a legitimate shot on the big club next year.

Not trying to be argumentative but IMO they simply need much more top 6 minutes at the AHL level. Hunter's play along the boards and in the corners is weak. Not from lack of effort but from lack of strength and speed.

Gaunce needs to work on his skating and turning. While people are wildly enthusiastic over his stats the last 2 games, Travis Green stated on the pre game show the other night that with Gaunce, it is all about baby steps. Otherwise, you'll have a McCann and Virtanin situation with theses 2. Better off having them getting minutes and develop here. Play some playoff games, gain confidence and become leaders.

I think I can say with certainty they have a legitimate shot at being on the team next year. Im not guaranteeing they will be on the roster, and im not saying they have no chance of being on the roster. Im saying they have a legitimate shot at being NHL players next year. I don't see any controversy in this statement.

If they are going to make the transition from AHL to NHL, the transition is going to be a lot easier if they can get some NHL experience before trying to make the team F/T.

I believe NHL experience is valuable for young players, even if its in small, limited showings.

Domecile

Opinion != Fact
Jul 9, 2014
Delta
I also don't see the value in prospects essentially just travelling with the team and sitting in the press box. We agree.

My argument is though, Shinkaruk/Gaunce have earned call ups, they've done everything in their power to earn call ups. Put Cracknell in the press box and let Gaunce get a few games with the big club. I think an argument could be made that Gaunce is probably a better player than Cracknell at this point (or at least just as good).

I can understand the argument for bringing in non-prospects if they are going to sit on the bench.. but to me this looks like a good opportunity to start incorporating more youth into the lineup.

I can certainly see what you're saying and if we were assured that they see consistent playing time while up here then I'd agree with you. But as it's already been mentioned, called up players usually don't make the starting lineup unless the coach is absolutely forced into it, and when they do find themselves in the lineup they see extremely limited ice time throughout the game.

I just find it more likely that the same treatment will be given to Gaunce, Shinkaruk and Subban than having Cracknell, Bartkowski or whomever deserves to sit actually sitting in favor of them.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
I think I can say with certainty they have a legitimate shot at being on the team next year. Im not guaranteeing they will be on the roster, and im not saying they have no chance of being on the roster. Im saying they have a legitimate shot at being NHL players next year. I don't see any controversy in this statement.

If they are going to make the transition from AHL to NHL, the transition is going to be a lot easier if they can get some NHL experience before trying to make the team F/T.

I believe NHL experience is valuable for young players, even if its in small, limited showings.

No controversy. I just don't see it....not passing the eye test here.

If they do earn spots on the Canucks next year, the Canucks, if they aren't one this year, will certainly be a bottom 5 Lotterty team next year.

I don't think that helps develop prospects playing on an awful team. If they do play regularly next year, the Canucks will be lucky to win 20 games.

They have had limited NHL experience, BTW. Watch the Comets games on streaming and say with a straight face Gaunce is ready for the NHL. I hope I'm wrong but I doubt it.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Annoyed that they've brought Weber back up...after he's played his way off the team this year, showing that he's just not good enough for the NHL roster...When there's an Ehrhoff for free on waivers.

Didn't even put in a claim. :shakehead:

I mean, Ehrhoff has clearly fallen way off in his play...but i'd still easily take him and the slim chance that he can get things at least somewhat back on track playing with the Sedins (whom he had his best years with), and out from under Sutter's thumb in LA. At the very least...i think he'd still be able to play some PP minutes and maybe at least score a goal there, unlike Weber.

And as a cheap, expiring UFA deal...would've added better depth than Weber, at an extremely minimum "risk".

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Thats a good point about Utica being in the playoff hunt. I can see the argument there, because having Utica go on another deep run would be great for a lot of our players (and I imagine if Vans out, and Utica is in Virtanen/McCann would be sent down as well which is ideal).

Not trying to sound argumentative, but have you been following the issue of Jake and Jared playing in the AHL playoffs. It's been stated umpteen times by a host of posters that they are not eligible for the AHL playoffs due to the same reason they couldn't be assigned here any other time during the season, their AGE!

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Not trying to sound argumentative, but have you been following the issue of Jake and Jared playing in the AHL playoffs. It's been stated umpteen times by a host of posters that they are not eligible for the AHL playoffs due to the same reason they couldn't be assigned here any other time during the season, their AGE!

Good to see you back BG!...missed those candid observations about the Canuck prospects in Utica....in the words of the late, great Howard Cosell, we need more posters willing to 'tell like it is':handclap:

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009

Total brain fart on my part. I don't know why I thought that for a second (those AHL eligibility rules are so garbage its hard to keep track of which players are/aren't eligible). I thought they were eligible the same way they were last year once their season was over.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead

Good to see you back BG!

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
You could be right...but here's the problem I have...what Canucks management is essentially saying to Utica players is that since the guys we call up are going to be wearing practice jerseys and logging pressbox time anyway, it really doesn't matter who we call up...not a great message to kids who are busting their butts down there and dreaming of a chance to play in the NHL.

Well in the case of Frissen is a reward since he's getting NHL money while he's in the press box. He did kinda earn the reward given his work ethic. In the case of Weber its really just an extra body and realistically he has experience in the role of 7th/extra Dman. Not everyone can actually sit for a week or longer than jump into a game. Its not exactly easy to do but its something Weber is used to doing so him filling that role is likely better than Pedan (again the assumption is Weber not actually called up to play but rather as backup).

Of course with the current management, trying to guess their thought process is anything but easy. The logical choice is rarely what Benning does so its really hard to predict what his thought process is. We'll just have to wait and see.

Edit: Other thing to note, Utica is probably playing their best hockey right now and if they want to make the playoffs... might not want to mess with whats going on there. They just jumped into a playoff spots after being on the border pretty much all season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad