Recalled/Assigned: Canucks recall F Alex Friesen & D Yannick Weber

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
Friesen is an interesting call-up. Not Shinkaruk or Gaunce, but an underperforming center? Not even Zalewski either, who I thought did alright in his call-up.

Can they not just play McCann?

yeah makes no sense since as usually

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
yeah makes no sense since as usually

Honestly, Friesan is a non-prospect at this point. Why bother calling him up when your younger/higher upside prospects are playing so well?

Your leading scorers on the comets are
- Shinkaruk
- Gaunce
- Subban

Could you have not given them a cup of coffee at the NHL level? I mean I imagine Shinkaruk/Gaunce make the team next year so why not get their feet wet at the NHL level now?

Domecile

Opinion != Fact
Jul 9, 2014
Delta
Honestly, Friesan is a non-prospect at this point. Why bother calling him up when your younger/higher upside prospects are playing so well?

Your leading scorers on the comets are
- Shinkaruk
- Gaunce
- Subban

Could you have not given them a cup of coffee at the NHL level? I mean I imagine Shinkaruk/Gaunce make the team next year so why not get their feet wet at the NHL level now?

Where's the benefit of taking them out of their current positions where they are getting regular minutes and are finding success? Does putting them onto a mediocre NHL team at the bottom of the depth chart playing half as many minutes sound more appealing? Especially when we've seen how recent callups have been handled by the coach, benched until forced to play them and then playing them 5-6 minutes a night when they do play?

Last edited:

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
I'll always remember in NHL 14 for Xbox Alex Friesen scored 78 goals in the AHL on Be a Gm mode. I traded him for the 3rd OA pick at the draft and picked Ekblad. 3 years later Ekblad had a 79 point season and lost the Norris trophy to wait for it... Weber. Yannick Weber.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Call up to fill a bench spot. Doesn't really matter who it is sitting in the press box.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
Where's the benefit of taking them out of their current positions where they are getting regular minutes and are finding success? Does putting them onto a mediocre NHL team at the bottom of the depth chart playing half as many minutes sound more appealing? Especially when we've seen how recent callups have been handled by the coach, benched until forced to play them and then playing them 5-6 minutes a night when they do play?

Because if prospects play well in Utica, they should be rewarded with NHL experience.

I think its fair to say Shinkaruk and Gaunce both have very good shots at becoming full time NHL'ers next year. They have a combined 3 games NHL experience. How would this be any worse than what we're doing with McCann/Virtanen?

Why wouldn't you want them to get opportunities to play at the NHL level, even if its in a minimal role? They need to get their feet wet, and start getting NHL games. If we're a team thats trying to get younger, these are the players you bring up when you run into injuries.

Shinkaruk and Gaunce at least have a future with this team, unlike Friesen/Weber.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
Call up to fill a bench spot. Doesn't really matter who it is sitting in the press box.

Thats a fair point, but I still think you maybe bring Gaunce up and let him play a couple games in Cracknells spot

Also, if the guy you're calling up is Weber... can Jordan Subban really be any worse?

I just think this is a good chance to dangle a carrot infront of those 3 prospects noses considering they have legit shots at being on the team next year (Shink/Gaunce/Subban)

I mean, we've heard management argue all year how important they think it is for guys to be around NHL locker rooms... this is a good chance to incorporate 3 of your more well regarded prospects.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I don't get to see much game action any more, so can one of the Weber-bashers explain to me – in normal, information-conveying terms rather than angry Internet-speak – why he is so terrible when the numbers suggest he is, at worst, still more effective than three defensemen on the roster?

Well if you are going to limit an evaluation of a player to those numbers, then you should know those same numbers also suggest Virtanen has been our best forward this season... So it kinda puts into perspective the stats' limitations.. and that there may be a contextual issue, or the sample of numbers chosen to cite may not be indicative of reality on its own.

Back to Weber... he was playing with a complete lack of confidence and consistently making sub-par decisions with the puck. Just little things like puck bobbles and flubbing passes, or failing to get the puck out... It was not the same player we saw the last 1/3rd of last season.
He's got the ability to play clean and be reliable... we've seen him play that well.. but he hasn't this yr... yet.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Back to Weber... he was playing with a complete lack of confidence and consistently making sub-par decisions with the puck. Just little things like puck bobbles and flubbing passes, or failing to get the puck out... It was not the same player we saw the last 1/3rd of last season.
He's got the ability to play clean and be reliable... we've seen him play that well.. but he hasn't this yr... yet.
But this is really style over substance. He's not having a great year in absolute terms, but regardless of bobbling or specific mistakes, the team still appears to be performing better -- in a non-negligible sample size, with more than one partner considered (and usage not comparable to a rookie forward, either) -- with him than several of the alternatives. Again, I don't get to see much live game action any more, but it seems to me that whatever shortcomings are in his game, he has given the team a better chance to outscore their opponent than guys ahead of him in the depth chart.

Domecile

Opinion != Fact
Jul 9, 2014
Delta
Because if prospects play well in Utica, they should be rewarded with NHL experience.

I think its fair to say Shinkaruk and Gaunce both have very good shots at becoming full time NHL'ers next year. They have a combined 3 games NHL experience. How would this be any worse than what we're doing with McCann/Virtanen?

Why wouldn't you want them to get opportunities to play at the NHL level, even if its in a minimal role? They need to get their feet wet, and start getting NHL games. If we're a team thats trying to get younger, these are the players you bring up when you run into injuries.

Shinkaruk and Gaunce at least have a future with this team, unlike Friesen/Weber.

The reason why it's done with McCann and Virtanen is because they do not have the same luxury that Gaunce, Shinkaruk and Subban have of being able to play with the farm team at the AHL and therefore need to be with the NHL team if they were to have a direct hand from the organization involved with their coaching and development that they otherwise wouldn't receive with their junior clubs.

This is just my opinion, but I don't believe that having them come up to Vancouver for a couple of weeks to fly around with the team on the road and join in on practices while watching games from the pressbox is a better option for their long term success than I do having them remain in Utica where they are important pieces to their team and are currently playing premium minutes in prominent roles in a competitive league like the AHL. Which is exactly why I think calling up the players like Friesen and Weber who you don't care about and who won't be around next season makes sense.

I also think anything that works towards the success of the Canucks team this year like bringing in someone who can potentially score and win games like Shinkaruk is counter intuitive to the ongoing "team tank" which wants to see this team free fall into a top 5 draft selection which is why I'm also really surprised to see people who are likely full on board with that plan suggesting he be called up as well.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
But this is really style over substance. He's not having a great year in absolute terms, but regardless of bobbling or specific mistakes, the team still appears to be performing better -- in a non-negligible sample size, with more than one partner considered (and usage not comparable to a rookie forward, either) -- with him than several of the alternatives. Again, I don't get to see much live game action any more, but it seems to me that whatever shortcomings are in his game, he has given the team a better chance to outscore their opponent than guys ahead of him in the depth chart.

Yeah, you definitely didn't get that feeling about him at all watching him play.

But hopefully this spurs a little something in him.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
The reason why it's done with McCann and Virtanen is because they do not have the same luxury that Gaunce, Shinkaruk and Subban have of being able to play with the farm team at the AHL and therefore need to be with the NHL team if they were to have a direct hand from the organization involved with their coaching and development that they otherwise wouldn't receive with their junior clubs.

This is just my opinion, but I don't believe that having them come up to Vancouver for a couple of weeks to fly around with the team on the road and join in on practices while watching games from the pressbox is a better option for their long term success than I do having them remain in Utica where they are important pieces to their team and are currently playing premium minutes in prominent roles in a competitive league like the AHL. Which is exactly why I think calling up the players like Friesen and Weber who you don't care about and who won't be around next season makes sense.

I also think anything that works towards the success of the Canucks team this year like bringing in someone who can potentially score and win games like Shinkaruk is counter intuitive to the ongoing "team tank" which wants to see this team free fall into a top 5 draft selection which is why I'm also really surprised to see people who are likely full on board with that plan suggesting he be called up as well.

I also don't see the value in prospects essentially just travelling with the team and sitting in the press box. We agree.

My argument is though, Shinkaruk/Gaunce have earned call ups, they've done everything in their power to earn call ups. Put Cracknell in the press box and let Gaunce get a few games with the big club. I think an argument could be made that Gaunce is probably a better player than Cracknell at this point (or at least just as good).

I can understand the argument for bringing in non-prospects if they are going to sit on the bench.. but to me this looks like a good opportunity to start incorporating more youth into the lineup.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

You would have a point but the team has clearly shown that they use call ups to keep a warm body in the press box in case of injury, not to give them NHL playing time. As the team still has 13 healthy forward and 6 healthy dmen, the current call ups will likely not play.

I'd say the ideal time to call up Shinkaruk/Gaunce/Subban is if we sell some pieces at the deadline creating a full time spot... but you also have to balance whether or not you want these guys to have some AHL playoff experience. I believe the Comets are on the bubble for the playoffs take away their best players and they probably don't make it.

For next season though I doubt it will happen but I'd definitely rather see Shinkaruk and Gaunce on the Canucks and Virtanen and McCann in Utica.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
You would have a point but the team has clearly shown that they use call ups to keep a warm body in the press box in case of injury, not to give them NHL playing time. As the team still has 13 healthy forward and 6 healthy dmen, the current call ups will likely not play.

I'd say the ideal time to call up Shinkaruk/Gaunce/Subban is if we sell some pieces at the deadline creating a full time spot... but you also have to balance whether or not you want these guys to have some AHL playoff experience. I believe the Comets are on the bubble for the playoffs take away their best players and they probably don't make it.

For next season though I doubt it will happen but I'd definitely rather see Shinkaruk and Gaunce on the Canucks and Virtanen and McCann in Utica.

Neither Hunter or Gaunce is ready for the NHL, not even close. They are much better off continuing to develop under Travis Green in Utica.

Neither will be ready next year.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Weber is a UFA in July and has already been on waivers with no takers...there's absolutely no way on God's Green Earth they're re-signing him in the offseason....so tell me again why's it's a good idea to recall him from Utica instead of guys like Pedan, Fedun or even Subban, who might be able to do something on that pathetic pp?..and Friesen?...a hardworking kid but with limited NHL upside...but why not Gaunce and Shinkaruk who've been far more productive, or even Zalewski, who was impressive in limited viewing...this management group in VanCity just drives you crazy.

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
Weber is a UFA in July and has already been on waivers with no takers...there's absolutely no way on God's Green Earth they're re-signing him in the offseason....so tell me again why's it's a good idea to recall him from Utica instead of guys like Pedan, Fedun or even Subban, who might be able to do something on that pathetic pp?..and Friesen?...a hardworking kid but with limited NHL upside...but why not Gaunce and Shinkaruk who've been far more productive, or even Zalewski, who was impressive in limited viewing...this management group in VanCity just drives you crazy.

I obviously don't know what goes on behind the scenes, but it could well be that they believe players like Shinkaruk, Guance, and Pedan are better off playing meaningful minutes in Utica, even at the expense of the big club.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Got a feeling Friesen's call up is just a reward for him (in terms of $) and doubt he'll actually see any action unless someone can't go @ game time. Basically an extra body very unlikely to play so i'm fine with this call up.

Weber callup is meh but again its likely to sit and Weber is used to that role. If he plays however i'll be disappointed. Both moves likely are more for practice/press box. If he has to play... well Weber might be our next best Dman (debatable, personally i prefer Pedan). Long term it makes more sense for Pedan to play than sit so calling up Weber to sit actually makes sense in that regard.

We have fill in already for both injuries so the call up are likely just back-up pending another injury. We only have 1 set of back to back in the near future/before the deadline so realistically if we needed someone to play instead of sit, we should have enough time to call someone else up.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
Neither Hunter or Gaunce is ready for the NHL, not even close. They are much better off continuing to develop under Travis Green in Utica.

Neither will be ready next year.

How can you say this with such certainty?

I mean, I don't think anyone is saying their locks, but they have a very legitimate shot at being on the big club next year.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009

Thats a good point about Utica being in the playoff hunt. I can see the argument there, because having Utica go on another deep run would be great for a lot of our players (and I imagine if Vans out, and Utica is in Virtanen/McCann would be sent down as well which is ideal).

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Got a feeling Friesen's call up is just a reward for him (in terms of $) and doubt he'll actually see any action unless someone can't go @ game time. Basically an extra body very unlikely to play so i'm fine with this call up.

Weber callup is meh but again its likely to sit and Weber is used to that role. If he plays however i'll be disappointed. Both moves likely are more for practice/press box. If he has to play... well Weber might be our next best Dman (debatable, personally i prefer Pedan). Long term it makes more sense for Pedan to play than sit so calling up Weber to sit actually makes sense in that regard.

We have fill in already for both injuries so the call up are likely just back-up pending another injury. We only have 1 set of back to back in the near future/before the deadline so realistically if we needed someone to play instead of sit, we should have enough time to call someone else up.

You could be right...but here's the problem I have...what Canucks management is essentially saying to Utica players is that since the guys we call up are going to be wearing practice jerseys and logging pressbox time anyway, it really doesn't matter who we call up...not a great message to kids who are busting their butts down there and dreaming of a chance to play in the NHL.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
How can you say this with such certainty?

I mean, I don't think anyone is saying their locks, but they have a very legitimate shot at being on the big club next year.

I can't say it with certainty, anymore than you can say with certainty they have a legitimate shot on the big club next year.

Not trying to be argumentative but IMO they simply need much more top 6 minutes at the AHL level. Hunter's play along the boards and in the corners is weak. Not from lack of effort but from lack of strength and speed.

Gaunce needs to work on his skating and turning. While people are wildly enthusiastic over his stats the last 2 games, Travis Green stated on the pre game show the other night that with Gaunce, it is all about baby steps. Otherwise, you'll have a McCann and Virtanin situation with theses 2. Better off having them getting minutes and develop here. Play some playoff games, gain confidence and become leaders.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad