Recalled/Assigned: Canucks recall D Jett Woo from Abbotsford

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Strongly disagree here.

Soucy has been terrific and the two injuries that have caused him to miss most of the season have been bad-luck broken bones off shot blocks.

Nothing like Sutter who started poorly and then had all kinds of ongoing abdominal issues.

Soucy's season is just unlucky and I don't think that anything that's happens projects forward to future concerns.
Terrific in what 14-15 games of 53. He's had a few duds and meh games as well and has only played 21? I mean sure he looks like a better target and should be good value for his contract if he can ever get healthy but so far he's having the Canuck luck and being unable to help this team after a sizeable investment.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Terrific in what 14-15 games of 53. He's had a few duds and meh games as well and has only played 21? I mean sure he looks like a better target and should be good value for his contract if he can ever get healthy but so far he's having the Canuck luck and being unable to help this team after a sizeable investment.

To me he's been pretty consistently excellent when he's played. Nobody is perfect every game but he was extremely reliable and a very stabilizing influence.

And again, you just can't do anything about getting hit by a shot and breaking a bone. It's a freak injury and it's been doubly unlucky that it's happened twice. Quinn Hughes could have had the same thing happen in October. It can happen to anyone and it isn't the player's fault, and doesn't mean he's more likely to miss games in the future.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
Juulsen was looking really rough at the beginning of the season, but our coaches gave him a lot of rope (and teachings) to turn him into a serviceable bottom pairing NHL dman. Would love to see Woo given a good chance as well.

Reactions: Wry n Ginger

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
To me he's been pretty consistently excellent when he's played. Nobody is perfect every game but he was extremely reliable and a very stabilizing influence.

And again, you just can't do anything about getting hit by a shot and breaking a bone. It's a freak injury and it's been doubly unlucky that it's happened twice. Quinn Hughes could have had the same thing happen in October. It can happen to anyone and it isn't the player's fault, and doesn't mean he's more likely to miss games in the future.
i mean fair enough i get your point. I do think he's had a few games where he looked mistake prone but he's a quality 4/5 guy on a good contract

Comp was more about former healthy player gets term and then is IR as a Canuck

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
i mean fair enough i get your point. I do think he's had a few games where he looked mistake prone but he's a quality 4/5 guy on a good contract

Comp was more about former healthy player gets term and then is IR as a Canuck

I always try to draw a huge point of differentiation between chronic knee/back/groin/abdominal injuries that tend to re-occur and also just make the player worse once they're a problem and the sort of freak one-off broken bones/skate cuts which are just bad luck and don't pose a risk of recurrence* and are generally relatively easy to recover from.

*excluding Salo, Sami

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Soucy was a great add to the team. Incredibly solid player.
swap "incredibly solid" for "injured" and "great add" to "should be a great add when healthy" and i'm with ya. So far he's done fxxx all. Were lucky we were able to get Zadorov or it would have been a bigger issue

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
swap "incredibly solid" for "injured" and "great add" to "should be a great add when healthy" and i'm with ya. So far he's done fxxx all. Were lucky we were able to get Zadorov or it would have been a bigger issue
I am genuinely shocked to see someone complaining about Soucy. He's been great value for his contract so far—and the injuries that he has had have been of the bad-luck variety rather than anything chronic. Considering how healthy our entire roster has been this year, it's just a bad break that he's been the victim of a bad bounce twice.

If anything—I'm curious to see how long management will milk his knuckle injury. I wonder if they would consider LTIRing him all the way to the playoffs and load up on another big-ticket asset before

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I am genuinely shocked to see someone complaining about Soucy. He's been great value for his contract so far—and the injuries that he has had have been of the bad-luck variety rather than anything chronic. Considering how healthy our entire roster has been this year, it's just a bad break that he's been the victim of a bad bounce twice.

If anything—I'm curious to see how long management will milk his knuckle injury. I wonder if they would consider LTIRing him all the way to the playoffs and load up on another big-ticket asset before
i'm not complaining just being real about what he's done to date. "Great Value" is not 21 games 6pts 17:25 of ice time for 3.25 million

was happy to get him happy to have him just want him to get healthy and contribute not be sitting out the rest of the year when we're moving a mountain of assets to go on a run.

Everything comes at a cost. I would loathe to give up more big ticket asset price tags when one could be helping us if healthy.

Reactions: F A N

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
The Canucks only have 6 healthy defensemen on the roster so makes sense they'd want to add another in case someone else gets injured.

I can't see them taking Friedman out of the lineup after he's sat so long.

Reactions: iceburg

dez

Mar 3, 2012
May as well see what Woo has to offer, they probably have seen enough of Friedman, he is what he is, not much improvement left in his game.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
giphy.gif
As a Mariners fan, I’ve used this gif so many times for Bryan Woo and now the Canucks have given me a reason to use it too.

IMG_0206.jpeg

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
May as well see what Woo has to offer, they probably have seen enough of Friedman, he is what he is, not much improvement left in his game.

If they're going to play Woo over Friedman the right thing to do would be to trade him or put him on waivers.

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
Maybe they will try and showcase Woo. Maybe a team is interested, but wants to see him at the NHL level?

Or probably not… lol

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Excited to see Jett Woo get a chance, been a little bit of a rocky year but he has promise as a bottom pairing physical D

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
My speculation in order of likelihood:

1. With Soucy on IR and Zadorov out one more game they want to have a 7th D-man available in case one of the other D-men can't go (Hronek?).
2. Want to give Woo a look to see what they have at the NHL level in case one of the RHD roster players (Myers, Juulsen, Friedman) or Woo are part of a trade package moving out.
3. Trade imminent and need to bridge the transaction.

That said, I see the odds of each being: 80/15/5

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I think it was absolutely pathetic he only had that whooping 1 pre season game where he was a -5 with an AHL squad lined up against virtually 80% of Calgary’s opening day line up.

I hope he gets a proper look. Most importantly, I hope he shows he’s capable of taking that next step for next season as a 6th/7th defenseman.

Reactions: CanuckleBerry

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I think he’s recalled to be an extra body for practice. Have him expierence time in the nhl and practice with the big club. Unlikely he gets any games as Zadorov is back this Thursday .

Reactions: Diversification

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad