Recalled/Assigned: Canucks recall D Jack Rathbone (Apr 16)

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
See. I think this is the issue. One poster said, and I quote “it wasn’t positive” and people took that to him/her saying “he would not sign because of a close relationship”. Everyone keeps amping up minor thoughts to extreme arguments.

tho.. let’s discuss him now! Ideal partner? Where could he fit in?

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
I've been very happy with what I've seen from him over the past couple of years at Harvard. Super pumped to have him signed.

ab67616d0000b27300f6add774da4717e55d9fd6

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Very pleased. Think he was our top D prospect. Still need some more young guys to pan out but this is a great first step. Hoping he makes the team out of camp for the 2020-2021 season.

He was definitely rated as such by a few sources, so it's pretty cool to have him signed up.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
So happy about this signing. I really didn't think Benning was going to pull this off. Specially with the rumored ties to Brackett, and the rumblings of him wanting to play near Boston. Very, very, happy. I think Rathbone will become a mainstay on this blueline for a very long time. He has all of the tools to become a very useful defenseman in all facets of the game.
I'm a very happy camper, I thought we were going to lose him.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
So happy about this signing. I really didn't think Benning was going to pull this off. Specially with the rumored ties to Brackett, and the rumblings of him wanting to play near Boston. Very, very, happy. I think Rathbone will become a mainstay on this blueline for a very long time. He has all of the tools to become a very useful defenseman in all facets of the game.
I'm a very happy camper, I thought we were going to lose him.
Probably helps when guys who pick their spots like vesey, Kerfoot get traded while in their rfa years. Thus reinforces that once signed there is no guarantee that you will be there long.

the Brackett connection was overplayed by media and posters here.

no logic behind it. What influence would Brackett have that would allow Any player to make the roster?

different if we were talking about a GM or One of the coaches. But the head of the amateur scouting dept? Please...

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Probably helps when guys who pick their spots like vesey, Kerfoot get traded while in their rfa years. Thus reinforces that once signed there is no guarantee that you will be there long.

the Brackett connection was overplayed by media and posters here.

no logic behind it. What influence would Brackett have that would allow Any player to make the roster?

different if we were talking about a GM or One of the coaches. But the head of the amateur scouting dept? Please...
Reading now about how Demko is close friends with Rathbone.

Reactions: zcaptain

lawrence

May 19, 2012
we weren't going to sign Boeser
we weren't going to sign Gaudette.
we weren't going to sign Demko
we weren't going to sign Lockwood
we weren't going to sign Rathbone

whoever thought of this is 0 for 5 right now! Canucks always gets this done, and whichever college player not sign with their drafted team, despite it being a possibility its actually quite rare.

I always knew we are not going to lose out on a college prospect if we want to sign them. Won't happen to us for the time being.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
I never had a doubt it wouldn’t get done, now we can relax until Podkolzin is due to come over and watch Hughes and Rathbone Be the anchors of our left side for the next 10 years

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
What can change in 24-48 hours really?

1) Ivy League not playing games for rest of 2020.
2) Ivy League unknown when or if games will be played in 2021
3) AHL unknown when their season begins as they need fans unless the NhL clubs are helping to foot salaries.
4) NHL will try to play games beginning in January next season.

none of that changed.

Really just a matter or risk for Jack. If he returns to school unknown when he next plays competitive hockey. Could be 9 months or 18 depending on the Ivy League. Pro leagues will do whatever they can to play next season. At his age and with 61 NCAA games under his belt if he doesn’t play until next September does that bode well for his future. That’s ultimately the decision He had to make.

Yeah I don't think you can discount the Robinson report. I just don't think he is the kind of guy to make that up. Also, where were these positive relationships with Higgins and others in the last months? Not a peep until after he was signed. So give props to Benning for getting this done.

Having said that, without covid there wasn't much upside for him to make this signing since he could finish his education and call his shot while still playing hockey.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I trust the Utica posters, so I think Rathbone becomes even more important as a signing since I see Rafferty needing a bunch more time to develop defensively.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Huge Boner!

I mean... big signing! :D

A bit of a pleasant surprise though. Give credit to Benning for getting this done. Looking forward to seeing how he does as a pro.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Hahah nailed it. It really does seem to be always about taking innocuous opinions and exaggerating them to ridiculous heights. I guess we should all reel that in.

Great news today either way!

Anyone know what # he may wear ?
Aren’t you famous?

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
we weren't going to sign Boeser
we weren't going to sign Gaudette.
we weren't going to sign Demko
we weren't going to sign Lockwood
we weren't going to sign Rathbone

whoever thought of this is 0 for 5 right now! Canucks always gets this done, and whichever college player not sign with their drafted team, despite it being a possibility its actually quite rare.

I always knew we are not going to lose out on a college prospect if we want to sign them. Won't happen to us for the time being.
The rate of colleges players who finished their 4 years degree and signed as a FA who went on to become a good nhl player is....not high believe or not

Nov 1, 2011
Next year:

Hughes - Tanev/UFA
Elder - Myers
Rathbone/Benn - Trayamkin/Stecher

Whoever loses 3rd pair spots become spares/trade bait.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yeah I don't think you can discount the Robinson report. I just don't think he is the kind of guy to make that up. Also, where were these positive relationships with Higgins and others in the last months? Not a peep until after he was signed. So give props to Benning for getting this done.

Having said that, without covid there wasn't much upside for him to make this signing since he could finish his education and call his shot while still playing hockey.
Rathbone decision can change but What I’m saying is that the facts didn’t change in the past two days.

he just had to decide what the best option for him was.

Reactions: mossey3535

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad