Recalled/Assigned: Canucks recall D Jack Rathbone (Apr 16)

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Funny enough, "the coach" has played Jordie Benn on his offside.
And complimented him. Saying most playing their off side end up playing puck up the middle too much but Benn did not. If course it took a year before he played him there even though it was know as his strong side before.

Reactions: F A N and MarkMM

Nazzlind

Sep 9, 2010
Lower Mainland
And complimented him. Saying most playing their off side end up playing puck up the middle too much but Benn did not. If course it took a year before he played him there even though it was know as his strong side before.
well during his first year, he was competing with Tanev, Stecher and Myers for an RD spot. All 3 of them missed literally 1 game between them so there wasn't really an opportunity for Benn to play the RD.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I had never heard this before. Interesting.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Rathbone will go head to head with Juolevi and Hunt to see who sticks in a 6-7 depth role on the blueline.

But if the pp struggles early on, I really hope Green doesn't beat a dead horse by playing OEL to death. I suspect that if Rathbone ever gets time on even the second unit pp, they'll never be able to get him off of it.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
well during his first year, he was competing with Tanev, Stecher and Myers for an RD spot. All 3 of them missed literally 1 game between them so there wasn't really an opportunity for Benn to play the RD.
During his first year as a Canuck, he got outplayed for a roster spot by a career journeyman minor leaguer in Fanta. Good thing we didn’t have to resort in using him to play that other side.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
During his first year as a Canuck, he got outplayed for a roster spot by a career journeyman minor leaguer in Fanta. Good thing we didn’t have to resort in using him to play that other side.

I wouldn't call Fanta a minor leaguer. He has only played in 27 AHL games. There were also zero seasons where he played more AHL than NHL games.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I see in the early Calder Trophy handicapping, Rathbone is nowhere to be found. But I wouldn't sleep on him. If he manages to find his way on to the second unit pp early in the season, look out.

It's hard for d-men to win the Calder, particularly guys picked in the fourth round. And voters tend to be blinded by point totals. So some 18-19 kid on a bad lottery team will often win it because they're gifted ice-time and power play time on a team going nowhere, but trying to sell fans on the future.

So in order to get any consideration, Rathbone will have to wrack up the points. Really hope he makes it impossible for Green to take him off the second unit pp.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Thoughts on Rathbones play this season. Is he best playing low minutes in the NHL, or should he be sent down to Abbotsford to play bigger minutes and develop?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Rathbone had a strong game tonight in the loss to the Oilers......you can see that he finds open space with the puck and was skating miles tonight. Ridiculous in my mind that he's sitting out games. Even when he has an off night, he's still learning. And of course Green has yet to find a truly reliable partner for him.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Rathbone should be playing in the NHL for sure, injuries will happen and he’ll be bumped up. Sheltering him a bit isn’t a bad thing at all

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I'm good with him getting some time in Abby. Said during TC that being a 20+ minute all situations guy for a stint will benefit him. Feel he's been up amd down so far this season, enough ups to still have lots of optimism for the player, but also enough downs that I can see how being a #1 work horse on the farm is time well spent.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Good for Abbotsford. Probably good for Rathbone. Makes the Canucks worse since Rathbone is the same style player as Hunt but better at every aspect of hockey.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Not a huge problem with this. Jack has been okay at the NHL level, but there are definitely things he can work on in the AHL and hopefully develop into more of an all-situations defenseman.

I don't expect Hamonic to really help the club at all, but that's whatever.

48MPHSlapShot

Nov 3, 2018
With the departure of Rathbone, I believe that makes Hunt our everyday, left side, third pairing D-man. Think about it.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Having him play huge minutes is good for him. Having Hunt as a starter is not good for us.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
In last night's game, Green and the Canucks apparently felt that pairing Hamonic with Schenn, who was forced to play on his off-left-side, was a better option than keeping Rathbone in the lineup. Predictably that pairing coughed up a breakaway to the Rangers in the first minute of the game. Hamonic missed all of training camp and played one game in Abbotsford.

You wonder sometimes if Green is trying to lose, or is he really that clueless?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Speculation is that he's been called up by the Canucks, because there didn't seem to be any sign of an injury. He just suddenly disappeared from the bench.

You know I'd really like to see them a try a third pairing of Hamonic and Rathbone and stick with it for awhile. A stay-at-home guy on the right side, paired with a guy who can lead a rush up the ice and has a bomb from the point.

And they've got to do something with Burroughs.....looks to me like he's hit the wall and could use some time in Abbotsford. But to be fair, they've been forcing him to play his wrong side which has really handicapped him.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Speculation is that he's been called up by the Canucks, because there didn't seem to be any sign of an injury. He just suddenly disappeared from the bench.

You know I'd really like to see them a try a third pairing of Hamonic and Rathbone and stick with it for awhile. A stay-at-home guy on the right side, paired with a guy who can lead a rush up the ice and has a bomb from the point.

And they've got to do something with Burroughs.....looks to me like he's hit the wall and could use some time in Abbotsford. But to be fair, they've been forcing him to play his wrong side which has really handicapped him.
He was injured in the second period brother Jack

Reactions: Lindgren

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad