Confirmed with Link: Canucks Re-Signs F Zack Kassian to a 2-Year, $3.5M Deal ($1.75AAV)

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
while its good that he is getting RIPPED being buff doesnt mean you will be a better player, or raitis ivanans would be better than gretzky!

That's clearly strength training and not even about being ripped.

And in regards to being ripped. that Kes ESPN photo thing showed that he was very ripped and of course is a great player.

Kassian's off season workout seems to be along the lines of improving his upper body strength so he can overpower people around the net.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I think we're getting close to cleanly winning the trade. This season is huge.

Hardly. Hodgson is, at the very least, a top 6 forward. If Kassian has a solid year then we could get close to breaking even and this isn't even considering the fact that Hodgson would have been more useful during our more competitive years

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Hardly. Hodgson is, at the very least, a top 6 forward. If Kassian has a solid year then we could get close to breaking even and this isn't even considering the fact that Hodgson would have been more useful during our more competitive years

Yes. I was very critical of the trade because I felt like we were selling the now...Hodgson was a contributing player and any time a pick of ours pans out on our team, we as fans get excited. In fact CoHo was the only Gillis pick that had or has panned out thus far...but Kassian is a beast. He could be a top 6 power forward...which not a lot of good teams can say they have. The only problem is their peak is usually pretty narrow. We ought to build around Kassian's peak which will be there in 2-3 years.

And you nostalgia mongerers will like when I say we need a good 2-way centre for our WCE v2.0 with Virtanen and Kassian.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010

In order to earn a spot as a top 6 forward on the worst team in the league, Hodgson needs to prove himself at wing, something he failed terribly at before. In my mind, Kassian is already clearly the better player of the two, even if he never puts up as many points. I bet all 16 playoff teams would take Kassian before they took Hodgson - even ignoring contracts.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
In order to earn a spot as a top 6 forward on the worst team in the league, Hodgson needs to prove himself at wing, something he failed terribly at before. In my mind, Kassian is already clearly the better player of the two, even if he never puts up as many points. I bet all 16 playoff teams would take Kassian before they took Hodgson - even ignoring contracts.

Very true.
I bet buffalo would rather have kassian on their team too

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
while its good that he is getting RIPPED being buff doesnt mean you will be a better player, or raitis ivanans would be better than gretzky!
No but for a player who's commitment to preparation has been questioned in the past, and who's game is greatly enhanced by his strength, it's a very positive sign.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Torts was great for Kassian.

I agree.
He may not have played him as much as many of us would have liked, but Kassian improved more this past season (and seemed to mature by seasons end) then in the entire time he's been a pro.

We stand to benefit a great deal this season by his development, and a good deal of that development comes from Tort's.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Yes. I was very critical of the trade because I felt like we were selling the now...Hodgson was a contributing player and any time a pick of ours pans out on our team, we as fans get excited. In fact CoHo was the only Gillis pick that had or has panned out thus far...but Kassian is a beast. He could be a top 6 power forward...which not a lot of good teams can say they have. The only problem is their peak is usually pretty narrow. We ought to build around Kassian's peak which will be there in 2-3 years.

And you nostalgia mongerers will like when I say we need a good 2-way centre for our WCE v2.0 with Virtanen and Kassian.
If that's what you're going after, Horvat already fits in there like a glove.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Torts was great for Kassian.

Agreed. So many Canucks fans are keen to pin everything related to the Canucks steady multi-year decline and disassembly solely on Torts' coaching last year, as if the team was still in 2011 form and if he wasn't hellbent on crushing fans' dreams they would have been playing in the Conference Finals, and could be right back there now that inexperienced replacements have been installed at almost all levels of the organization.

Torts was a cancer for everyone. Give him credit for Kassian's work if you want, but to me Kassian grew in spite of him.

LOL

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Agreed. So many Canucks fans are keen to pin everything related to the Canucks steady multi-year decline and disassembly solely on Torts' coaching last year, as if the team was still in 2011 form and if he wasn't hellbent on crushing fans' dreams they would have been playing in the Conference Finals, and could be right back there now that inexperienced replacements have been installed at almost all levels of the organization.

LOL
I don't know, I think you could visibly see the point where Torts lost the room completely by making a fool of himself, punctuated by the dressing room thing. Now, that's as much of a shot at how feable and sensitive our players are mentally, but Torts was clearly the guy who started the downward spiral, IMO.

It certainly wasn't a case where the talent level of the team just naturally created such a poor year. Injuries are a much better excuse than that.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
I don't know, I think you could visibly see the point where Torts lost the room completely by making a fool of himself, punctuated by the dressing room thing. Now, that's as much of a shot at how feable and sensitive our players are mentally, but Torts was clearly the guy who started the downward spiral, IMO.

It certainly wasn't a case where the talent level of the team just naturally created such a poor year. Injuries are a much better excuse than that.

I agree about the circus, but I think the poor year was also a byproduct of much tougher competition, injuries, decline in talent, degraded offensive and defensive depth, a lack of 2 proven #1 goaltenders sharing duty, and the lack of even having one proven #1 goaltender to finish the season.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I agree about the circus, but I think the poor year was also a byproduct of much tougher competition, injuries, decline in talent, degraded offensive and defensive depth, a lack of 2 proven #1 goaltenders sharing duty, and the lack of even having one proven #1 goaltender to finish the season.
The reason I have to put Torterella in there is because the team looked visibly listless/uncaring and annoyed with him in the second half of the year.

I agree with most of your factors, besides maybe the goaltender thing-- That happened after the spiral began, didn't it?

Calgary looked like a much more focused, competitive team than we did in the second half, playing in the same conference. I don't think think our talent alone degraded to quite that point, personally. I think coaching is why we started getting beaten up by the bottom end teams as well.

Rex Banner

Custom User Title
Aug 22, 2013

LOL

Quality response LOL.

How about you outline all the things Torts did to make Kassian a better player.

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver

Shinakruk mccann virtanen is a far smexier line

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Really liked what Torts did with Kassian. He used to float around looking lost, just waiting for passes. Was weak on the puck, weak on the cycle, didn't play physical. By 2014, things started to click. He was playing with guys like Booth and Richardson, worked well together, but Kass was the clear leader of the line. He was forced to run the show. He would get the puck himself, gain the zone and start plays. Was much better on the rush, and was quarterbacking things later on when he got some PP time. Should pay dividends, and think he'll hit the ground running this year.

Can't blame Torts for everything, plenty of guys had, or atleast were having good years pre-injuries. Most of the players that sucked, had been doing so for a long time before Torts came round.

Anyone expecting Edler to start playing defense, or Danny to pot 30 all cuz of a new coach... probably in for a rude awakening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad