Confirmed with Link: Canucks Re-Signs F Zack Kassian to a 2-Year, $3.5M Deal ($1.75AAV)

Rex Banner

Custom User Title
Aug 22, 2013
I think Kassian is reluctant to throw hits since he's already been suspended a few times.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
I have to admit that despite not being a fan of his even as recently as the beginning of last year, I think the Canucks are developing him perfectly and am excited for his season coming up. I think it could be a break out kind of year, particularly as he should see more PP time.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
I agree on this should be his break out year, he has proven he can fulfill a top six position when given the opportunity, and has done well playing with scrubs when not up there.

Next season will be a lot of Kassian progress watching for me

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
give Kassian more pp time and keep him away from the Sedins 5on5. The guy wants the puck on his stick. Let him have it.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Kassian - Bonino - Vrbata
Higgins - Horvat - Vey
Matthias - Richardson - Hansen/Dorsett

Kassian shot a sick goal for the blueline on the LW once hopefully he can play that cause thats how I would like the lineup.

WhiteCurse

Jan 4, 2013
Canada VI
Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Kassian - Bonino - Vrbata
Higgins - Horvat - Vey
Matthias - Richardson - Hansen/Dorsett

Kassian shot a sick goal for the blueline on the LW once hopefully he can play that cause thats how I would like the lineup.

He plays RW why move him when he has just started finding his game makes no sense at all

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
He plays RW why move him when he has just started finding his game makes no sense at all

I would switch Vrbata and Burrows, then switch Burrows and Kass around. I'm sure Burrows could switch easily, but Kassian, probably not.

groov2

Apr 11, 2014
Vancouver

Some players find it easy to switch sides, some feel like they are playing a completely different sport. If I am the coach, I try him at LW to see how he feels because I think he would be very effective on the LW.

Power forwards can gain advantages playing on their off wing, and especially with his skill sets. Playing on the left would allow him to hold off opposing players with his right arm and doubling his reach driving to the net on the outside. Also, because Kassian is a pass first type player, it would allow him to open up to the full ice (way more vision) to pass on his forehand.

A guy on one of my teams in junior hockey had all kinds of skill but just could not put it together to be a really effective player. Our coach finally decided to put him on defence and teach him how to play the position. He doubled his points as a d-man and was drafted the next season by the Devils. He is a career AHLer now, but hey, good foresight by our coach to maximize his skill sets changed the trajectory of his hockey career.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I think Kassian is really going to break out next year with a 20/20 type season. He showed great strides last year. This year he's going to get a permanent spot in the top-six, so he should be able to take that step.

skywarp75

May 19, 2009
yes i think a lot of us are excited to see the Kassian train gain more momentum this year. His last 20 games he was a fantastic playmaker, its a treat to watch such a big strong player have such vision and cute passes. Hopefully with maturity he'll learn how to control his savage instincts. When he's mad, people get hurt.

WhiteCurse

Jan 4, 2013
Canada VI
Some players find it easy to switch sides, some feel like they are playing a completely different sport. If I am the coach, I try him at LW to see how he feels because I think he would be very effective on the LW.

Power forwards can gain advantages playing on their off wing, and especially with his skill sets. Playing on the left would allow him to hold off opposing players with his right arm and doubling his reach driving to the net on the outside. Also, because Kassian is a pass first type player, it would allow him to open up to the full ice (way more vision) to pass on his forehand.

A guy on one of my teams in junior hockey had all kinds of skill but just could not put it together to be a really effective player. Our coach finally decided to put him on defence and teach him how to play the position. He doubled his points as a d-man and was drafted the next season by the Devils. He is a career AHLer now, but hey, good foresight by our coach to maximize his skill sets changed the trajectory of his hockey career.

I get what your saying, i just see Kassian already past trying this stuff, he isnt a young kid anymore. We need him to be the top six RW its clearly were he is most at home and now its time to start producing

Forever27

Aug 20, 2005
Relevant post on PitB. Really shows how good Kassian was at the end of the year, one of the few bright spots. Of particular note is the goal against the Wild when he manages to outmuscle Coyle after the faceoff, considering that Coyle is just as big as him.

Also considering he was 19th in average ice time last year, I think we're going to see a big season from him this year.

skywarp75

May 19, 2009
Relevant post on PitB. Really shows how good Kassian was at the end of the year, one of the few bright spots. Of particular note is the goal against the Wild when he manages to outmuscle Coyle after the faceoff, considering that Coyle is just as big as him.

Also considering he was 19th in average ice time last year, I think we're going to see a big season from him this year.

Zach has 'other level' strength when compared to people his own size, and he's huge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yz2cpUJmZVs

really I dont think many non goons will ever try to fight him again.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Don't disagree with your points but I wouldn't mess with Kassian's game like that I don't think it will be good for Kassian. Kassian is a natural right winger with a right handed shot. Driving wide against opposing forwards isn't his game. If this was basketball he would be a guy who likes to post up and has a favourite spot.

Kassian is at his best playing a short game. Controlling the puck along the right side of the half boards is where he likes to be. One of his moves is to skate the puck behind the net and pass with his forehand but when protecting the puck he is most comfortable turning right. What makes him a good playmaker for a powerforward is that he can find guys with his backhand. Kassian can make quick body shifts with his body that allows him to see both sides of the ice quickly. If you watch Kassian along the half boards, he loves to pass with his backhand and it's effective because his body shields the puck away from the guy defending him which disguises where he passes to and his release point. On the left side he would not be able to do that and using his forehand would expose the puck more often as he passes. Being a right handed shot, he is also better at finding open spaces on the left side when the puck is on the right and he's not involved.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Kassian has unbelieveable strength. He's not the best fighter on the ice, but he can face up against mid to heavy weight brawlers just with his strength alone.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

I've actually thought about, and mentioned this idea previously. I'd be really curious to see what happens if you give it a try. There are some interesting advantages to it that might apply to Kassian, and maybe it's confirmation bias, but it just seems to me that so much of Kassian's best work tends to come off that left wing, the LW corner/half wall.

The prime example i gave was something like a slower, but meaner Jakub Voracek. That big body off-wing pass-first guy who uses his body to protect the puck and feed it across.

Maybe Kassian has already expressed a disdain for playing that off-wing as he's one of those "stranger in a foreign land" types there, and certainly it wouldn't help him much with what is already a very underwhelming defensive game...but if it were me coaching, i'd give it a shot and see what happens.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Looks like solid value compared to Eller's 3.5 a year for 4 years.

Eller is also a Center who takes key draws, solid defensively, and went absolutely ham in the playoffs, leading the Eastern Conference Finals Habs team in scoring among forwards.

Not really comparables.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
I've actually thought about, and mentioned this idea previously. I'd be really curious to see what happens if you give it a try. There are some interesting advantages to it that might apply to Kassian, and maybe it's confirmation bias, but it just seems to me that so much of Kassian's best work tends to come off that left wing, the LW corner/half wall.

The prime example i gave was something like a slower, but meaner Jakub Voracek. That big body off-wing pass-first guy who uses his body to protect the puck and feed it across.

Maybe Kassian has already expressed a disdain for playing that off-wing as he's one of those "stranger in a foreign land" types there, and certainly it wouldn't help him much with what is already a very underwhelming defensive game...but if it were me coaching, i'd give it a shot and see what happens.

NHL coaches are very reluctant to play anyone on their off side these days. It might make it a little easier in the offensive zone but it makes it much harder to get out of your end and through the neutral zone. Those plays happen more often and tend to be more important.

Kassian is a good passer and can make plays on his backhand… but I'm not sure the juice would be worth the squeeze.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
Kassian is not going to be an energy player. That was never his game. He has always been more of a predatory hitter. I too would like Kassian to up his physical play a bit but not at the expense of his offensive game. I rather Kassian play an all around game put up 55+ using his big body and playmaking skills with the occasional big hits and fights than Kassian trying to hit everything that moves and get into fights if he can't do that an put up points.

I don't necessarily think it would effect his offense. I agree with what you say when you talk about how Kassian generates offense (protect the puck, be a playmaker). He doesn't have to play like a 4th liner and go out of his way to make hits, I just think if he could add a little more tempo to his game when he doesn't have the puck his game would benefit.

Im more referring to when he doesn't have the puck on his stick, I would like to see him be a little more tenacious on the forecheck/active when he doesn't have the puck. If Kassian had the tenacity of a Chris Higgins, he would be a very dangerous player in this league.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
Zach has 'other level' strength when compared to people his own size, and he's huge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yz2cpUJmZVs

really I dont think many non goons will ever try to fight him again.

Its funny, because aesthetically he doesn't look "huge"... but I have stood next to the guy and my first thought was "please don't **** me".

You feel like you're standing next to an orangutan or a caveman.. its kind of weird.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I don't necessarily think it would effect his offense. I agree with what you say when you talk about how Kassian generates offense (protect the puck, be a playmaker). He doesn't have to play like a 4th liner and go out of his way to make hits, I just think if he could add a little more tempo to his game when he doesn't have the puck his game would benefit.

Im more referring to when he doesn't have the puck on his stick, I would like to see him be a little more tenacious on the forecheck/active when he doesn't have the puck. If Kassian had the tenacity of a Chris Higgins, he would be a very dangerous player in this league.

Not disagreeing with you. My point is that some players can add the physical element to their game without affecting other parts while some can't do it. For me, given the choice, I rather Kassian concentrate on being an offensive producer as oppose to crushing guys. But you never know. Kassian was drafted as a potential Lucic like player but his physical game has largely been criticized since he turned pro. Maybe Kassian gets stronger and more comfortable maybe he's just not naturally mean on the ice.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
Not disagreeing with you. My point is that some players can add the physical element to their game without affecting other parts while some can't do it. For me, given the choice, I rather Kassian concentrate on being an offensive producer as oppose to crushing guys. But you never know. Kassian was drafted as a potential Lucic like player but his physical game has largely been criticized since he turned pro. Maybe Kassian gets stronger and more comfortable maybe he's just not naturally mean on the ice.

I think foot speed/conditioning have been a part of this. If you want to make life difficult for a guy like Keith/Doughty you have to be able to keep up with them.

- When Vancouver acquired him, his conditioning was poor
- Management wanted him to lose weight during the offseason

As far as his offensive production/crushing guys goes, I don't think these things are mutually exclusive. I just want him to be a bit more noticeable without the puck the same way Burrows/Hansen/Higgins are. If he doesn't have the puck, I want him to be noticeable on the ice more often.

arsmaster*

That goal against Pittsburgh is so awesome. Gets me everytime.

Timmer44

Mar 3, 2006
Van City

I think Stewart catching him with a solid punch kind of put an end to Kassians willingness to drop the gloves with anyone. He needs to find some technique because the more schooled fighters are having their way with him.

He definitely brings a wildcard to the table. If he puts in 20 goals, he doesn't have to fight the plugs of the league, he can decline and nobody will care. On the flipside, is 20 goal scorers can't decline him if they're running around. Having a powerforward who can score and fight just sparks fear into the opposition. The code is so weird.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
I think Stewart catching him with a solid punch kind of put an end to Kassians willingness to drop the gloves with anyone. He needs to find some technique because the more schooled fighters are having their way with him.

He's been overly aggressive in his fights imo. He's used to being able to take one to throw one I think... not so much in the NHL. He needs to pick his spots with his left a little better. Pretty typical of a young guy finding his way though.

He definitely brings a wildcard to the table. If he puts in 20 goals, he doesn't have to fight the plugs of the league, he can decline and nobody will care. On the flipside, is 20 goal scorers can't decline him if they're running around. Having a powerforward who can score and fight just sparks fear into the opposition. The code is so weird.

I'm a little surprised that he seems to be getting so much respect already. The guy puts an end to a scrum after a whistle quickly. Very few guys even seem interested in looking at him. It's a lot more fun to watch then Burrows biting and hair pulling people in those scrums :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad