Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign Sbisa (3 yrs, $3.6M AAV), Dorsett (4 yrs, $2.65M AAV) [Mod Post #186]

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
25 pages and still no legit case made by anyone as to why Sbisa has earned that contract. Other than he's young, big and fast and sometimes passes the eye test...

Well, if it's any comfort, this management group was bang on about Edler bouncing back and being a top pairing Dman again. That's not much comfort but they obviously see something in Sbisa beyond what the "advanced" stats are showing.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Ok, then post some recent deals for 4th line 25 point players who fight a lot so we can see if you are correct.
Dorsett is the 59th highest point getter at his position so I'm guessing the salary is pretty much market these days.

We shouldn't pay someone because of one big year

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
“@News1130Sports: Dorset agent Jason Davidson : "#Canucks appreciate Derek's grit and leadership, was not hard negotiation."â€

You don't say.

People laughed when I suggested that Benning was a poor negotiator and wasn't maximizing the value of his assets. Here is probably the third time we've heard about him being an easy deal.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I knew you'd coming in here hating with your sky is falling rational thoughts.

;)

to me it's utter lunacy to see the same people who claimed $4.6 was too much for a very good top 4 defensman (who people for some reason pencilled into the 3rd pair...he'd look damn good next to Hammer right now) but can rationalize wasting $3.6 on a considerably worse player to put it lightly.

Santorelli also had as many EV strength points in 48 games as Dorsett has in 77 and is actually good at hockey, but a 2 year deal was too much.

It's really funny actually.

We could have given Sbisa $5 million/year and certain people here would still be defending it to the bitter end. Just as we could have traded Garrison for a 7th, and they would have defended that as well.

If the best defense of Sbisa is that he's gotten better and is still only 26 and etc, then you can QO him at 2.9 and give him another year. The odds of him playing well enough next year to merit a massive raise is miniscule.

The only justification for over-paying his QO by 700k next year is if you think that he'll be worth 4M in the two years where you're paying him 3.6M. That's just arithmetic.

What makes the Sbisa deal so weird is that there was no reason whatsoever to do this.

Dorsett was going to be a UFA, so if we were desperate to keep him, fine, maybe we overpay a bit. But if we really needed more Sbisa in our lives we could have just qualified him for a year at $2.9 million and seen how he did next season. Like we did with Tanev.

It's mind-boggling that Benning wanted to be cautious with Tanev but was ready to hurl bags of money ASAP at Luca freaking Sbisa.

Fully agreed with both.

The logic (or lack thereof) both in the Sbisa signing, and from those defending it, is astonishing.

My problem with Dorsett's deal is more about the term. Giving 4 years to fringe players is never a good thing. Too much can happen.

I think Sbisa is overpaid by 600k but I don't care about the 3 years. I would have preferred 3 years for Dorsett but the 2.65M is fine with me.

They're 6/10 in my opinion. I don't really have a super aversion to either but I don't think either is a great deal. I also know that comparing contracts that were signed 2 years ago to contracts today isn't a logical argument because of the cap changing.

You think Luca Sbisa, who is statistically one of the worst defenders in the NHL, is worth $3 million/year with term as an RFA?

Hey now. After these tragic signings, there's a chance Vey is given a 3 year contract at $2.5m per year.

Anything is possible now.

No kidding.

Again, he is literally just finishing a 25 point season. Maybe I'm taking a wait-and-see approach here, but I don't see his offensive production being flukey or anything this year. Assuming he averages 10-12 minutes moving forward why do you think he'll necessarily regress?

He's been a 15-20 point guy his entire career.

These sorts of energy guy tend to burn out pretty quickly, so I'm not expecting him to sustain this level of play until he's almost 33. He'll probably be his usual 15-20 point self next year.

Which is fine. He's a good 4th liner if used right. If we'd resigned him for 3 years/$6 million I'd be OK with it.

Let me get this straight.

We force Garrison out of Vancouver, making him waive his NTC, because that's too much money spent on a guy playing on the bottom pairing. By doing this, we get garbage value out of him, despite his play being roughly that of a high end 2nd pairing defenseman.

We then go ahead and sign a guy who can barely tread water on the 3rd pairing, who plays as well as a 7th defenseman, for 3.6M for 3 years?

Completely mind blowing sequence of events. It's like chopping off your foot because it'll save you money on socks. Just... just so stupid.

This is pretty much the whole Sbisa saga in a nutshell.

Ridiculous. Jim Benning continues to impress with his absolute inability to negotiate. It's remarkable.

Just time after time ... it really is amazing.

I hope we all enjoy it because apparently Dorsett and Sbisa will single handedly prevent us from getting other players ever and we will never ever make the playoffs again.

I tried explaining our cap situation to you and you ignored it.

Filling the rest of our roster spots with rookies/filler, we're against the cap.

And nobody said anything resembling most of this rubbish.

Has anyone claiming that we have ample amount of room done the actual math? We aren't carrying 9 rookies next year.

We might be at this rate.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Well, if it's any comfort, this management group was bang on about Edler bouncing back and being a top pairing Dman again. That's not much comfort but they obviously see something in Sbisa beyond what the "advanced" stats are showing.

I guess, I just need hear/see something to feel good about the Sbisa deal. It's alarming that even the most optimistic fans are agreeing that it's an overpay.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Have a link to that (Linden's comment?) I would be interested in reading more.

It was on the radio team 1040 when he was named president of the Canucks. The host specifically asked him about advanced stats, I believe it was the interview where he sat down for an hour talking about the Canucks.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Because threads like these blow up in a way that no thread where the Canucks do something well do. That is what's frustrating. I get that this board loves to analyze, but we never look at why we did something well, or why the coach or GM makes the decisions they do, it's always about what WE would do differently.

Either way, I'm ending it here. Too many discussion are becoming Meta debates about certain posters or "typical responses" and that's not what a hockey board is about.

Because how long do you expect a discussion of "I agree" to last?

The Vrbata signing was nearly universally loved by this fanbase. Only the posters with joke accounts posted anything negative. I believe I only posted once in the thread because, what more is there to say when you think it's a good move? It's when you disagree with something where you're going to have the most to say about it; that's just how it is.

I'm not sure why posters routinely expect threads to have nothing but posts of "yay!" and "Good move nucks!" What the hell kind of a discussion forum would that be?

Again, look at the thread about Tanev's extension. Again I said very little because it was a great move in my opinion. It's not that I'm overly negative, it's that I don't really know what I can give to a discussion when I agree with it other than to say, "good job Benning," which I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad