Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign Jacob Markstrom (2 years 1.55M AAV)

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
2 years is what I expected. Reinvest Miller's cap in Markstrom if he proves ready for a long term deal. If not, there's plenty of cap space to acquire a new keeper.

arsmaster*

Don't understand the lure of signing him to a deal that leaves him UFA at the end.

arsmaster*

Because he made 1.4 this year we had to go at least higher then that....I think it's 10%....if I recall correctly.

You'd think signing him to a multiyear deal he could have negotiated down the AAV.

Guess it's Thatcher's team for 2017?

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
You'd think signing him to a multiyear deal he could have negotiated down the AAV.

Guess it's Thatcher's team for 2017?

Maybe....but what if he has a great year next year, then we have two goalies looking at an upward of 10m for the both....this gives us a bit of breathing room. May make signing him harder, we will have to wait and see...

If he doesn't pan out then no loss really.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Fine with the deal and the terms. About what I expected.

Praying he can live up to his potential. He was lights out with the Comets, and showed decently after his initial SJ nightmare this season. Just need him to keep building confidence.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Because he made 1.4 this year we had to go at least higher then that....I think it's 10%....if I recall correctly.

His qualifying offer had to at least $1.4M (the 10% increase is for players earning ≤ $660,00). However there's nothing stopping him from signing a deal under his qualifying offer. Also this wasn't a qualifying offer, all QOs are one year deals.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Imagine this....

We trade a elite player (luongo) for a goaltender from Florida. This goaltender then becomes a elite goaltender and almost wins the Hart and Vezina. Once this goaltender is around in his prime a young goaltender from Boston College appears that everyone loves. Que the goaltender controversy.

Story writes itself.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
His qualifying offer had to at least $1.4M (the 10% increase is for players earning ≤ $660,00). However there's nothing stopping him from signing a deal under his qualifying offer. Also this wasn't a qualifying offer, all QOs are one year deals.

I know...but he would have had to sign one if he didn't sign this deal.

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
Imagine this....

We trade a elite player (luongo) for a goaltender from Florida. This goaltender then becomes a elite goaltender and almost wins the Hart and Vezina. Once this goaltender is around in his prime a young goaltender from Boston College appears that everyone loves. Que the goaltender controversy.

Story writes itself.

I would be very happy if there were to become true.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Imagine this....

Story writes itself.

So is this bad or good?

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
That's a pretty good get for an AHL all-star!

#2 GAA and #2 Save% in the league while leading a goal starved team to the Calder Cup finals while he was already making $1.4 mil. Now he'll make $1.5 mil. Not exactly breaking the bank.

If he pans out, this contract will be a steal. If he flops, he leaves with Miller and you start out with a clean slate. No buyout, no salary going to a guy not on your roster, no held over cap hit, a win win for the Canucks.

I'd be more worried what JB might offer Clendening. He seems pretty high on a guy most Comets fans don't share the same opinion of.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
#2 GAA and #2 Save% in the league while leading a goal starved team to the Calder Cup finals while he was already making $1.4 mil. Now he'll make $1.5 mil. Not exactly breaking the bank.

If he pans out, this contract will be a steal. If he flops, he leaves with Miller and you start out with a clean slate. No buyout, no salary going to a guy not on your roster, no held over cap hit, a win win for the Canucks.

I'd be more worried what JB might offer Clendening. He seems pretty high on a guy most Comets fans don't share the same opinion of.

Did he make full salary in the minors?

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
I know...but he would have had to sign one if he didn't sign this deal.

True, but if we didn't offer him at least his QO then he'd be free to become a UFA and with what he did in the AHL this year it's a fair risk that someone would pay him something like his QO amount anyway, so might as well not risk it and lock him down.

I'm fine with term and salary, but I'd have preferred maybe a three-year deal so that with Miller gone we had some security. Or alternatively, a one-year deal so that if he did well then we could negotiate a multi-year deal with him next year while still holding his RFA rights without having both our goalies become UFA same year.

Not huge deal, if he does well then he'll be for sure a starter in '17 anyway, with the cap space we'd need to sign him to whatever he needed and could start those talks next year.

I'll put this deal in the "okay" category.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Don't understand the lure of signing him to a deal that leaves him UFA at the end.

I suspect it was Markstrom who wanted the 2 year deal. Club probably was offering $2M per for 3 years - certainly not more. I'm guessing he sees his downside risk as a $2M back-up in two years and his upside as $5M on a long term contract. It's kinda a no brainer for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad