Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign Jacob Markstrom (2 years 1.55M AAV)

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
His salary was $1.4 million last year too, so his qualifying offer would have been the same.

I thought so....I changed my post to say 1.2 because of the post above mine hehehe second guessed myself.

LuiLui

Feb 13, 2008
Vancouver
OK so if my math is correct we went from paying Luongo/Schneider

9.33 Mil a year to paying

Miller and Markstrom+luongo retention

8.35 Million

Thats a big drop in quality for a million in savings :(

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
fair deal. oh look, it expires at the same time as miller's. i wonder who we'll re-sign when the time comes :sarcasm:

or maybe we'll just trade markstrom in two years and bring in bryzgalov to be a mentor for demko...and then trade demko because he's too young.

no seriously though, thank god this contract doesn't suck.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011

8.35 Million

better than 10+ for niemi and lehtonen i suppose, but it might actually be a wash

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
I like Markstrom. It's a good contract. However, Miller and Markstrom is a duo that I don't agree with. Would have preferred Miller/Lack, and in a couple years, Lack/Cannata or Demko.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver

8.35 Million

Unfortunately benning doesn't have a time machine to undo Gillis' error in regards to the Luongo Schneider debacle.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Nothing wrong with that. If things delayed it's entirely possible that another team could offer sheet him for up to $1,682,194. That's the limit for 3rd round compensation, which with the next draft a year away now is a fair price for a team.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Can't complain, but I do question the second year, and it lining up with his UFA status. Doesn't that give him all the leverage?

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
The Luongo trade was always about what will happen a few years down the line.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
contract term and cap hit are fine, although not thrilled about both goaltenders hitting ufa in the same year and banishing lack to carolina

will pull my hair out if i see any media members pencil in demko for 2018

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm fine with the contract. It's fair.

Unfortunately benning doesn't have a time machine to undo Gillis' error in regards to the Luongo Schneider debacle.

Let's not pretend that Benning inherited crap and made the best of a bad situation here.

Gillis' moves left us with a goalie tandem that cost ~3.2M combined, Bo Horvat and a good middle 6 player in Matthias. Wasn't nearly as good as Luongo/Schneider, but at least you can make an argument that it was worth the ~6M in savings and picking up Horvat and Matthias.

So far Benning has replaced the better half of the tandem with a worse goalie that costs 4.8M more, lost Matthias for nothing and acquired a 3rd round pick in exchanging for getting worse and more expensive goaltending.

Benning doesn't need a time machine to correct Gillis' moves, he needs a time machine to correct his own.

Skirbs1011

May 18, 2015
So if we Ride Miller a lot over 2 years, and Markstrom gets a fare amount of starts at least when we re-sign him he shouldnt command over 3 million.

So in 2 years we go from 7.55 million to hopefully around 4.5 for 2 goalies, 3 million savings with Burrows and Higgins contracts also ending Maybe we will finally go into an offseason with some flexibility

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
I'm fine with the contract. It's fair.

Let's not pretend that Benning inherited crap and made the best of a bad situation here.

Gillis' moves left us with a goalie tandem that cost ~3.2M combined, Bo Horvat and a good middle 6 player in Matthias. Wasn't nearly as good as Luongo/Schneider, but at least you can make an argument that it was worth the ~6M in savings and picking up Horvat and Matthias.

So far Benning has replaced the better half of the tandem with a worse goalie that costs 4.8M more, lost Matthias for nothing and acquired a 3rd round pick in exchanging for getting worse and more expensive goaltending.

Benning doesn't need a time machine to correct Gillis' moves, he needs a time machine to correct his own.

Oh I'm not saying he had crap, but I mean comparing the situation to what we had a year prior is pretty difficult when Benning didn't make the choice to trade Ginger Bricks or Lui.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
So.....Markstrom is a UFA at the end of this no?

Why not tack on a third year to prevent leverage in two years holy jesus this could be bad.

VibinCanuck

No doubt about it, I am ready to get hurt again
Sep 13, 2014
Vancouver
Good deal, leaves the Canucks 7.5 million free if Markstrom doesn't pan out in 2 years as the starter.

I do think Miller will get passed again by Markstrom because of the work Rollie did to his game in the AHL. Looking at his past stats you can clearly see an improvement to his game.

He could become our Ben Bishop, same size and athleticism traits as him while younger than Bishop when he got moved from the Sens to the Lightning.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Good deal, leaves the Canucks 7.5 million free if Markstrom doesn't pan out in 2 years as the starter.

I do think Miller will get passed again by Markstrom because of the work Rollie did to his game in the AHL. Looking at his past stats you can clearly see an improvement to his game.

He could become our Ben Bishop, same size and athleticism traits as him while younger than Bishop when he got moved from the Sens to the Lightning.

Miller isn't as bad as people say on here....he has 6 or so blowouts that really bring down his stats. In some ways he is like lou in that way....overall his stats take a beating due to those blowouts but he has played some really good games for us.

TheSnowLeopard

Jan 8, 2013
Soviet Kanuckistan
There is zero proof that Markstrom can take over anything at the NHL level. He should feel lucky to get a two way contract for league minimum based on his play up to this point.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
There is zero proof that Markstrom can take over anything at the NHL level. He should feel lucky to get a two way contract for league minimum based on his play up to this point.

You do know they couldn't do that right?

You understand the rules of RFA's?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad