Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign Jacob Markstrom (2 years 1.55M AAV)

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
How is that relevant? He had all of the knowledge every fan had and still chose to go that route. No excuse, regardless of how bad MG botched it.
Because Gillis traded Lack for a sack of **** and left the team with a washed up $6m backup. From the grave.

medhatcanuck

Jul 8, 2010
Inside JayZ's Belly
Luongo - Schneider
has officially become:

Miller - Markstrom

I'm loving the Schneider trade now, but man was that risky. Luongo trade, yuck.
Matthias - will be gone, won't get us any assets.
Markstrom - we will see if he can be a sufficient stop-gap until Demko.
Did we even get a third piece?

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
Luongo - Schneider
has officially become:

Miller - Markstrom

I'm loving the Schneider trade now, but man was that risky. Luongo trade, yuck.
Matthias - will be gone, won't get us any assets.
Markstrom - we will see if he can be a sufficient stop-gap until Demko.
Did we even get a third piece?

We got the pick that became Cole Cassels, I believe

Solidius

#TankLivesMatter
Jul 7, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
Imagine this....

We trade a elite player (luongo) for a goaltender from Florida. This goaltender then becomes a elite goaltender and almost wins the Hart and Vezina. Once this goaltender is around in his prime a young goaltender from Boston College appears that everyone loves. Que the goaltender controversy.

Story writes itself.

Looking forward to updating my avatar in 3-5 years.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
It's only two years, so no real fuss. Better hope he and Miller actually play decent though, because we're stuck with that tandem.

Decent enough is not going to get the team anywhere. The tandem is going to need to be top 10 unless there is a major makeover on the blueline in the coming weeks.

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
I ordered a Marky jersey as soon as he was traded from Florida so this deal eases up my tension regarding having wasted money. Thank you, based Jimbo ;)

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Don't totally understand why it's a 2 year deal ending in UFA instead of 1 and renegotiate as RFA, unless they're really afraid of leverage he might build up this season or are focusing on positioning themselves for Markstrom potentially becoming a starter in the next 2-3 years. :dunno:

But whatever. Either Markstrom plays well enough that they're willing to commit to him at that point and it shouldn't be too hard to get a deal done, or he doesn't play well enough and who really cares if he can walk as a UFA. Just kind of a strange choice.

Does buy them more time to make a real decision on Markstrom i suppose. 2 years, likely the 2nd as a potential "tandem guy" to see how he handles more workload...so hopefully you know by the end of this contract if he's a guy you want to extend with a "starter type contract" or not. As opposed to a 1-year deal, then renegotiating on a 1 or 2 year deal that takes him to UFA anyway.

Certainly set up as though they're trying to situate themselves as favourably as possible in the event that Markstrom becomes the starter in the next two/three years, where you can potentially get him locked in as an "unproven starter" at sort of "low end starter" money in two years - as opposed to 1 year now, then either a 1 year next year which ultimately leaves him UFA anyway, or maybe a 2 year option as RFA next summer, which would leave him negotiating as a UFA coming off his first real "full time starter" season, and could get pricey (if he succeeds). Seems to be positioned to best serve the club's interests if Markstrom succeeds bigtime (which i guess is what they're banking on in general with the Lack trade). Might as well take him to UFA in that regard i guess; that's going to be the big "decision year" crossroads no matter how you maneuver things in the next two years contract-wise really.

As far as the dollar figure, that was pretty much a given, considering his salary this year and the QO value required. Markstrom was guaranteed to be more expensive than Lack this year.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Don't totally understand why it's a 2 year deal ending in UFA instead of 1 and renegotiate as RFA, unless they're really afraid of leverage he might build up this season or are focusing on positioning themselves for Markstrom potentially becoming a starter in the next 2-3 years. :dunno:

But whatever. Either Markstrom plays well enough that they're willing to commit to him at that point and it shouldn't be too hard to get a deal done, or he doesn't play well enough and who really cares if he can walk as a UFA. Just kind of a strange choice.

Does buy them more time to make a real decision on Markstrom i suppose. 2 years, likely the 2nd as a potential "tandem guy" to see how he handles more workload...so hopefully you know by the end of this contract if he's a guy you want to extend with a "starter type contract" or not. As opposed to a 1-year deal, then renegotiating on a 1 or 2 year deal that takes him to UFA anyway.

Certainly set up as though they're trying to situate themselves as favourably as possible in the event that Markstrom becomes the starter in the next two/three years, where you can potentially get him locked in as an "unproven starter" at sort of "low end starter" money in two years - as opposed to 1 year now, then either a 1 year next year which ultimately leaves him UFA anyway, or maybe a 2 year option as RFA next summer, which would leave him negotiating as a UFA coming off his first real "full time starter" season, and could get pricey (if he succeeds). Seems to be positioned to best serve the club's interests if Markstrom succeeds bigtime (which i guess is what they're banking on in general with the Lack trade). Might as well take him to UFA in that regard i guess; that's going to be the big "decision year" crossroads no matter how you maneuver things in the next two years contract-wise really.

As far as the dollar figure, that was pretty much a given, considering his salary this year and the QO value required. Markstrom was guaranteed to be more expensive than Lack this year.

Good post - sums it up nicely I think.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
eddie lack only had a $1,150,000 cap hit. wasn't hogging enough space for jimbo, so obviously he had to go.

he wishes he could have given markstrom 4 years/$3.5 million AAV but what if markstrom plays okay and in two years you can give him 6 years at $6 million per? never say benning doesn't have foresight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad