Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign F Sven Baertschi to 3-year deal ($3.367m AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
In most cases I would agree however if he is able to stay healthy them that's completely different story
Except he is playing in a violent sport where injuries are the norm. Pull your head out of your ass and look at the real world.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Not a great deal, not a bad one. He's scored at a 20+ goal/40+point pace for the past two seasons. My biggest concern is his durability as he has missed significant time to injury in each season - I also was an advocate of moving him for a pick in 2019 and giving Goldobin a shot. But, I by no means dislike him and am happy to have him in the fold going forward.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I don’t mind the contract, but it will be interesting to see what line-up will look like now. I think the signing of Baertschi pretty much confirms that the Canucks will try and make Pettersson a Center right away.

Here is what I do NOT want to see.

I absolutely do not want to see these ‘skilled’ wingers playing alongside these defensive oriented non-playmaking centers. Period.

In other words, guys like Baertschi, Goldobin, Leipsic, Granlund, and Eriksson should NOT play alongside Sutter or Beagle. It’s a complete mismatch of skill sets and you do absolutely no one justice by doing that.

With Beagle and Sutter here, that is why I’m hoping that there is a clear cut divide between the top 6 and bottom 6. No skilled soft wingers should play on the bottom 6.

IF any of these “soft skilled non-superstar” wingers can’t make the top 6, they should either be sent to Utica, be the 13th forward, or traded for a pick.

So with that being said, here is what I hope management has in mind.

1) Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser.

2) ?????-Pettersson-Eriksson. Keep Eriksson away from Sutter and Beagle. Their games don’t mesh. Give Eriksson a new center and to see if he can start producing again. I would have liked to have kept Pettersson as a winger, but I think the Baertschi signing pretty much signifies that the Canucks will push Pettersson as a Center immediately. I think that 2nd line LW spot will come down to Dahlen/Goldobin/Leipsic. Again, I re-iterate......NONE of those 3 should be used as bottom 6 wingers.

3) Roussel-Sutter-Virtanen: This line will have some sandpaper. I also feel that with Sutter’s skill set, these two wingers might be best suited to playing with Sutter as neither of these wingers are overly dependent on centers with playmaking ability.

4) Gaunce-Beagle-Gagner: I don’t think Gaunce will make the team unfortunately, but I think his game would complement Beagle’s extremely well In terms of being a good shut down line. That new guy from Boston might get Gaunce’s spot. I don’t really care much for Gagner here, but there’s no other real use for him. Hopefully, he can provide a semblance of scoring here.

1) Edler-Gudbranson: Gudbranson was at his best playing alongside Edler and so I hope the CNuxks keep this pairing.

2) Hughes-Tanev: Given how weak our defense is, I wouldn’t mind seeing Hughes making the team right from Day One and getting the handheld treatment from Tanev. I normally don’t like prospects being rushed, but I think Hughes could be ready. If Hughes isn’t ready, use Ben Hutton here.

3) Del Zotto-????: maybe Haan if the Canucks sign him. Just keep Pouliot and Stecher away from here.

1) Markstrom
2) Demko

Extras: Granlund, Biega

Utica bound:

-Gaudette
-Dahlen (if he doesn’t make top 6)
-Lind
-Gadjovich
-Juolevi
-Pouliot
-Motte

Last edited:
Reactions: theoriginalBCF

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
I don’t mind the contract, but it will be interesting to see what line-up will look like now. I think the signing of Baertschi pretty much confirms that the Canucks will try and make Pettersson a Center right away.

I absolutely do not want to see these ‘skilled’ wingers playing alongside these defensive oriented non-playmaking centers. Period.

In other words, guys like Baertschi, Goldobin, Leipsic, Granlund, and Eriksson should NOT play alongside Sutter or Beagle. It’s a complete mismatch of skill sets and you do absolutely no one justice by doing that.

With Beagle and Sutter here, that is why I’m hoping that there is a clear cut divide between the top 6 and bottom 6. No skilled soft wingers should play on the bottom 6.

IF any of these “soft skilled non-superstar” wingers can’t make the top 6, they should either be sent to Utica, be the 13th forward, or traded for a pick.

2) ?????-Pettersson-Eriksson. Keep Eriksson away from Sutter and Beagle. Their games don’t mesh. Give Eriksson a new center and to see if he can start producing again. I would have liked to have kept Pettersson as a winger, but I think the Baertschi signing pretty much signifies that the Canucks will push Pettersson as a Center immediately. I think that 2nd line LW spot will come down to Dahlen/Goldobin/Leipsic. Again, I re-iterate......NONE of those 3 should be used as bottom 6 wingers.

3) Roussel-Sutter-Virtanen: This line will have some sandpaper. I also feel that with Sutter’s skill set, these two wingers might be best suited to playing with Sutter as neither of these wingers are overly dependent on centers with playmaking ability.

4) Gaunce-Beagle-Gagner: I don’t think Gaunce will make the team unfortunately, but I think his game would complement Beagle’s extremely well In terms of being a good shut down line. That new guy from Boston might get Gaunce’s spot. I don’t really care much for Gagner here, but there’s no other real use for him. Hopefully, he can provide a semblance of scoring here.

1) Edler-Gudbranson: Gudbranson was at his best playing alongside Edler and so I hope the CNuxks keep this pairing.

2) Hughes-Tanev: Given how weak our defense is, I wouldn’t mind seeing Hughes making the team right from Day One and getting the handheld treatment from Tanev. I normally don’t like prospects being rushed, but I think Hughes could be ready. If Hughes isn’t ready, use Ben Hutton here.

3) Del Zotto-????: maybe Haan if the Canucks sign him. Just keep Pouliot and Stecher away from here.

1) Markstrom
2) Demko

Utica bound:

-Gaudette
-Lind
-Gadjovich
-Juolevi
-Pouliot
OMG I find myself agreeing with you.

theoriginalBCF

Jan 29, 2018

1) Markstrom
2) Demko

Utica bound:

-Gaudette
-Lind
-Gadjovich
-Juolevi
-Pouliot
Stetcher-Edler should be 2nd pairing with Juolevi-Gudbranson as sheltered 3rd pairing minutes

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Pretty much the exact contract I was looking for.

Got his market value and perfect term. We should have no trouble trading him when he becomes expendable or adding him to a package to sweeten the deal for something were really going to need in the future.

Good job Benning :thumbu:

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
This isn't as bad as the other garbage today but this is not a good signing.

This is a 26 y/o fringe slowish top-6 forward who is injury prone and has never cleared 35 points in a season. And was flat-out awful for most of last season after a good October. He should not be getting money and term.

Anything more than 2 years $5 million and he can walk. Leipsic can step into his roster spot and score the same soft 40 points. He had no leverage and needs us and the ridiculously good situation he has going here a lot more than we need him.

This guy was a healthy scratch at one point last year and he gets $10 million? Seriously?

When young players contract are up, a lot of times you are paying what they will do for that contract and not for past performance. I think it's more than reasonable if healthy he can get 18 to 22 goals and 40 to 45 points. That performance is 3 Plus M salary.

One of those years is a ufa year as well. You have leverage there and also look at players on the roster. Only Horvat and Boeser and Granlund have had a 18 plus goal season the Last 2 years Baer had 32 goals. That 3rd most from players on the roster right now. Yes he does have some leverage.

The most popular argument on this forum. If player A is put in the same position as player B, he can perform just as good. So a 9 point 14 game sample size is enough evidences for you that Leispic is a 40 point guy?

If it was that simple, Canucks should have more goals the last 3 years.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
The common theme between last and this year's signings is the term. Almost all ending 2021/2022 ish or right about the same time our new young kids will be needing large new contracts.

Not the best, not the worst either but a meh extension based on potential while healthy. At least there is no NTC

Hi Hip, belated welcome to hfb.

Last year's unrestricted free agent signings were:

Alex Burmistrov-1 year ending 2018
Anders Nilsson-2 years ending 2019
Michael del Zotto-2 years ending 2019
Patrick Wiercioch-1 year ending 2018
Sam Gagner-3 years ending 2020
Thomas Vanek-1 year ending 2018

This years's UFA signings so far:

Antoine Roussel-4 years ending 2022
Jay Beagle-4 years ending 2022
Tim Schaller-2 years ending 2020

On the basis of that I can't agree with your statement that "The common theme between last and this year's signings is the term. Almost all ending 2021/2022 ish." Of last season's signings 3 ended in 2018, 2 in 2019 and 1 in 2020. None of last year's signings lasts until your stated ending time of 2021/2022 ish.

We don't have all the info, but I've seen suggestions that both Beagle and Roussel got limited no trade clauses, but I don't think we know about that for sure yet. You could be right though-it's hard to imagine why a no trade clause would be necessary for contracts for too much money with a losing team in a moderate to high tax jurisdiction and for players with no Vancouver roots.

Reactions: Jack Burton

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
When young players contract are up, a lot of times you are paying what they will do for that contract and not for past performance. I think it's more than reasonable if healthy he can get 18 to 22 goals and 40 to 45 points. That performance is 3 Plus M salary.

One of those years is a ufa year as well. You have leverage there and also look at players on the roster. Only Horvat and Boeser and Granlund have had a 18 plus goal season the Last 2 years Baer had 32 goals. That 3rd most from players on the roster right now. Yes he does have some leverage.

The most popular argument on this forum. If player A is put in the same position as player B, he can perform just as good. So a 9 point 14 game sample size is enough evidences for you that Leispic is a 40 point guy?

1) 'Paying for what you'll do in the future' is a thing if you're doing a long-term deal for 22 y/o Bo Horvat. Baertschi isn't young. He's 26. He is what he is - an injury-prone, fringe-y top-6 forward.

2) If he plays all year with Horvat and Boeser and only scores 40-45 points, that absolutely sucks. And it's totally easy to replace.

3) Baertschi isn't an established player here. He stunk last year after a good start and was a healthy scratch at one point. This is a guy who should be clawing for a job at training camp vs. the likes of Pettersson and Dahlin, not handed term.

4) Continuing on from (3), this is a team that is the worst in the NHL over the past 3 years. There are maybe 5 players on this roster who actually deserve term, and we should be squeezing the hell out of these iffy mid-level guys until they actually prove something. Develop some accountability as an organization. Instead we have crap like Gudbranson/Pouliot/Granlund getting big raises after being atrocious, and a player like Baertschi gets $10 million in a soft negotiation after proving nothing. It's just pathetically weak management and leadership from the top.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Stetcher-Edler should be 2nd pairing with Juolevi-Gudbranson as sheltered 3rd pairing minutes

To be honest, I think Juolevi should start in the AHL and grow his game when he gets met healthy. It would have been nice if he had had a full summer of training, but he will have spent most of his summer training.

Let him get healthy, let him train, and let him continue to develop more slowly and gradually. With Hughes being the future ‘alpha’ of our defense core now, there’s far less pressure to rush Juolevi.

Even if Juolevi was ready however, would you really want him paired with Guds? I would rather have seen him paired with Tanev. Let Hughes take that spot instead.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
1) 'Paying for what you'll do in the future' is a thing if you're doing a long-term deal for 22 y/o Bo Horvat. Baertschi isn't young. He's 26. He is what he is - an injury-prone, fringe-y top-6 forward.

2) If he plays all year with Horvat and Boeser and only scores 40-45 points, that absolutely sucks. And it's totally easy to replace.

3) Baertschi isn't an established player here. He stunk last year after a good start and was a healthy scratch at one point. This is a guy who should be clawing for a job at training camp vs. the likes of Pettersson and Dahlin, not handed term.

4) Continuing on from (3), this is a team that is the worst in the NHL over the past 3 years. There are maybe 5 players on this roster who actually deserve term, and we should be squeezing the hell out of these iffy mid-level guys until they actually prove something. Develop some accountability as an organization. Instead we have crap like Gudbranson/Pouliot/Granlund getting big raises after being atrocious, and a player like Baertschi gets $10 million in a soft negotiation after proving nothing. It's just pathetically weak management and leadership from the top.

1 Baer was a full time player for 3 seasons now. If he never played a healthy season yet. We really don't know what we have in him yet. That's why we are paying for what he can be in the future. Canucks thinks he can stay healthy and produce 40 plus stretch. It is not ridiculous at all.

2 On average there is only probably about 5 to 6 players that actually get 40 plus points per a team. 40 to 45 points without 1st pp unit that actually not bad numbers. That's the reason why Canucks are not paying him more. 40 to 45 is easy to replace? Why do so many fan in this forum still think like its 1985.

3 when you score 15 18 and 14 goals. You are usually nkt clawing for a spot in the lineup. There are not many options that are better Baer as of right now

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

Brandon Leipsic is younger than Baertschi and has scored 24 ES points in his 69 game career, which is basically the same as what Baertschi does every single season since he entered the league.

Like MS said, Baertschi's career here should be pretty much on the ropes and he should be battling for a spot with younger guys like Leipsic, Goldobin, Dahlen etc. Instead he is just gifted 10M for the next 3 years because why not.

After taking some time to think about it, I absolutely hate this signing and the message that it sends. It's like Benning had the contracts lined up for these players years ago and their actual play doesn't matter.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Brandon Leipsic is younger than Baertschi and has scored 24 ES points in his 69 game career, which is basically the same as what Baertschi does every single season since he entered the league.

Like MS said, Baertschi's career here should be pretty much on the ropes and he should be battling for a spot with younger guys like Leipsic, Goldobin, Dahlen etc. Instead he is just gifted 10M for the next 3 years because why not.

Baer had 29 esp in 2017 season. Baer also shown he can score some ppg on the 2nd unit as well

Like I said before we are paying for his future performance. If you don't buy that concept Baer still had 15 18 and 14 goals and was on a 20 goal pace two out of last three seasons. That is still worth at least 2.5 to 2.7 M. It's not 1985 right now when hockey players dont make anywhere close to that salary with that production.

Even with that salary he is guarantee an nhl spot but he still needs to battle which spot he plays in

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Baer had 29 esp in 2017 season. Baer also shown he can score some ppg on the 2nd unit as well

Like I said before we are paying for his future performance. If you don't buy that concept Baer still had 15 18 and 14 goals and was on a 20 goal pace two out of last three seasons. That is still worth at least 2.5 to 2.7 M. It's not 1985 right now when hockey players dont make anywhere close to that salary with that production.

Even with that salary he is guarantee an nhl spot but he still needs to battle which spot he plays in

In terms of the value it's probably not too far off but I just hate the message it sends. He has been a meh top-sixer who SHOULD BE hearing footsteps behind him. We should have signed him to a one-year deal and told him that he would have to work to fend off Dahlen, etc. who will be trying to take his job.

Instead, nope, locked-in, gifted roster spot. No pressure.

I hated the Granlund signing too but at least he only got one year.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
1 Baer was a full time player for 3 seasons now. If he never played a healthy season yet. We really don't know what we have in him yet. That's why we are paying for what he can be in the future. Canucks thinks he can stay healthy and produce 40 plus stretch. It is not ridiculous at all.

2 On average there is only probably about 5 to 6 players that actually get 40 plus points per a team. 40 to 45 points without 1st pp unit that actually not bad numbers. That's the reason why Canucks are not paying him more. 40 to 45 is easy to replace? Why do so many fan in this forum still think like its 1985.

3 when you score 15 18 and 14 goals. You are usually not competing for a spot in the lineup

If he can score 45 points from a 2nd line and 2nd unit PP time, that's great. Doing it from a first line sucks.

He has never cleared 35 points. He was a healthy scratch at one point last year. He had 9 ES points at his last 31 games. He plays the position we have the most system depth at, including talented young players who should be competing for jobs as soon as this year.

He should not have been getting term.

Like, I get that amongst Jim Benning's moves, he's a shining pearl in a sea of shit relatively speaking. But still neither a very good or very proven player and I'm pretty sure he didn't want to take his career high of 35 points to arbitration.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
We don't know what we have? Of course we know what we have. How many years does Baertschi have to do the same thing before we accept that's who he is? He hasn't played a healthy season yet...so why would he start now? Is next season the one where he suddenly becomes resilient enough to stay healthy? Again: "if this player does stuff he's never done before in his entire career, it's a good deal!" Those deals are piling up now.

Obviously next year he's going to be fed all the #1 PP time he can handle because duh, this is the Canucks in 2018 and there's no other choice. Only about 5-6 players a team that get 40+ points? Well, if that sets the bar for top 6 production Bart still falls short. His best is 35 points in 68 games and that's with PP time. 1985's looking pretty good compared to what we've got.

3 when you score 15 18 and 14 goals. You are usually nkt clawing for a spot in the lineup. There are not many options that are better Baer as of right now
And he's not clawing for a spot, is he? He's our #1 LW as of now. Have a look around the league and see how that stacks up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia