Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign F Elias Pettersson to 3-Year Deal ($7.35M AAV)

Sneezy

Oct 25, 2019
"Stop analyzing mistakes! That was yesterday! Today is a clean slate!"

Considering the Petey/Hughes contracts were just signed, I think they are pretty reasonable topics of discussion.

Absolutely the signings are up for discussion but then relating the signings to something Dim Jim did a year ago is tired and old. But alas I do not expect to get through some people (not saying you as you sound like you are reasonable).

Me I will cross the next bridge when I reach it, until then I will be enjoying the games.

Reactions: Zippgunn

Sneezy

Oct 25, 2019
True fans want the best player signed for as long as possible.

Obsequious management bootlickers have some kind of problem with that.

Sigh you are wrong, True fans? you mean the ones constantly calling JB Dim Jim? In your world are those are true fans?

Signed long as possible? What an open-ended statement? I guess we could have signed EP for $12M x 8 as that meets your definition of long as possible.

There are no management bootlickers, there are posters that are tired of the same comments cluttering every thread. If anything there are just some real negative people here that care more about complaining than being a fan of the team. Oh wait I forgot I wear rose coloured glasses and now I realize I lick boots as well.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
"Mistakes" with RFA signings can be interesting discussions. Back in the day, most declared that bridging PK Subban was a mistake because after those 3 years it cost the Canadiens a lot more to re-sign him. Turns out the mistake was that by bridging him instead of signing him to a long term contract at the outset, Montreal effectively tacked on 3 years to his contract.

Of course, Montreal corrected the mistake by making the "mistake" of trading for the older Shea Weber. Then the last three years it looked like it wasn't a mistake afterall, but now it once again looks like a mistake with Weber potentially remaining on LTIR for the next 5 years but Subban's contract ends this year. Still, without Weber, the Canadiens might not have made a Cup Finals run with Carey Price. So many mistakes...

So is the point that we should not go back and try to evaluate these decisions? Once they happen, they happen and now we should just be happy and cheer for the team.

Was Subban for Weber a good deal? Who can say? Montreal and Nashville fans should just shut up and cheer!

Of course, this is ridiculous reasoning. Yet it is continually implied by some people here. And it's not like there aren't decisions we can conclude on. Gudbranson, Eriksson, Holtby, etc. These are clearly "mistakes". I don't know much longer we need to "wait and see" on them.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Absolutely the signings are up for discussion but then relating the signings to something Dim Jim did a year ago is tired and old. But alas I do not expect to get through some people (not saying you as you sound like you are reasonable).

Me I will cross the next bridge when I reach it, until then I will be enjoying the games.

Fair enough. But it is pretty clear that current decisions are related to previous decisions. If the club doesn't have cap space, it's not because the cap space gods made it so. It's because of previous decisions. It's a completely fair criticism.

If I spend all my money on slot machines and am then unable to pay rent...it's not like those things are unrelated.

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015

But they are all tied together because everything is connected to salary cap. Like please let's not pretend that organization would not have signed to Petey to a long term contract if they had the space. They absolutely would have. Bridge contracts are only signed when:

The player wishes to rush to FA as soon as possible and is not going to stay with team barring an extreme overpay (its possible with Petterson)

The team is not sure about a young player's performance and weather they will be able to match whatever long term contract it takes to sign them (drop the act, trying to pretend this is the case; Petey is a superstar (or very close) in his young 20s, these guys every team signs for as long as possible)

The team is limited by the salary cap and cannot sign the player to the long term contract that is required to keep them (ding ding ding -- this is what happened with Petterson)

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
But they are all tied together because everything is connected to salary cap. Like please let's not pretend that organization would not have signed to Petey to a long term contract if they had the space. They absolutely would have. Bridge contracts are only signed when:

The player wishes to rush to FA as soon as possible and is not going to stay with team barring an extreme overpay (its possible with Petterson)

The team is not sure about a young player's performance and weather they will be able to match whatever long term contract it takes to sign them (drop the act, trying to pretend this is the case; Petey is a superstar (or very close) in his young 20s, these guys every team signs for as long as possible)

The team is limited by the salary cap and cannot sign the player to the long term contract that is required to keep them (ding ding ding -- this is what happened with Petterson)

right, exactly.

There are two realistic possibilities here:

1) Pettersson didn't want to sign for term because he's uncertain of this team's future.
2) Pettersson did want to sign for term but the Canucks lacked the cap space to buy any UFA years.

Regardless, both of these are 100% the fault of Jim Benning. There is no way to deflect responsibility elsewhere, no matter how transparently desperate some people are to do so.

Any other explanation is just more logic pretzelling in defense of dear leader which should absolutely be dismissed out of hand.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC

What Benning did a year or even more ago is often relevant when the overhang of his mistakes is still impacting this team now.

I'm actually optimistic that OEL looks promising and I'm hopeful that he and Poolman might be a legit pairing, but the concern that OEL's contract can be an anchor for us is legitimate, and is a direct result of having to offload the brain-dead signings of Eriksson, Roussel and Beagle. And that cap space that we could have had if not for OEL's overpayment could have been the difference in locking up Petersson long-term.

And on Petersson and being "real" fans, the goal for most here I'd imagine should be to win the Stanley Cup. I think Petersson and Hughes along with Horvat, Boeser, Demko and maybe Podkolzin and Hoglander are a solid foundation. But we'll need to hold on to them and add to them, hard to do when Benning's silly signing of the likes of Myers, overpayment of Pearson, etc, mean we'll likely have to lose Miller in the midst of our core's prime AND the trading away the likes of Madden and multiple high picks means we don't have the depth to add to the core when we'll be making those runs.

That's why it's not as simple as "what's in the past is past"...the past mistakes are what's impacting our current competitiveness and they keep being repeated. Saying we should just "move on" without acknowledging what we're learning about Benning's judgement is short-sighted and is what's hindering our current competitiveness.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
So is the point that we should not go back and try to evaluate these decisions? Once they happen, they happen and now we should just be happy and cheer for the team.

Was Subban for Weber a good deal? Who can say? Montreal and Nashville fans should just shut up and cheer!

Of course, this is ridiculous reasoning. Yet it is continually implied by some people here. And it's not like there aren't decisions we can conclude on. Gudbranson, Eriksson, Holtby, etc. These are clearly "mistakes". I don't know much longer we need to "wait and see" on them.

To be clear, I'm not getting into your debate here.

My point is that it's difficult to evaluate RFA signings like Petey right now because terms are agreed upon for specific reason(s).

I can sit here and say that it was a mistake not giving Hughes a 6-8 year contract last summer before the market for RFA Dmen like Hughes blew up. You can't 100% refute that but you can certainly provide reasons why it wasn't done. We let Makar, Heiskanen, and Werenski signings set the market and that could have turned out very well for the Canucks but turns out it didn't.

Like JP Barry alluded to, they were pursing 5 years for Petey. Would that be closer to $9.5M AAV? Is the deal that Petey signed better? Who can really say right now.

We've had these sort of theoretical discussions here for a long time. I don't think there's anything definitive. Forget the fact that you are expected to get more value in the short term with a bridge, if you sign guys like Petey to long term contracts you are expected to come out ahead in the last 2-3 years of the deal compared to a bridge + extension. But if you sign the player to a long term contract then re-sign him to another long term contract (for example Stamkos) then you run a greater risk that that player isn't worth the money in the last 2-3 years of his deal. Then again, teams have continued to sign their older star players to contracts that take them close to age 40.

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
right, exactly.

1) Pettersson didn't want to sign for term because he's uncertain of this team's future.
2) Pettersson did want to sign for term but the Canucks lacked the cap space to buy any UFA years.

Regardless, both of these are 100% the fault of Jim Benning. There is no way to deflect responsibility elsewhere, no matter how transparently desperate some people are to do so.

Any other explanation is just more logic pretzelling in defense of dear leader which should absolutely be dismissed out of hand.

yeah its really hard to take them seriously because they talk about Pettersson not being worth a potential long term contract. That's so dumb because if he is not then this team Benning has built is not going anywhere and also they spend hours defending/justifying the most asinine contracts Benning has signed, but feel that a slight overpayment to our best players is too much to bear

The regime's defenders are talking about Pettersson as if he's the same as Jake Virtanen, Jake Debrusk and Ryan Johansson (and even for the latter 2 I think those teams would have liked to sign those guys for more term)

Even if it take more then 9 to sign him for 5 years you do it because

A: he will likely grow into the contract because he's young and will provide surplus value in the latter years of the contract

B: Even if he doesn't improve its moot, because he'll provide surplus value anyways when the cap goes up in the latter part of the deal.

A long term contract is a win, simple as that

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
right, exactly.

Right. Only possible logical explanations are the ones you provided. :rolleyes:

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
right, exactly.

If "1" is the case he's acting like Kesler where he expects the team to carry him to victory instead of vice versa and if that's the case we should listen to any offers anybody has to trade him. A third possibility is that the Canucks still aren't convinced that he can last for 8 years without some cataclysmic injury that renders him much less effective (which is a distinct possibility). Dismiss this out of hand if you will but if that happens Benning will look like a genius...

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
right, exactly.

3) Pettersson thinks he can better capitalize on his play in the next 3 years to sign a more lucrative extension.

That's a reasonable assumption given how last season went for him.

Reactions: Fraser28

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
3) Pettersson thinks he can better capitalize on his play in the next 3 years to sign a more lucrative extension.

That's a reasonable assumption given how last season went for him.

Add in the Myers contract expiring and we will have plenty of cap money to toss Pettersson's way. The timing is excellent. Hughes' term is up when OEL drops... Also wonderful timing.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
For the love of God give it a rest, you have your own lane for this type of posting (not just directed at you but a few others as well). Enough, a new season is going to start and we will see in the next 2 months what this team is made of.
A true fan starts to put the issues aside and now wishes for nothing but wins.
E96F4D88-EF32-425D-98B9-327B883635A1.gif

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Sigh you are wrong, True fans? you mean the ones constantly calling JB Dim Jim? In your world are those are true fans?

Signed long as possible? What an open-ended statement? I guess we could have signed EP for $12M x 8 as that meets your definition of long as possible.

There are no management bootlickers, there are posters that are tired of the same comments cluttering every thread. If anything there are just some real negative people here that care more about complaining than being a fan of the team. Oh wait I forgot I wear rose coloured glasses and now I realize I lick boots as well.
I mean if you are a fan of the team that you should be furious that this team has been mismanaged for so long.
It’s not negative, it’s about facing reality. The team has been near the bottom for like 6/7 years, of course everything we talk about is going to sound negative. You are acting as if it’s wrong to be unhappy about a management team that managed to get us to finish last in a weak ass north division 7 years into a “we might be rebuilding or maybe not or it’s really just a day to day kinda thing for us” period.
We have a superstar but we can’t sign him to long term contracts because the idiots think Tanner f***ing Pearson is more important. Like seriosuly wtf is wrong with you Benning bros. Yeah we hate Benning, because the process and the results are f***ed up. You are tired of us being negative? You think we enjoy seeing our team being the laughing stock of the league? GTFO

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
I mean if you are a fan of the team that you should be furious that this team has been mismanaged for so long.
It’s not negative, it’s about facing reality. The team has been near the bottom for like 6/7 years, of course everything we talk about is going to sound negative. You are acting as if it’s wrong to be unhappy about a management team that managed to get us to finish last in a weak ass north division 7 years into a “we might be rebuilding or maybe not or it’s really just a day to day kinda thing for us” period.
We have a superstar but we can’t sign him to long term contracts because the idiots think Tanner f***ing Pearson is more important. Like seriosuly wtf is wrong with you Benning bros. Yeah we hate Benning, because the process and the results are f***ed up. You are tired of us being negative? You think we enjoy seeing our team being the laughing stock of the league? GTFO
What people don't like is every thread turning into a Benning this Benning that thread.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
What people don't like is every thread turning into a Benning this Benning that thread.
He is running the team, of course majority of the thread is going to go back to Benning. It’s not like people are talking about Benning in the Woo thread. This is a Petey contract thread, who the f*** did you think signed him? Are we suppose to talk about everything about that except for the person responsible for it?

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
He is running the team, of course majority of the thread is going to go back to Benning. It’s not like people are talking about Benning in the Woo thread. This is a Petey contract thread, who the f*** did you think signed him? Are we suppose to talk about everything about that except for the person responsible for it?
latest

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
right, exactly.

What about option 3. Pettersson signed a 3 year bridge contract to maximize his career earnings. This is very common. I don't see any blame on management in that scenario.

Sneezy

Oct 25, 2019
right, exactly.

And yet none of them are true, they are rumours with zero facts behind it, you are basically making up stuff to support your narrative.

There is really only 1 realistic possibility here:

1) EP and his agent wanted a AM contract but awesome JB said no

Sneezy

Oct 25, 2019

I did not say it was wrong, I said it does not need to be polluting every thread by the same posters.

I also said that there is not a single fan who is happy with everything JB has done.

I also said that it is what it is and it is time to sit back and enjoy the team and see what happens.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
I also said that it is what it is and it is time to sit back and enjoy the team and see what happens.

You didn't say that, though. You said only 'true fans' ignore things (or, to use your phrasing, 'put it aside') and see what happens.

The problem is that many fans have been 'seeing what happens' for a number of years now. But that isn't relevant. Because we are all supposed to have the memory of a goldfish? We're not allowed to understand causality? Oh, right, because people who aren't 'waiting and seeing' wouldn't be 'true fans.'

Reactions: MarkMM and Pavel96

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad