Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign F Elias Pettersson to 3-Year Deal ($7.35M AAV)

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
That is his agents job and agenda, thats the point… I think Peterson will stay past this deal because he will get paid. His agent has maximised his carrier earnings and the Canucks have maximised the time he plays here - one year. I is entirely possible that this is the deal that was going to fit best all along so management decided to build around that… maybe they backed a few wrong horses but the reasoning is fine IMO

i was agreeing with your original post. i think the term we got maximizes the potential to resign the guy. we will have myers expiring contract money. we will not have hughes to pay anytime soon. we will have another rfa year as leverage. if he is good we will not mind paying him. we will be poised to tie up his peak ufa age years.

let's hope it works out.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Friedman also said that the Rantanen deal was an option as well. I don't know if long term=8 but they likely could've got six if they had the cap for it.

7.85+9.25=17.1M which the Canucks didn't have unless Hamonic opted out

I thought the narrative is that Petey clearly didn't want to sign a long term deal because he didn't want to commit to a losing franchise? :sarcasm:

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Pettersson on Rantanen's deal would have been horrible.

The Canucks are paying $22.05M over 3 years. To get up to $9.25 average over 6 years, that means the team would have been paying an average of over $11M per year for the final RFA year + 2 UFA years.

Pettersson is worth around $9.25M-$9.5M on an 8 year contract based on comparables.

I would rather a bridge deal that's on point for cap hit, then trade or re-sign at market in 3 years rather than overpaying for a medium term contract.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
BTW, another way of viewing the Rantanen contract as a comparable to Petterssen is to look at the Aho signing.

Aho was a little more accomplished than Petterssen when he signed his offer sheet - 5 years, $42,295,000. If Petterssen got the same contract, he would be overpaid. The Rantanen contract is 1 year longer, for $13.2 million more than the Aho deal.

Petterssen for 6 years would probably be around $8.2-$8.5M AAV (based on the final 3 years around $10M each).

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
BTW, another way of viewing the Rantanen contract as a comparable to Petterssen is to look at the Aho signing.

Aho was a little more accomplished than Petterssen when he signed his offer sheet - 5 years, $42,295,000. If Petterssen got the same contract, he would be overpaid. The Rantanen contract is 1 year longer, for $13.2 million more than the Aho deal.

Petterssen for 6 years would probably be around $8.2-$8.5M AAV (based on the final 3 years around $10M each).

if we could get pettersson for 6 years at less than aho at 5, i'd say benning messed up. but that is a pretty big if.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
if we could get pettersson for 6 years at less than aho at 5, i'd say benning messed up. but that is a pretty big if.
We've seen nothing indicating that Petterssen was willing to sign a longer term contract other than for an overpayment. Petterssen wanted to keep his power to move at the end of restricted free agency, and was willing to gamble on himself.

You can't force the other side to accept something they aren't willing to sign. In terms of 3 years deals, Petterssen's contract is very solid - on par with the value of the Barzal contract.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
i was agreeing with your original post. i think the term we got maximizes the potential to resign the guy. we will have myers expiring contract money. we will not have hughes to pay anytime soon. we will have another rfa year as leverage. if he is good we will not mind paying him. we will be poised to tie up his peak ufa age years.

let's hope it works out.

lol, sorry, I read that in the wrong tone in my head.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
So we could’ve had EP signed at around the Rantanen deal but didn’t have the cap space

Thanks Benning

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
We've seen nothing indicating that Petterssen was willing to sign a longer term contract other than for an overpayment. Petterssen wanted to keep his power to move at the end of restricted free agency, and was willing to gamble on himself.

You can't force the other side to accept something they aren't willing to sign. In terms of 3 years deals, Petterssen's contract is very solid - on par with the value of the Barzal contract.

Given what you said (which I don't disagree with), why are you concluding that Petey wanted to "keep his power to move on at the end of restricted free agency, and was willing to gamble on himself" when you yourself think that Petey was willing to sign a longer term contract?

How negotiations usually work is that they have different terms with different corresponding AAV. Take way that interview of Petey saying he wants to win, there's absolutely no indication that Petey was unwilling to sign a longer term deal. In fact, Friedman is under the impression that, at one point, a Rantanen type deal was doable. This implies that Petey was willing to sign a longer term contract. Dhaliwal talked about the two sides having different valuations. He did not say that a longer term was not on the table and not doable.

Players often sign bridge deals because a longer term deal could not be agreed upon. Like you said, you can't force the other side. What you consider an overpayment may simply be a difference in valuation. Perhaps the Canucks agreed with you and wasn't willing to go up Petey's asking price on a longer term deal.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
So we could’ve had EP signed at around the Rantanen deal but didn’t have the cap space

Thanks Benning

We could have afforded it if we bridged Hughes.

9.25 for Petey

6-6.5 for Hughes

=15.25-15.75 m

We had about 16.4m after the LTIR.

Sneezy

Oct 25, 2019
lmao, Benning outdoing himself again.

Why lock up your franchise player to a long-term deal when you could hamstring your flexibility by overpaying other middling players? Oh right...it's Jim Benning!

So now in three years the Canucks will be staring at Petey, a year from UFA, and the club will have to hope it can afford the $12+ million AAV it'll take to keep him around.

For the love of God give it a rest, you have your own lane for this type of posting (not just directed at you but a few others as well). Enough, a new season is going to start and we will see in the next 2 months what this team is made of. Time to get excited as what we see is what we have.

A true fan starts to put the issues aside and now wishes for nothing but wins.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
For the love of God give it a rest, you have your own lane for this type of posting (not just directed at you but a few others as well). Enough, a new season is going to start and we will see in the next 2 months what this team is made of. Time to get excited as what we see is what we have.

A true fan starts to put the issues aside and now wishes for nothing but wins.

I'm not giving it a rest because every time Benning makes a mistake, y'all are like "no wait and see", and then inevitably it turns out poorly.

A real fan wants this tortured franchise to win a Stanley Cup. Everything should be in service of that. I'm never going to be the rose-coloured homer fanbot who cheers blindly.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I'm not giving it a rest because every time Benning makes a mistake, y'all are like "no wait and see", and then inevitably it turns out poorly.

A real fan wants this tortured franchise to win a Stanley Cup. Everything should be in service of that. I'm never going to be the rose-coloured homer fanbot who cheers blindly.

So if this team wins a Stanley Cup under Benning's tutelage you will give him full credit for that, right? Of course you (and those of your ilk) won't.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014

Stop thinking!! Just be a fan and forget the details of the sport!!

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
So I heard JP Barry's interview on Donnie and Dhali. As expected, they wanted to work on a 5 year deal and found the comparables hard. I'm guessing the comparables are Kaprizov (whose contract included 2 UFA years) and Aho (2? UFA years)? I don't think CAA wants to use those comparables for Petey.

Reactions: krutovsdonut

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
So if this team wins a Stanley Cup under Benning's tutelage you will give him full credit for that, right? Of course you (and those of your ilk) won't.

Of course I will. Unlike the pro-Benning camp, my analysis is as objective as I can be. Whenever Benning makes a positive move, I've always made mention of it (e.g. the Burrows/Hansen actual rebuilding moves, keeping Demko over Markstrom, Dickinson trade was solid, I actually liked the Toffoli acquisition - apart from bungling what should've been a very simple re-signing, filling out the roster with credible depth options like Di Giuseppe, Petan, etc). I'll happily revise my opinion on the Miller trade, I was too negative then.

The issue is the positive moves are vanishingly small. And in no way compensate for the enormous mistakes Benning has made.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I like the way Bridge deals set up a player for his long term contract

The long term contract ""IF"" Vancouver convinces him to sign it takes him to 33 years old which is paying him all prime years in big money.
Point will be the same
Barzal will be the same

Once that escrow percentages drops to its lowest amount in the final year at 6% in 23/24.

Then offer to front-load the bejesus out of the contract in signing bonuses a-la Marner and Tavares to hopefully entice him with like $30 million in signing bonuses due within a year of signing the deal.

Sneezy

Oct 25, 2019

No you are wrong, we don't cheer blindly, we are just not here day after day whining about the same thing. There is not a single poster here who doesn't think JB made some mistake but that was yesterday and this team is the team we will see. So instead of whining just sit back and relax and watch the team and hopefully you will be surprised.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
No you are wrong, we don't cheer blindly, we are just not here day after day whining about the same thing. There is not a single poster here who doesn't think JB made some mistake but that was yesterday and this team is the team we will see. So instead of whining just sit back and relax and watch the team and hopefully you will be surprised.

"Stop analyzing mistakes! That was yesterday! Today is a clean slate!"

Considering the Petey/Hughes contracts were just signed, I think they are pretty reasonable topics of discussion.

Reactions: racerjoe

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
"Mistakes" with RFA signings can be interesting discussions. Back in the day, most declared that bridging PK Subban was a mistake because after those 3 years it cost the Canadiens a lot more to re-sign him. Turns out the mistake was that by bridging him instead of signing him to a long term contract at the outset, Montreal effectively tacked on 3 years to his contract.

Of course, Montreal corrected the mistake by making the "mistake" of trading for the older Shea Weber. Then the last three years it looked like it wasn't a mistake afterall, but now it once again looks like a mistake with Weber potentially remaining on LTIR for the next 5 years but Subban's contract ends this year. Still, without Weber, the Canadiens might not have made a Cup Finals run with Carey Price. So many mistakes...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad