Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign F Elias Pettersson to 3-Year Deal ($7.35M AAV)

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
To go longer like the agent said they discussed the team would need more cap space than they had.

Disputing that and inventing the theory that the bridge is to maximize career earnings does not follow what the agency said.

The agenda for those unwilling to accept they didn’t have the space to go long for both players is exactly that an agenda. It’s the same old low bar, no accountability stuff.

What’s done is done and hopefully it works in the organizations favour but to act like what occurred preceding this contract had no impact or effect is nonsense.

Sneezy

Oct 25, 2019
You didn't say that, though. You said only 'true fans' ignore things (or, to use your phrasing, 'put it aside') and see what happens.

The problem is that many fans have been 'seeing what happens' for a number of years now. But that isn't relevant. Because we are all supposed to have the memory of a goldfish? We're not allowed to understand causality? Oh, right, because people who aren't 'waiting and seeing' wouldn't be 'true fans.'

Wow way to reach, not even going to respond and take that for what it is.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Dude, it was literally what you said. Would you like me to link you to the post you made?
latest

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Disputing that and inventing the theory that the bridge is to maximize career earnings does not follow what the agency said.

The Canucks don't have the cap room to sign Petey to a 5 year contract if Petey is looking at Matthews type money. That is true. But that's different from saying that the Canucks couldn't sign Petey to a 5 year contract for less than $9M AAV and bridge Hughes.

The theory that the bridge is to maximize career earnings isn't a theory that came out of thin air. The way to maximize career earnings is to get to arbitration as fast as possible and get to unrestricted free agency as fast as possible. Do you disagree?

We can't sit here and say that players like Petey should be locked up long term because otherwise it will cost the team more in the long run and then say a bridge doesn't potentially set up a player to maximize career earnings.

Of course everything is a compromise. The fact that his agent said that they were pursuing a 5 year deal is already an attempt to maximize career earnings. Did anyone say that Toronto signed Matthews to the right term? Of course not. That was seen as Matthews only willing to give up one year of UFA and setting himself up to maximize his earnings.

A 5 year deal meant that Petey's AAV would be at least $9M AAV. 3 years for $22,050 vs 5 for $45M? That's $11,475M a year for year 4 and year 5 combined. Given Petey's arbitration eligible last RFA year is unlikely to be worth $11.475M, that puts the value of that 1 UFA year even higher.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
A 5 year deal meant that Petey's AAV would be at least $9M AAV. 3 years for $22,050 vs 5 for $45M? That's $11,475M a year for year 4 and year 5 combined. Given Petey's arbitration eligible last RFA year is unlikely to be worth $11.475M, that puts the value of that 1 UFA year even higher.

$9M x 5 is not in line with $7.35M x 3 for a guy who is only signing away one potential UFA season. Pettersson would have been around $8.5M x 5 years, similar to Aho. Kaprizov's $9M x 5 included two UFA seasons.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
3) Pettersson thinks he can better capitalize on his play in the next 3 years to sign a more lucrative extension.

That's a reasonable assumption given how last season went for him.
Why not sign for 2 years then?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
$9M x 5 is not in line with $7.35M x 3 for a guy who is only signing away one potential UFA season. Pettersson would have been around $8.5M x 5 years, similar to Aho. Kaprizov's $9M x 5 included two UFA seasons.

This has been discussed before. Your valuation of Petey is all fine and good but that doesn't mean Petey's agent thinks that's fair and a figure Petey would sign for.

Reactions: Sneezy

Sneezy

Oct 25, 2019
This has been discussed before. Your valuation of Petey is all fine and good but that doesn't mean Petey's agent thinks that's fair and a figure Petey would sign for.

This, there are 2 sides in negotiations, and both have to compromise.

A good problem to have is him actually earning an AM contract in 3 years.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Why not sign for 2 years then?

Canucks have some say in that And they are trying to keep him as long as they can. And by signing 3 years he gets another UFA year worth of money on his next contract. Then there is the cap going up a bit more…

A big reason is lack of comparables. 2 year bridges are typically given to young players who play further down the lineup. Matthew Tkachuk, Barzal, Boeser, and Point - all these guys signed 3 year bridge deals. Laine notably signed for 2 and based on the reports it seems like it was something Laine pushed for on his end. As it turns out, that might have been a mistake on Laine's part (that might have been a mistake on Laine's part).

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Just checking...so, we need to start worrying about Pettersson's deal that's up in 3 years, that he might just force the QO for a 4th. Got it. Good to know.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Just wish he could build some strength in his lower body. He still has bambi legs from his rookie year and doesn't look one bit stronger.

I think he's going to rebound this year somewhat, but he so seems mentally fragile right now.

Vegas is making a go for Eichel. Do we interject and trade EP? I'm not sure I would have done it earlier, but his tragic play is making me question myself. Could even get another pick prospect on top of it.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Just wish he could build some strength in his lower body. He still has bambi legs from his rookie year and doesn't look one bit stronger.

I think he's going to rebound this year somewhat, but he so seems mentally fragile right now.

Vegas is making a go for Eichel. Do we interject and trade EP? I'm not sure I would have done it earlier, but his tragic play is making me question myself. Could even get another pick prospect on top of it.
I personally didnt see or hear anything about EP offseason training at all let alone improving specific skills or deficiencies, like you see clips of the top tier players doing.

Reactions: Grantham

dman34

May 6, 2011
What about option 3. Pettersson signed a 3 year bridge contract to maximize his career earnings. This is very common. I don't see any blame on management in that scenario.

He sure won’t have maximized his earnings if he continues playing like this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad