Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign D Olli Juolevi to 1-Year Deal ($750K)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yeah doesn't appear like he's in our plans atm...........really wonder how much effect those earlier injuries had on his career so far? His mobility def. is his biggest issue imo.

Personally I hope that he sticks but I would not at all be surprised to see him gone here.............ugh...........just ugh

All the issues we’re seeing now were visible in London in his draft+1 before he suffered any injuries.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Man when Benning telegraphed he was taking a D-man for months I really really thought it was going to be Sergachev. I wish I had been correct…

And then when Tkachuk fell it just got worse. Sigh.

Hopefully we can at least close this book soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: wetcoast

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Man when Benning telegraphed he was taking a D-man for months I really really thought it was going to be Sergachev. I wish I had been correct…

And then when Tkachuk fell it just got worse. Sigh.

Hopefully we can at least turn close this book soon.

the most frustrating thing about that draft is that Chychrun was the consensus best D in the draft all year, and then the WJC happened and everyone changed their minds.

Chychrun is an absolute stud and the WJC is completely irrelevant

Reactions: RainbowDeathBunny

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
the most frustrating thing about that draft is that Chychrun was the consensus best D in the draft all year, and then the WJC happened and everyone changed their minds.

U-18s, not even the WJC.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Chych literally won dman of the year in the same league, and we picked some other guy ahead of him.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Craig Button saying that the top-end for Juolevi is a depth defender.....which is a crushing disappointment for a fifth overall draft pick.

I really hope the Canucks can find trading partner before he hits the waiver wire on Monday. But then from all reports they tried to find a trade for Gadjovich for the same reason, but couldn't do it.

50/50 on whether or not he clears.....because he only has a one-year contract. So somebody might take a chance on him.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
At this point, I'm fine with just waiving him. I truly do wish Olli the best and he carves out a career somewhere.

Reactions: wetcoast

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Oh yeah, too many better options :laugh:
There was a better dman, on the same junior team, that was taken in the 4th round of the same draft.

"At just 23 years old, Mete already has logged almost 200 NHL games, and has been solid in most of them, totaling 5 goals and 31 assists. He was relied on to play a large role for the team down the stretch, logging over 23 minutes in four of the team’s last five games in the season, and there’s a good chance he’ll be able to do the same next year. Perhaps a permanent second-pair role is in his future."

Ottawa Senators Top 25 Under 25, #13: Victor Mete

Reactions: racerjoe

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
I still remember that feeling of them reading out his name on the stage at the draft, and thinking "WHO???" Such a sickening, upsetting feeling, seeing the obvious talent that was turned away for a chance to have Juolevi. Then I remember calming down a little after I googled him, and thinking "Well, they're the experts... I guess they must know what they're doing with this pick? I'll try to have a little faith."

So much for a little faith. When it comes to our top picks I'm glad it worked out so well with Petey, Huggy, Brock, Hogz -- and Podz seems to be shaping into a decent pick -- but the dismal failures that were Shotgun Jake and Juolevi sure temper that success a bit, don't they? I mean, I know they can't all be winners, but Top 6 NHL draft picks.... it's undebatable that anything less than a player that easily makes your team is a catastrophic failure.

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

BrilliantBroReferee

May 18, 2021
He is done here. He can't even crack the 3rd pair on a bad defence. He is the biggest bust in Canucks history if you consider the postion he was drafted in and who was threre on a silver platter. At least Shotgun was an NHL player.

Reactions: David71

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
hes gonna get traded for another project or player maybe seattle? they have an abundance of dman. lauzon? or soucy?

lawrence

May 19, 2012
It's unfortunate but as tantalum said, it's time to close the book on this guy. He probably asked for a trade for a different scenery, even with a Struggling Rathbone going ahead of him on our depth chart.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
It's unfortunate but as tantalum said, it's time to close the book on this guy. He probably asked for a trade for a different scenery, even with a Struggling Rathbone going ahead of him on our depth chart.

Yup. I do think he has the skill set to stick around a team as a depth guy / bottom pairing guy, but given the glut of those types we have now, it makes sense for all involved to move on. Or for him to end up in Abbotsford if that’s not possible.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver

Didn’t he drop because of injury? I tried to look for it, but could only find his knee injury in his rookie year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad