Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign D Olli Juolevi to 1-Year Deal ($750K)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
80DC205D-74B7-4BB4-910D-0995A599F95C.gif

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Definitely make or break time for Juolevi in this coming camp. Lot of competition for the depth defender spots on the team with Hunt, Schenn and Keeper being acquired.

Reactions: MarkMM

Sinistril

Oct 26, 2008
Expected. Hopefully OJ can make the roster. I expect he will be a defensively responsible #6.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Makes sense. I imagine discussions went like this.

Juolevi's agent: Yeah it's been a tough ride, we are just hoping for a 1 year show-me deal. My client has been unlucky and all.
Benning: You know....
Juolevi's agent: Nope, don't say anymore. Our request is 750k. It's been signed by both of us, just sign there.
Benning: Uhhh you know, I had a 2.5 mil x 3 year contract here....
Juolevi's agent: f***ing hell.

Sinistril

Oct 26, 2008
Makes sense. I imagine discussions went like this.

Juolevi's agent: Yeah it's been a tough ride, we are just hoping for a 1 year show-me deal. My client has been unlucky and all.
Benning: You know....
Juolevi's agent: Nope, don't say anymore. Our request is 750k. It's been signed by both of us, just sign there.
Benning: Uhhh you know, I had a 2.5 mil x 3 year contract here....
Juolevi's agent: f***ing hell.

Must have seemed funnier in your head

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Fifth overall draft pick in 2016 who re-signs for one year at the league minimum...even less than what he was earning on his ELC last season. That's pretty hard to do.

But he's an RFA at the end of the year, so if he stumbles again there's a chance the Canuck don't even qualify him. Still a guy I could see being traded before the end of next season. For whatever reason, former high first round picks always retain some currency.

He's on a Nolan Patrick path. Resigned with Philly at the league minimum coming out of his ELC and then dealt to Knights in a three way deal with Chicago. Will likely never justify being the second overall pick in 2017.

All you need to do is find a Jim Benning clone out there who figures he'll be the one to mine all that latent talent.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i wonder how many top ten prospects over the years have clawed back from a league minimum one year deal to become nhl regulars?

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Fifth overall draft pick in 2016 who re-signs for one year at the league minimum...even less than what he was earning on his ELC last season. That's pretty hard to do.

But he's an RFA at the end of the year, so if he stumbles again there's a chance the Canuck don't even qualify him. Still a guy I could see being traded before the end of next season. For whatever reason, former high first round picks always retain some currency.

Was surprisingly looking better in his 2nd AHL season but man, the guys knees are shot, and you can see by his weak lateral movements. It's one thing if he just had an attitude issue like Virtanen but Juolevi was never a high pedigree talent and has a laundry list of injuries that's clearly evident. Not sure if he has any trade value even as a former #5 pick.

It's a shame, while I hated the pick.... I really wanted this player to pull it off.

Last edited:

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Seems like the injuries have really hurt his pivoting ability. Not sure if he can recover from that and become a decent bottom pairing guy.
Rooting for Juolevi as unlike Virtanen he’s at least put in the effort to succeed. It’s not his fault he was a poor pick at that position in the draft.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Man I wanted this kid to succeed.
I think he has a decent IQ and good passing

but over the course of like 4 games in row this guy got beat off the rush by some of the slowest trash in the north division

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad