Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign D Olli Juolevi to 1-Year Deal ($750K)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Really comes down to skating, if Juolevi can get that up to below-average (like a 3 or 4, with 5 being positionally average), then his passing and size should make him an NHL'er. Definitely a make or break year, at least with the Canucks. I'm pretty high on Rathbone, though, so I'm not sure how he fits on the left side, assuming no one else switches to the right side.
Actually, the competition for spots on the Canucks blueline in training camp will be pretty anti-climactic.

They've got Poolman, Schenn and Hamonic on the right side; One the left side, OEL, Hughes and Rathbone....Myers is the swing man who can play either side.

So if the Canucks carry seven d-men, then Juolevi starts the year in Abbotsford. If they carry eight, then he's pressbox fodder again. I know Rathbone can be sent down without waivers, but he's so far ahead of Juolevi imo that he'd really have to do a face-plant at training camp not to stick.

Who else is there? I know some posters are stumping for Brad Hunt. But he's an undersized d-man who brings some offense, but little else. And Woo needs at least another year or two in the AHL. The rest of the d-men they signed are really for Abbotsford.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Great. They like playing for him. Could it be because he demands virtually no accountability for his forwards in the defensive zone? Sounds like a fun guy to play for.

Seriously? We are scrambling in our own end regularly because he doesn't want/is incapable of implementing a defensive structure where forwards and D work as a 5-man unit to exit their zone with puck possession. Instead, it's a free for all where we have to hope for broken plays to create odd-man rushes going the other way when the opposing team overreaches in their possession in our zone.

That is a terrible way to run a team. For one, we bleed crazy numbers of high quality chances against. Second, it tires out our players because scrambling is an exhausting way to play hockey. Third, exhaustion leads to injuries, which is exacerbated by our terrible travel schedule. Four, defense keeps you in games and allows you to steal points in OT, which keeps you in the hunt for a playoff spot. Five, defense is necessary to advance in the postseason barring your goalie putting on an all-world performance while the other team's goalie craps the bed - yes, I'm referring to the playoffs in the bubble.

The defense has been bad, no argument here. We've all been talking about how horrible the make up of our blueline is as well as our aged and slow bottom 6 forward group from last year. So it sounds awfully lot like unreasonable expectations for Green.
This year we have a pretty good top 9 forward group and at least a handful of RHD's that Green can tinker with.

Resorting to arguments that 'this team is a free for all in its own end' isn't indicative of Green's ability. In fact, it isn't breaking down the play or defensive zone at all. I mentioned in another post that I think coaching is an area where even dienhard fans struggle to analyze or critique- and that's because we mostly don't know what we're watching (apologies to any former high level coaches here). We sit and watch and think to ourselves 'oh wow our teams looks bad...f***ing Green'. If you have a real breakdown of what makes Green a bad coach I'd love to hear that.

Dural

Jul 1, 2013
Oh, I think the team will know pretty quickly. All the scenarios where Juolevi starts the year in the NHL involve him making big strides in skating, and the team wanting Rathbone to get more ice time in the AHL.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Oh, I think the team will know pretty quickly. All the scenarios where Juolevi starts the year in the NHL involve him making big strides in skating, and the team wanting Rathbone to get more ice time in the AHL.
You have to hand it to some Canuck fans.....they're glass-half-full people who always remain optimistic. Good on them.

But the script with Juolevi hasn't changed for the last three seasons, and he's now 23. Somehow he'll come back from the off-season transformed. He'll have recovered from all his injuries, and his skating and mobility will improve by the 50-60 percent that it has to for him to survive in the league.

But the reality is by 23 most guys are what they are. He showed some glimmers last season that seemed to indicate that he could be a depth guy at least. But that quickly dissipated. He was a disaster paired with Myers and it was cruel and unusual punishment watching him on a tandem with Chatfield.

There's a reason why the Canucks handed him a one-year 'show me' contract for the league minimum. If they were really convinced he was going to make it, they'd have tried to lock him up for 2-3 years at least.

But we're soon about to find out. With a normal training camp and exhibition schedule, Juolevi will get a lot of looks and will have to really impress to stick. Simply 'surviving' out there won't be good enough.

Reactions: DarrenX

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
You have to hand it to some Canuck fans.....they're glass-half-full people who always remain optimistic. Good on them.

But the script with Juolevi hasn't changed for the last three seasons, and he's now 23. Somehow he'll come back from the off-season transformed. He'll have recovered from all his injuries, and his skating and mobility will improve by the 50-60 percent that it has to for him to survive in the league.

But the reality is by 23 most guys are what they are. He showed some glimmers last season that seemed to indicate that he could be a depth guy at least. But that quickly dissipated. He was a disaster paired with Myers and it was cruel and unusual punishment watching him on a tandem with Chatfield.

There's a reason why the Canucks handed him a one-year 'show me' contract for the league minimum. If they were really convinced he was going to make it, they'd have tried to lock him up for 2-3 years at least.

But we're soon about to find out. With a normal training camp and exhibition schedule, Juolevi will get a lot of looks and will have to really impress to stick. Simply 'surviving' out there won't be good enough.

No real reason for OJ to sign a multi deal unless it came with a higher AAV. 1 year deal for around his QO was always the only option that made sense for both sides.

I'd have preferred a 2 year deal at a buriable cap hit. But short of having given up on himself and just being happy with getting a big pay cheque (relative to non professional athletes), it doesn't make sense from Juolevi's POV.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
The defense has been bad, no argument here. We've all been talking about how horrible the make up of our blueline is as well as our aged and slow bottom 6 forward group from last year. So it sounds awfully lot like unreasonable expectations for Green.
This year we have a pretty good top 9 forward group and at least a handful of RHD's that Green can tinker with.

Resorting to arguments that 'this team is a free for all in its own end' isn't indicative of Green's ability. In fact, it isn't breaking down the play or defensive zone at all. I mentioned in another post that I think coaching is an area where even dienhard fans struggle to analyze or critique- and that's because we mostly don't know what we're watching (apologies to any former high level coaches here). We sit and watch and think to ourselves 'oh wow our teams looks bad...f***ing Green'. If you have a real breakdown of what makes Green a bad coach I'd love to hear that.

I sincerely hope you're right, but from my perspective, there's no reason to believe that Green has some hidden extra gear. Agree to disagree I guess.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
The Portland team went to the finals the very year before Green was even coach. They were stacked and had like a .750 winning percentage before green took over. He went to the Calder cup of the back of Markstrom insane goaltending outside that year he never won a single playoff round in the AHL. He missed the playoff the very season he got promoted.

Reactions: Hit the post

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
The Portland team went to the finals the very year before Green was even coach. They were stacked and had like a .750 winning percentage before green took over. He went to the Calder cup of the back of Markstrom insane goaltending outside that year he never won a single playoff round in the AHL. He missed the playoff the very season he got promoted.

My research shows in 2014-15 Green went to then Calder Cup final with Utica. I don't know maybe I'm missing some extra info. I'll digress from the Green talk though as it's off topic.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I'm disappointed. Wanted to see him get a run of games and see how he does before giving up on him. To me, reeks a bit like the Gadjovitch waiving.

Better to get a 5th than losing him on waivers. Expecting a similar level/situation prospect, giving both the proverbial fresh start.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Lol the guy even took a lower deal to put himself in the lead position for that bottom of roster spot

what a pair of losers, olli and oatmeal brain Benning

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
If a team trades for him my opinion on nhl management can’t really stoop any lower.

Hes never even flashed an nhl career since his draft.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
Yeah doesn't appear like he's in our plans atm...........really wonder how much effect those earlier injuries had on his career so far? His mobility def. is his biggest issue imo.

Personally I hope that he sticks but I would not at all be surprised to see him gone here.............ugh...........just ugh

Reactions: David71
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad