Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign D Olli Juolevi to 1-Year Deal ($750K)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Man when Benning telegraphed he was taking a D-man for months I really really thought it was going to be Sergachev. I wish I had been correct…

And then when Tkachuk fell it just got worse. Sigh.

Hopefully we can at least close this book soon.

Right or wrong that book will never close while Benning is the GM here.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
There was a better dman, on the same junior team, that was taken in the 4th round of the same draft.

"At just 23 years old, Mete already has logged almost 200 NHL games, and has been solid in most of them, totaling 5 goals and 31 assists. He was relied on to play a large role for the team down the stretch, logging over 23 minutes in four of the team’s last five games in the season, and there’s a good chance he’ll be able to do the same next year. Perhaps a permanent second-pair role is in his future."

Ottawa Senators Top 25 Under 25, #13: Victor Mete

Victor Mete is a guy who is a great skater but that's about it, a depth defender.

Harold

Aug 17, 2006
Kelowna
Blackhawks drafted Cam Barker 3rd overall in 04, then Jack Skille 7th overall in '05. Shit happens.

That doesn’t answer his question though. The Blackhawks had two separate GMs draft Barker and Skille. Bob Pulford drafted Barker and was then fired before the 2005 draft.

Benning shouldn’t have been given the chance to screw up two top 6 draft picks. Chicago (your example), didn’t give their GM that opportunity.

Reactions: MarkMM

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
That doesn’t answer his question though. The Blackhawks had two separate GMs draft Barker and Skille. Bob Pulford drafted Barker and was then fired before the 2005 draft.

Benning shouldn’t have been given the chance to screw up two top 6 draft picks. Chicago (your example), didn’t give their GM that opportunity.
And Tallon was fired 5 years in and he drafted Kane and Toews. Yet we’ve got low bar mr no accountability for 8 seasons now? Sad.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Virtanen and Juolevi as back to back top 6 picks really f***ed this team's future, regardless of who else they drafted.

No team can afford to blow both of those picks. Hell, even one of them is terrible. Two is completely inexcusable and should be immediate grounds for termination - but Benning will probably just get a raise.

We could have Ehlers and McAvoy in our lineup right now. Or Nylander and Tkachuk. Or Sergachev, Chychrun, Keller...any of them would do wonders for this roster right now.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Virtanen and Juolevi as back to back top 6 picks really f***ed this team's future, regardless of who else they drafted.

No team can afford to blow both of those picks. Hell, even one of them is terrible. Two is completely inexcusable and should be immediate grounds for termination - but Benning will probably just get a raise.

You do know if even one of them turned out this team would be drastically different right. Its not like that its an isolated variable.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Defensemen takes longer to develop.

The best years of his hockey are ahead.

He's been injured a lot.

Leadership.

4th line culture

Jan 11, 2020
I can't believe you're saying Tkachuk was a better pick when he's played 350 NHL games, and Juolevi has only played 20. Your bias is showing.

Yeah but if the Canucks drafted Tkachuk their 1st may not have been high enough to trade for oel and Garland. Jim had his eye on the future, it was all part of the plan.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
From the London Knights......

giphy.gif

Carl Carlson

Jan 7, 2009
If we get a 4th or 5th pick for him we take that and run. Juolevi is nothing more than AHL caliber and I expect he'll be plying his trade in Europe soon. We all knew he was the wrong pick the moment it was announced.

Reactions: Metalwood

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Victor Mete is a guy who is a great skater but that's about it, a depth defender.
Mete was also selected 195 spots after Juolevi, in the same draft, and they played on the same junior team. In their D+1, I remember reading about how Mete was more of the # 1 dman for London than Juolevi and I couldn't believe it considering where they were selected. I believe it now.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
According to Rick Dhaliwal, Benning is working the phones trying to find a new home for Juolevi before he has to put him on waivers. But I'd be surprised if there were any takers.

Somebody who's interested will probably just wait until he hits the waiver wire. His one-year contract for basically the league minimum will entice somebody.

If he goes, it'll be the end for surely one of the most disappointing draft picks in Canuck history. In 52 years I can't remember a guy the Canucks drafted in the top-five, who basically flopped as badly as Juolevi. And considering some of the disappointing players the Canucks have drafted in the top-10 over the years, that's really saying something.

Reactions: Metalwood

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
According to Rick Dhaliwal, Benning is working the phones trying to find a new home for Juolevi before he has to put him on waivers. But I'd be surprised if there were any takers.

Somebody who's interested will probably just wait until he hits the waiver wire. His one-year contract for basically the league minimum will entice somebody.

If he goes, it'll be the end for surely one of the most disappointing draft picks in Canuck history. In 52 years I can't remember a guy the Canucks drafted in the top-five, who basically flopped as badly as Juolevi. And considering some of the disappointing players the Canucks have drafted in the top-10 over the years, that's really saying something.
Honorable mention goes to Jake Virtanen (@ 6th overall).

Drafting guru.:thumbu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad